“The Trinity in Unity” – a mosaic of over 150,000 pieces of glass showing the primary contents of Hildegard’s illumination from Scivias.
Laus Trinitati, Quae sonus et vita Ac creatrix omnium In vita Ipsorum est. Et quae laus angelicae turbae Et mirus splendor arcanorum, Quae hominibus ignota sunt, est, Et quae in omnibus vita est. -- St. Hildegard To the Trinity be praise! God is music, God is life That nurtures every creature in its kind. Our God is the song of the angel throng And the splendor of secret ways Hid from all humankind, But God our life is the life of all. Tr. Barbara Newman, Symphonia
Hildegard’s Reliquary, containing her mortal remains (her skull, hair, heart, tongue and other bones) and some relics of Giselbert (to whom Hildegard’s monastery was dedicated in 1165), Wigbert and Rupertus.
A glass cabinet reliquary, which includes the skull of St. Gudula, patron saint of Brussels, given to Hildegard by friends from Brabant.
1969 Pebble Mosaic illustrating Hildegard’s life, added to the left side of the church. Left – (top) Her supernatural gift: flames over her head (the “Living Light”), left hand upward, right hand holding a writing tool. (Middle) Volmar transcribing her visions. (Bottom) Presenting Scivias to Pope Eugene III by Bernhard of Clairvaux. Right – Hildegard is portrayed as a saint (halo) and founder of the Eibingen monastery. In the medallion, the parish church at Eibingen (built in 1935 on the site of the monastery, and the Abbey on the hill above, built in 1908. Right -- Hildegard’s death, at which a red cross appeared in the sky, surrounded by multicolored light. In the middle, she is seen caring for the sick, and at the bottom, speaking with emperor Frederic I, Barbarossa, after he asked her to come to the imperial castle at Ingleheim. After the visit, he placed the Rupertsberg monastery under imperial protection. When Rupertsberg was destroyed in the 30-years War (1632), the imperial rights and privileges were transferred to the monastery at Eibingen.