Presentation on theme: "Batu Gajah Gospel Hall 2011 New Year Thanksgiving Service By KC Ung CROSSING RIVER JORDAN The people came up out of Jordan…and encamped in Gilgal Josh."— Presentation transcript:
Batu Gajah Gospel Hall 2011 New Year Thanksgiving Service By KC Ung CROSSING RIVER JORDAN The people came up out of Jordan…and encamped in Gilgal Josh. 4:19
Introduction : Nearly 40 years had elapsed since Crossing the Red Sea. Num. 14:33, 34 One generation had Wasted their lives away in the Wilderness.Num 33 Joshua was 80 years old when he received his commission. Josh. 1: 2
1. The Appointment Joshua Ch. 1 a. The Circumstances. Josh. 1:1, 2 i. A Period of 40 years of Dearth was Past. Deut. 29:5ff ct. 1:2 ii. Moses, God’s Servant, had Passed away. Deut. 34:7; 32:48-52 cf. Num. 20:7-12 ct. Exo. 17:6 iii. The Time had come to Proceed. Josh. 1:1, 2 b. The Call. Unto Joshua i. It was Personal. 1:1, 9 ii. It was Precise. 1:2-4 iii. It was with Promise. 1:5, 9
1. The Appointment. Joshua ch. 1 c. The Command Go over to possess. 1:2-4 i. The Land was theirs Legally. 1:2-4 ii. The Land had to be theirs Actually. 1:3 d. The Conditions i.Only be Strong and Courageous. 1:6, 7, 9, 18 ii. Observe the Scripture and Commandments. 1:7 Observe the Law. Obey the Commandments. Meditate upon them. Memorise them.
1. The Appointment Josh. Ch. 1 a. The Circumstances Joshua 1:1, 2 b. The Call c. The Command. 1:2-4 d. The Conditions. e. The Consequences. 1:8b i. "for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous." ii. "and then thou shalt have good success."
2. The Advancemet or Crossing River Jordan. Josh. Ch The Appointment Josh. Ch. 1 a. The Circumstances b. The Call c. The Command d. The Conditions e. The Consequences. a.East of Jordan or Count the Cost. i.The Prospect – in Sight of the Promised Land but Separated by:
Jordan’s Turbulent Waters - the Step of Faith.3:15b Jericho’s Threatening Walls – the Stimulus to Fight. 3:16c The Rushing and Turbulent Jordan River is now a Sewage Cesspool The famous turbulent river that Moses was forbidden to cross over, and Israel refused to cross when the ten spies brought back reports of luscious crops but large fortressed cities of Canaanites and led to a whole generation of Hebrews to die in the wilderness, is now a mere trickle that by next year may dry up completely. The Jordan River that in 1847 was described by a U.S. Naval officer as a “deafening roar of the tumultuous waters”. It is today expected to dry up in 2011 according to a team of Israeli, Jordanian and Palestinian environmental scientists.
2. The Advancemet or Crossing River Jordan. Josh. Ch. 3 a. East of Jordan or Count the Cost. i. The Prospect – in Sight of the Promised Land but Separated by: Jordan’s Turbulent Waters - the Step of Faith.3:15b Jericho’s Threatening Walls – the Stimulus to Fight.3:16c To STEP FORWARD by Faith Or To STEP BACKWARD to a life of Frustration Cf. Num. 13:30, 31
2. The Advancement or Crossing River Jordan Josh. Ch a. East of Jordan or Count the Cost. i. The Prospect. ii. The Promise. God’s Presence, Power and Person assured. 3:7, 10, 11 The Living God is Among you The Ark of the Covenant… passeth over Before you iii. The Preparation. 3:5 Expunge – Sanctify yourselves. Expect – Tomorrow the Lord will do wonders. Experience it – it shall come to pass as soon as… 3:12, 13
a. East of Jordan or Count the Cost b. Edge of Jordan – Feet Forward in Faith Josh. 3:8 cf. v. 13 i. Stay Still until you see the Movement of the Ark. 3:1-3 ii. Space out from the Ark and Sanctify the people.3:4-6 iii. Stand Still and then Step on the Waters and Leave the rest to God.3:7-13 c. Midst of Jordan or Be Buried.3:17 i. ALL passed over on dry ground – Die to Death Cf. Rom. 6:11; 8:13 ALL passed Clean over Jordan – Bury the Bad in the River Bed. Rom. 6:18
2. The Advancement Or Crossing River Jordan a. East of Jordan or Count the Cost. b. Edge of Jordan or Feet Forward in Faith. c. Midst of Jordan or Be Buried d. Out of Jordan or Goodbye – no Going Back. i.A New Commemoration. a memorial 4:7 12 stones taken out. 4: stones in mid-Jordan. 4:9
Summary: Pictorial Crossing of River Jordan In Jordan In the Midst of Jordan Out of Jordan Dead with Christ } Rom. Buried with Christ } 6:2-11 Raised with Christ Col. 2:11, 12
d. Out of Jordan or Goodbye – no Going Back i. A New Commemoration ii. A New Commencement. They encamped in Gilgal. 4:19 Looking Back. 4:18 Looking Forward. 4:19 Gilgal – City of Refreshment, Remembrance, Renewal and Revival. 4:20-24 Past Failures Forgiven and Forgotten. 5:9 Passover Feast observed First Time in the Land.5:10 Promising Foretaste of the Food of the Land. 5:12
i. A New Commemoration ii. A New Commencement iii. A New Commitment. The Rite of Circumcision Revived Josh. 5:2-8 The Necessity The Circumcised males had died. The Covenant Relationship must be Revived. The Need: Their Reproach had Rolled away. 5:9 Their Relationship Righted with God. 5:9
iii. A New Commitment. The Rite of Circumcision Revived Josh. 5:2-8 The Ritual of Passover Renewed. 5:10-12 Passover Feast Observed First Time in the Land A Reminder of Redemption by Blood. Two Rituals of Circumcision and Passover merged. A Refreshing diet for the Nation. 5:11, 12
i. A New Commemoration ii. A New Commencement iii. A New Commitment. iv. A New Challenge. The Conquest of Jericho and other Cities. 5:13 cf. 24:11-13 The Captain of Jehovah. 5:14 His Revelation, Recognition and Joshua’s Reverence for Him.5:13-15
As we leave 2010 and enter 2011 LET US… Pass Over Jordan Press on from Gilgal Possess our Possessions starting with Jericho. This one thing I do… forgetting those things which are behind, reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Phil. 3:13, 14
“....The eyes of the Lord thy God are always upon thee, from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year ” (Deut 11:12). Frances Havergal : Another year is dawning, dear God, let it be In working or in waiting, another year with Thee. Another year of progress, another year of praise, Another year of proving Thy presence all the days. Another year of mercies, of faithfulness and grace, Another year of gladness in the shining of Thy face; Another year of leaning upon Thy loving breast; Another year of trusting, of quiet, happy rest. Another year of service, of witness for Thy love, Another year of training for holier work above. Another year is dawning, dear God, let it be On earth, or else in heaven, another year for Thee
A Blessed and Bountiful New Year To All of You. Visit: www. berita-bethel-ung.com