SVISHTOV SEEN FROM THE SKY Svishtov Danube River Sofia The town of Svishtov (30 591 inhabitants) is situated at a high terrace on the right bank of the Danube River, in the place where the river reaches its most southern point. It is situated at the distance of 250 km north-east from Sofia. The town is a successor of the Roman town of Novae (1st century) - an important strategic centre with navigable functions. The town reached an enviable development during the 19th century in spite of its complete destruction in 1810 during the Russian-Turkish War. In 1865 Dr. Ivan Bogorov described Svishtov as “the most commercial place” of our towns.
SIGHTS In Svishtov there are more than 120 archaeological, art and architectural monuments of culture of local and national significance. The Town’s Museum of History is considered to be one of the museums in Bulgaria (1856).
SIGHTS The Ethnographic Museum Aleko Konstantinov Bulgarian writer The House of Aleko Konstantinov - Museum, in which the heart of the great Bulgarian writer is conserved in a glass container.
SIGHTS Holy Trinity Church The Holy Trinity Church (1867) is the most interesting architectural monument. It was the work of the great Bulgarian builder of the Renaissance period “ousta” Kolyu Ficheto. The temple was almost torn down by the earthquake in 1977 but in 1992 its restoration was completed.
SIGHTS The Town hall The central square The cultural club The clock tower The fountain of the central square The cultural club
TOWN OF SVISHTOV Svishtov is one of the leading industrial and agricultural centres of the Bulgarian danube region. Svishtov municipality is developing a mixed type of economy. The main subjects of activity of the companies are: chemical industry food industry wine production transport. Tsenov Academy of Economics The monument of Aleko Konstantinov
History Educational process Extracurricular activities DIMITUR HADJIVASILEV State High School of Economics – Svishtov
Dimitur Hadjivasilev The history of the school dates back to the year 1883, when the patriot Dimitur Hadjivasilev donated 240 000 golden coins for the building of the first school in the country “…where political economy will be studied”.
The building is a reduced copy of the University in Vienna and it strikes with its impressive architecture.
The teachers’ staff consists of highly qualified teachers – specialists in different scientific fields The school is equipped with an audio-visual center used for foreign- language education and modern computer labs which provide all-day Internet access.
At the High School of Economics there are students in 24 different classes split into several economic specialties. Half of them study a foreign language intensively. They receive basic knowledge in the fields of banking, ICT, finance, accounting, tourism etc. Educational process
The school has long traditions in the sphere of tourism EXCURSIONS
Sport The school’s sports teams have always led the town charts.