Presentation on theme: "A total of 55 SHIPS have been used"— Presentation transcript:
1 A total of 55 SHIPS have been used Cimarron II Class – April 1979Conecuh Class – Feb. 1953Neosho Class – Sept. 1954Henry J. Kaiser Class – Oct. 1985Supply Class Fast Combat Support Ship – Feb. 1994Cimarron Class Jumbo – April 1965Sacramento Class – May 1965Lewis and Clark T-AKE – June 2006Wichita Class – March 1968AO’s used as Transports are not shown here.
2 Dithmarschen, a combination oiler and supply vessel was built by F Dithmarschen, a combination oiler and supply vessel was built by F. Schichau, Danzig, in 1938, for the German Navy. Taken over by British authorities at Bremerhaven when World War II ended, Dithmarschen was allocated to the United States Navy 15 January 1946 by the Inter-Allied Reparations Commission. She was placed in service 2 May 1946 as Dithmarschen (IX-301), with Captain A. W. Maddox, USNR, in charge.The need for a one-stop oiler-replenishment type ship had been illustrated by the war in the Pacific, and Dithmarschen was used for experimental work in this field since she had been developed specifically for this type of duty. On 1 October her name was changed to Conecuh and she was redesignated AO-110, but lack of funds delayed her conversion and she was placed out of service 24 October.Her classification was changed to AOR-110 on 4 September 1952 and she was converted to a replenishment fleet tanker. Conecuh was commissioned 16 February 1953, Commander M. B. Freeman in command. Conecuh proved the feasibility of the combination oiler-replenishment ship, experience gained during her operations led to the development of the fast combat support ship (AOE) in the United States Navy.
4 Devices used for Underway Replenish are detailed on the “(UNREP) DETAILS” show ComServPac was convinced that the optimum performance from issuing ships could only be attained from ships designed from the keel up. So important were the principles of underway replenishment to the concept of “all oceans” naval operations that “ComServPac adopted the same care and attention in their design as then accepted as a matter of course in the case of combatant types.”Neosho class oilers were the first oilers in the U.S. Navy to be engineered specifically for underway replenishment. They were basically similar in design to the older Cimarron class except that they were larger and faster. They carried one third more cargo.Unlike Cimarron, which had been modified after construction to handle gasoline, the cargo tank arrangement were designed expressly to meet the particular needs of this liquid. Since it was desirable to put saltwater ballast in the tanks normally used to carry gasoline, a design was devised that placed the tanks on the center line amidships so the ballasting was not required of these compartments.CARGO TANKA cofferdam was constructed around the gasoline tanks to prevent contamination and the gasoline tanks were surrounded by black oil and diesel tanks to afford some protection to the highly volatile gasoline
5 In recognition of the need to handle non-liquid cargo, the cargo deck (01 deck) extended from the forecastle to the poop the full beam of the ship and was equipped with two midship transfer stations for moving dry cargo by Burtoning (yard and stay) or highline.CARGO DECKThe cargo deck, which had a clear fore-and-aft passage to facilitate movement of cargo, also provided support for the eight fueling rigs designed that dispense liquid fuels through a newly developed 7 inch light weight hose. Extra stowage space was provided below decks for additional provisions that could be issued to ships alongside on an emergency basis.MAIN DECK
6 Cimarron/Ashtabula Class tankers were built previous to the Neosho Class Fleet Oilers built between 1939 and 1946, numbered AO-22 thru AO-109 They were each 553 feet long with a beam of 75 feet and draft of 32 feet with twin screws Cargo capacity was 146,000 barrels. Eight of these were jumboized 644 feet, maintaining the beam of 75 feet but with draft increased to 34' 9".Their cargo capacity increased to about 180,000 barrels or 7,560,000 gallons same as the Neosho class. "On the Neosho's the JP-5 was on the centerline, tanks 3-7. The Jumboized had their JP-5 tanks grouped amidships and was a constant stress problem, needing ballasting (salt water).The 105's were easier to work and were more capable ships with their STREAM freight stations and electro hydraulic winches. They could also land helo's forward after the kingpost was removed.A 105 did 17 knots on a good day, a 143 could do 19 on routine. Normal was 15 and 18 respectively. A 143 in similar load conditions and the same weather, could do several knots better than a 105 and UNREP in much worse weather conditions. These 8 tankers were in service 23% longer than the 6 Neosho Class tankers.Words by Capt. Pat Moloney – ships master
7 The LONGEST NAVAL TANKER MADE The third Sacramento (AOE-1), the first of the Navy's fast combat support ships, was laid down on 30 June 1961 at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash.; launched on 14 September 1963; sponsored by Mrs. Edmund G. Brown; and commissioned on 14 March 1964, Capt. Mark M. Gantar in command.Sacramento's turbines are two of the four originally built for Kentucky (BB-66), which was never completed. Her cargo capacity is more than 175,000 barrels or nearly eight million gallons of Navy Standard fuel oil, JP-5 aviation fuel, and aviation gasoline. Pumping capacity, to port and starboard simultaneously, exceeds 1.5 million gallons per hour.She can also carry 1,600 tons of ammunition, including missiles; 250 tons of refrigerated provisions, an equal amount of dry provisions and stores, and a sizeable load of miscellaneous freight and mail. Helicopter facilities include a loading area aft with hangar space for three UH-46 helicopters.Seattle, Wash., was designated her home port. On 7 April 1964, Sacramento steamed out of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard to begin her maiden voyage, three days of builder's and familiarization trials. On Friday, 12 June, Sacramento and Mars (AFS-1) rendezvoused about 35 miles off Point Loma, Calif., to test their new systems of replenishing.In Vietnamese waters, A typical cycle consisted of two and one-half weeks on Yankee Station, a quick run back to Subic Bay for five or six days of in-port loading, then a return to station.
8 The second Wichita (AOR-1) was laid down on 16June 1966 at Quincy, Mass., by the General Dynamics Corp.; launched on 16 March 1968; sponsored by Mrs. Howard B. Yeager; and commissioned on 7 June 1969, Capt. Robert R. Deibler in command.A multipurpose replenishment ships that operates independently or as a unit of a fast underway replenishment task group. Cargo space and underway transfer equipment is provided for petroleum products, refrigerated and special weapons. She carries the most advanced fueling‑at‑sea equipment and has a rapid cargo discharge capability enhanced by a landing‑launching area for a replenishment helicopter.These tankers conducted underway replenishments on the "line" off the coast of Vietnam working out of Subic Bay in the Philippines. They conducted two or three replenishments a day during the final phase of American combat operations in Vietnam. They also served through out the Atlantic and Mediterranean.
9 USS Cimarron (AO-177) was laid down, 18 March 1978 at Avondale Shipyards, New Orleans, LA Launched, 28 April 1979; Commissioned, 10 January Original length was 591’ 6”.The ship's fully automated two-boiler steam propulsion plant propel them at sustained speed of 20 knots while carrying a load of 150,000 barrels of fuel and 625 tons of ordnance. Fuel delivery is controlled by the Ship's Automated Liquid Cargo Control System. Replenishment stations have a cargo boom for ship-to-shore transfer of supplies while the ship is in port. In addition, the ship has a flight deck aft for receiving and sending freight and passengers by helicopter.The ships were protected by two MK 15 Phalanx Weapon Systems. Extensive damage control equipment and systems ensure rapid response to control any type of emergency. The ships were jubilated with a 108 foot midbody section, added to the center of the ship. This midbody increased fuel capacity by 30,000 barrels and added an ordnance cargo capability of 625 tons. Ballast and cargo transfer systems are fully automated and designed to effect safe and efficient transfer of bulk petroleum cargo. Habitability has been improved over previous designs, and labor-saving devices have been incorporated to promote a reduced manning plan. From: Military Analysis Network
10 Henry J. Kaiser was laid down, 22 August 1984, at Avondale Shipyards, New Orleans, LA. Launched, 5 October 1985 Displacement 9,500 t.(lt) 42,382 t.(fl) Beam 97' 5" Draft 35' (max.) Speed 20 ktsPropulsion two med. speed Colt-Pielstick PC4-2/2 10V-570 diesel engines, twin shafts, 16,000 hp per shaft.Henry J. Kaiser (T-AO 187), the first of an 18-ship series of new oilers, was delivered in September Three of the Kaiser class were delivered in 1987 and one was delivered in When they joined the fleet, Kaiser-class ships permitted the retirement of oilers of the 1940s (Mispillion class) and 1950s (Neosho class). The ships were built for the Military Sealift Command (MSC).Three of the newest MSC underway replenishment oilers have double hulls. Fitted with integrated electrical auxiliary propulsion, the delivery of USNS Patuxent (T-ATF 201), USNS Rappahannock (T-ATF 204) and USNS Laramie (T-ATF 203) was delayed by the decision to fit double hulls to meet the requirements of the Oil Pollution Act of This modification increased construction time from 32 to 42 months and reduced cargo capacity by 17 percent, although this can be restored in an emergency. Hull separation is 1.83 m at the sides and 1.98 m on the bottom. From: Military Analysis Network
11 The fast combat support ship Supply Class (AOE) is the Navy's largest combat logistics ship. The AOE has the speed and armament to keep up with the carrier battle groups. It can carry more than 177,000 barrels of oil, 2,150 tons of ammunition, 500 tons of dry stores and 250 tons of refrigerated stores.The AOE 6 contract design was completed in February of 1986, and steel fabrication work for SUPPLY began on 23 June 1988 with the official keel-laying conducted on 24 February NASSCO built SUPPLY utilizing an efficient modular construction technique.Separate sections of the ship were built, with piping sections, ventilation ducting and shipboard hardware, as well as major machinery items, such as main propulsion equipment, generators, and electrical panels, installed. These pre-outfitted sections were then brought together to form a complete hull.As a result of this construction technique, SUPPLY was nearly 50 percent complete when launched on 6 October The next four years were spent completing the electrical wiring, plumbing and ventilation systems, equipment and hardware installation. SUPPLY was commissioned 26 February 1994 at Naval Air Station, North Island in San Diego, California. From: Military Analysis Network
12 Lewis and Clark (T-AKE-1) has a length of: 689 ft (210 m); Beam: 105 Lewis and Clark (T-AKE-1) has a length of: 689 ft (210 m); Beam: ft (32.2 m); Draft: 29.9 ft (9.1 m) Propulsion: Integrated propulsion and ship service electrical system, with generation at 6.6 kV by FM/MAN B&W diesel generators; one fixed pitch propeller; bow thruster. Speed: 20 knots (37 km/h); Range: 14,000 nautical miles (26,000 km)The T-AKE is a new Combat Logistics Force (CLF) Underway Replenishment Naval vessel that will replace the current capability of the Kilauea-class ammunition ship, Mars-class and Sirius-class combat stores ships, and when operating in concert with a Henry J. Kaiser-class oiler, the T-AKE will replace the Sacramento-class fast combat support ship. From Wikipedia
13 USNS Lewis and Clark (T-AKE-1), the lead ship of her class of dry cargo ship, was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. The contract to build her was awarded to National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO) of San Diego, California, on 18 October 2001 and her keel was laid down on 22 April She was launched 21 May 2005, co-sponsored by Jane Lewis Sale Henley and Lisa Clark, descendants of the ship's namesakes. She was delivered to the Navy on 20 June 2006.As an auxiliary support ship, the T-AKE will directly contribute to the ability of the Navy to maintain a forward presence. The T-AKE's primary mission will be delivering supplies to Navy ships from sources of supply like friendly ports, or from sea using specially equipped merchant ships. The T-AKE will transfer cargo, ammunition, food, limited quantities of fuel, repair parts, ship store items and expendable supplies; at sea to station ships and other naval warfare forces.In its secondary mission, the T-AKE may be required to operate in concert with a Henry J. Kaiser-class (T-AO 187) oiler as a substitute on-station ship, providing direct logistic support to ships within a single carrier strike group.The primary goal of the T-AKE program is to provide effective fleet underway replenishment capability at the lowest life cycle cost. To meet that goal, the ship is being built to commercial specifications and standards and will be certified/classed by the American Bureau of Shipping, the United States Coast Guard and other regulatory bodies. The ships will be operated by Military Sealift Command with civilian mariners crews (123 personnel) augmented by a military department (49 personnel). From Wikipedia