We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byJohn Lavinder
Modified about 1 year ago
The Rite of Confirmation © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
The Rite of Confirmation The Rite of Confirmation is celebrated during the mass. Mass begins in the usual way and continues as normal until the Gospel. After the Gospel everybody sits and the Confirmation ceremony itself begins. © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
The Rite of Confirmation The Confirmation ceremony is made up of four parts: 1. The Calling of Names. 2. The Renewal of Baptismal Promises. 3. The Laying on of Hands. 4. The Anointing with Chrism. © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
1. The Calling of Names A member of the community calls out the names of those to be confirmed. Each candidate stands on hearing his or her name called and remains standing until all the names have been called. The Bishop then invites all the candidates to sit and he addresses a short homily to them on the meaning of Confirmation. © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
1. The Calling of Names Jesus said: “I have called you by your name; you are mine.” © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
2. The Renewal of Baptismal Promises The Confirmation candidate renews the promises made at Baptism to resist evil and work for the spread of God’s Kingdom in the world. © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
2. The Renewal of Baptismal Promises We say “Yes” to the Christian way of life. © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
3. The Laying On of Hands In Old Testament times the laying on of hands was a sign that the love of God was being given to the person being blessed. In Confirmation, the Bishop lays his hands over those who are being confirmed. This is a sign that God is blessing them with the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is a sign that God is choosing them for a special mission. © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
3. The Laying On of Hands “Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 8: 14-17) © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
4. The Anointing With Chrism Each person to be confirmed is anointed with Chrism. This anointing symbolises receiving the Holy Spirit who is strengthening them to work for Jesus Christ. Being confirmed means being strengthened. The Bishop dips his thumb into the Chrism and then traces the sign of the cross on the forehead of the person he is confirming while he says the words: © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
4. The Anointing With Chrism “BE SEALED WITH THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.” © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
4. The Anointing With Chrism We say that in Confirmation we are sealed and marked forever when we are given the gift of the Holy Spirit. The sponsor, who presents the young person for Confirmation, encourages the young person by their example to work for Jesus Christ. © Seomra Ranga 2013 www.seomraranga.com
Why is the Holy Spirit represented by the colour red?
Sacraments. What can you remember? Use the clues to decide the Sacrament 1.The bishop is coming, I have Chrism ready, and each person receiving the sacrament.
Confirmation By: Kasey Habicht, Michelle Andruszko, Gennie Bruce, Carly Knowlton, and Laura Cavalli.
Sacraments Chapters Pentecost On the fiftieth day after Easter, the Holy Spirit descended upon the apostles. We celebrate that all those who believe.
Confirmation By: Mario Toro. The Breath of God Holy Spirit is the translation of an old Hebrew term that means “wind” or “breath of God” In the Scriptures.
The Confirmation Rite. The Sacrament The rite for the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation usually takes place at Mass “in order that the fundamental.
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? What do you know about the Sacrament of Confirmation?
Why are some adult Christians baptised or confirmed? Learning Objective: You should learn about the content of a confirmation and a believer's baptism.
Chapter 11: Confirmation Sacrament that perfects grace received in Baptism.
Chapter 19 Lesson 3 and 4 Rite and Maturity. The sacrament of Confirmation completes the initiation of a baptized Christian. To be confirmed, one must.
BY: GWEN, FRANKIE, RACHEL, LOVEDEEP Chapter 15: Confirmation.
A Faith Journey © Seomra Ranga 2013
Opening Prayer Lord, help us who are preparing for confirmation to live by the Holy spirit. May we use his power in our lives to be witnesses to you.
BY: GWEN, FRANKIE, RACHEL, LOVEDEEP Sacraments Project.
Confirmation Sacrament of the Holy Spirit. Confirmation One of the sacraments of initiation One of the sacraments of initiation Gives us a better understanding.
Baptism Chapter 14. Baptism Baptism is necessary for salvation. the water symbolizes that we die to sin and rise to new life in Christ. - we are purified.
Sacraments of Initiation Confirmation. The Holy Spirit Among Us Where there is death, the Holy Spirit brings life Where there is loss and confusion the.
Confirmation Grade 5. Sacrament of Confirmation Confirmation Confirmation Necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. Necessary for the completion.
MEETING JESUS IN THE SACRAMENTS CHAPTER 4 THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION.
CONFIRMATION. Confirmation WWhat are its symbols? What does the rite involve? WWhere does the sacrament come from? WWhat are the effects of the.
Rite of Confirmation Introductory Rites Liturgy of the Word Sacrament of Confirmation Presentation of the Candidates Homily Renewal of Baptismal Promises.
L.O. To link the symbols of Baptism to everyday life.
I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Chapter 8-Confirmation Celebrating Growth in the spirit.
The Sacrament of Baptism Introduction Video Introduction Video The Sacrament of Baptism Introduction Video Introduction Video.
WHY BE CONFIRMED? Grade 7 Religion. THE IMPORTANCE OF CONFIRMATION.
The Sacrament of Confirmation The Sacraments Document #: TX
Sacraments of Service and Communion (also Commitment)
SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION 12/2/ The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son of the Blessed Trinity Third Person The Holy Spirit is the:
UNIT THREE Sacraments of Initiation. I. All Sacraments.
The Parts of the Mass Preparation for the Liturgy Dip our fingers in a font containing Holy Water which is to first remind us of our baptism and secondly.
Sacrament of Confirmation. Understanding the Sacrament of Confirmation At Baptism, we are reborn as sons and daughters of God, at Confirmation we strengthened.
Confirmation Retreat. Prayer Let us pray to the Holy Spirit, that we may be filled with the Seven Gifts of the Spirit All: Come, Spirit of the Lord! Spirit.
Chapter 18 Lesson 3 The Rite. Rites are Ceremonies The baptismal liturgy is a rite. There are different rites for the Baptism of infants and the Baptism.
The Parts of the Mass Four Parts of the Mass The Introductory Rite The Liturgy of the Word The Liturgy of the Eucharist The Concluding Rite.
Baptism can be seen as a rite of passage for an individual, marking their spiritual development Baptism is a purity ritual that helps defines the.
Visions January 10, 2016 Baptism of the Lord. Cover What is the same in each picture? What is different? What was the same at your Baptism? 1/7 4 th.
INTRODUCTION TO THE SACRAMENTS. SEVEN SACRAMENTS Within the Catholic Church there are seven sacraments BAPTISM CONFIRMATION EUCHARIST PENANCE ANOINTING.
Sacraments of Initiation Baptism. Introduction to Baptism Basis of the entire Christian life. Become members of Christ and the Church Become sharers of.
The Church Celebrates the Sacraments Mr. Lowry. Vocabulary Words Sacrament- an effective sign given to us by Jesus through which we share in God’s life.
Jeopardy By: Jessica Jaramillo. Confirmation Holy SpiritBishopConfirmationTrue or FalseKey Terms
Baptism is the first Sacrament, one of three “Sacraments of Initiation.”
The Sacrament of Baptism Unit Three Religion 9A. What is a Sacrament? A visible sign of invisible grace.
Religion 08. What does solidarity mean? What is discernment? What is the story of Pentecost? What is the Trinity? Know all 7 gifts of the Holy.
Sacraments of Initiation Baptism. The sacraments of initiation are Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist. They are the foundations of the Christian.
Baptism. Introduction Baptism is the foundation of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit It enables us to receive all the other.
© 2017 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.