Presentation on theme: "Reconstruction Notes WAS RECONSTRUCTION A SUCCESS OR A FAILURE? WHY?"— Presentation transcript:
Reconstruction Notes WAS RECONSTRUCTION A SUCCESS OR A FAILURE? WHY?
- Because they had just fought a civil war that the Union (or American)side had won.
- Because The Constitution provided no guidance regarding Civil War or Reconstruction.
- Confederates would have to take a loyalty oath. -Confederate soldiers and government officials could not be pardoned. -After 10% of the population had taken the oath, states could write a new state constitution. -After new state constitutions had been written states were allowed back into the Union. -Confederate states would also have to void secession, abolish slavery, and ratify the 13 th Amendment.
- The South would be under military rule. -Southern states had to create new state constitutions. -Required all states to give all males the right to vote including male ex-slaves. -Southern who had supported the Confederacy could not vote. -Southern states had to guarantee equal rights to everyone. -Required Southern states to ratify the 14 th and 15 th Amendments.
- 13 th Amendment-Abolished slavery -14 th Amendment-Equal protection under the law, defined citizenship, and guaranteed states will protect constitutional rights. -15 th Amendment – Gives all males the right to vote -Freedman’s Bureau-helped take care of refugees and newly freed peoples -Civil Rights Act of 1875 – Protected African American rights in public
- The Union was rebuilt. -Economic growth developed in the South. -13 th, 14 th, and 15 th Amendments were ratified. -The Freedmen’s Bureau helped ex-slaves find housing, jobs, and schooling. -An establishment of a state funded and mandated education system in the South. -African Americans become tenant farmers and remained in poverty. -African Americans were denied their civil rights through black codes and segregation. -Many Southerners became bitter towards the North. -Did not regulate railroads, improve working conditions, or advocate for women’s suffrage.
Conclusion: (Please include a 1-2 sentence answer for each of the questions listed on the left side of your Cornell notes. Please include the number for each section in your answer.)