Presentation on theme: "The Jarman Centre A short history. The Jarman Centre is a very special place, which is enjoyed by guiding and scouting members, schools, youth and community."— Presentation transcript:
The Jarman Centre is a very special place, which is enjoyed by guiding and scouting members, schools, youth and community groups, and as a training venue for local companies.
Why is it called the Jarman Centre? Girlguiding Cambridgeshire East bought the site using proceeds from the sale of Haddenham Halt, a converted railway station that had served as a Brownie pack holiday house and Guide centre for 13 years. The County’s building fund was augmented by generous gifts from Cambridge City Division and Cambridge City Trefoil Guild from their bequests from Miss Marjory Jarman, so loved as ‘Jammie’.
MARJORY ALICE JARMAN 13 August 1900 - 1 January 1981 was enrolled as a Guide into the 12th Cambridge Guide Company in 1916; was County Camp Adviser from 1942 until 1953; was a member of the Guide International Service (GIS) in World War II, in the Egyptian desert, in a Cairo hospital, and in the Displaced Persons Centre in Piraeus; was awarded the WVS Long Service Medal in 1961 for 22 years of service, 40 duties a year; started the 14th Cambridge Ranger Company in 1919 and was its leader until 1957; and founded the Cambridge Trefoil Guild in 1943. Her life was one of service to the wider community as well as to guiding.
Jammie loved camping: this is from one of her log books
14 th Cambridge Ranger Colour This flag was designed and embroidered by Marjory Jarman for the 14 th Cambridge Ranger Company of which she was a founder member in 1919. She was later lieutenant and then captain from 1926-1957. The flag was dedicated at Holy Trinity Church Cambridge on 16 October 1921. It now hangs in the Trefoil Room at the Jarman Centre.
The original plot of 5.75 acres was bought in February 1986 and a dedicated team set about raising funds to build a new residential centre to replace Haddenham Halt. Site for the house
Joyce Sale marks out the first campsite Volunteers helped clear the land for the house and camp sites
By November 1986 Ian Steen had come up with a design for the building Heather Dixon made this model to explain what was being built and to help raise funds
Getting ready for business: brochure, badge and official address
Early pictures in the house: Can you spot what has changed over the years?
The Official Opening in October 1988: Chief Commissioner Dr June Patterson-Brown cuts the ribbon
The Official Opening Dr June Patterson-Brown plants a tree. It is near the SPICE Garden – can you find it?
The Official Opening The Chief Commissioner and Mary Sanders talk with campers
The Official Opening Daphne Bowyer, May Walker, Thelma Jopling, Molly Bourne, and Tim Sayer
The first tree-planting day: do you recognise anyone?
Although we have a lot of trees we still need to replant
Room Names Left to right: Elise de Beaumont (first County Secretary, first County Camp Adviser) The Hon Mrs de Beaumont (County Commissioner 1916-1945) Marguerite de Beaumont (Trainer, ran the first county camp) Miss M A Gaskell started guiding in the County
Left to right below: Mrs Dorothy Orlebar (County Camp Adviser) Miss Margaret Martin (Division Commissioner North Cambs) Mrs Jane Deas (1 st Cambridge Guide, responsible for Haddenham Halt) Above right: Lady Cambridge (County President 1953-1975) More Room Names
Donations in memory of Sylvia MacAndrew, provided the play equipment which is still enjoyed today
The Centre is not just used by guiding and scouting: For over 10 years Janet ‘Aggie’ Baker and her Rangers led ‘Kids’ Camp’ at the Jarman Centre, with catering supported by the Divisions
The original plot was 5.75 acres – the square area at the left of this plan. In 1993 an opportunity arose to buy a further 13 acres to the east, which includes the archery field, the Lime Tree Avenue and two further campsites cleared in recent years.
The County celebrated our 10 th birthday in 1998 with Division parties held over two days. Sue Dyer (County Commissioner at the time) cuts one of the cakes watched by (from left) Pam Fisher, Anne Duncumb, Joan Bryan and Joyce Lewis, all members of the original management committee.
The County organises events at the Jarman Centre, such as Crotchets and Quavers (1998) and The World is Here (2006), a ‘cardboard box sleepover’
In 2006 an area beyond Beeches campsite was cleared and in 2007 Archery was introduced. This has become a very popular activity, and we have our own team of trained instructors.
In 2009, following widespread consultation, the house underwent a refurbishment project to include: A mechanical heating and ventilation system powered by an air-source heat pump Solar pre-heated water Conversion and sound- proofing of the Loft to provide self-catered accommodation for smaller groups...
Plus: An all-access wetroom with shower and a new Laundry A reconfigured ground floor to provide two en-suite bedrooms for leaders, and new doors in the shower rooms Painted dormitories, new mattresses and other enhancements
Two Young Leaders with SPICE Guides came up with the idea of a sensory garden and found funding for the £50,000 needed to provide it. SPICE Garden opened in 2009 and was completed in 2012 with a stable for Ned, our wooden horse.
We celebrated our 21 st Birthday and completion of the refurbishment on 29 October 2009 with an activity day for Rainbows, Brownies and Guides and a tea party for invited guests.
In 2010 we celebrated Girlguiding UK’s Centenary by hosting two days of outdoor activities during the County’s ‘Look 2010’ camp
Since 2010 we have been concentrating on the estate, which is covered by a Woodland Protection Order; active tree management is now taking place. Our volunteer Lumberjacks are clearing brambles and scrub to create opportunities for further activities and are also carrying out all sorts of maintenance jobs.
Other recent projects include: Sycamores and Firs – two new sites for lightweight camps opened in 2012 Permanent benching at the main campfire circle Two new barbecuesArea cleared for Slack Lines
The Friends of the Jarman Centre, our supporters’ group that started in April 1988 as the Jarman Centre Circle, still meet regularly to do the jobs that always need doing in a house like this. They also enjoy a winter lunch and a summer supper, usually with an interesting talk. You can download this form from our website www.jarmancentre.org.uk
Our souvenir shop has a selection of Jarman Centre badges, postcards and guiding souvenirs. We are always raising funds for improvements to the facilities. For details of how to donate please visit the fundraising section at www.jarmancentre.org.uk
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.