* The thrill… * The legends… * The cemeteries… * Being entertained * How can we help? * What are ghosts? * Are they real? * Wanting to understand
* What are the latest tools? * Is the name Southern Hampshire Investigation Team available? * Where can we get matching black shirts? * Can we pool enough money for a ghost hunt? * The thrill…. * Let’s pretend we’re famous…
* Parapsychology model of client based investigations * How client interacts with the environment (over the shoulder). Has gone to laboratory setting to find basis for ESP/PK. * Ghost hunting/Paranormal Investigation * Focus in purely on ghost and how investigators interact with the environment. Reliance on tools/technology and subjective experience.
* Parapsychology – Too limited with mere view of the living client and their connection to the environment. What about the environment itself? * Ghost hunting/paranormal investigation – Too limited as the focus is merely on ghosts. The thought is that ghosts are tangible beings and that they leave physical evidence behind. What about the connection by the living client? What about ESP/PK? * How do we find a happy medium?
* The Ghost Excavation: * Structure (preplanned scenarios). * Historical and cultural attempts to create triggers to spontaneous events (not present ourselves as 21 st Century paranormal investigators/provide engaging atmosphere). * Ability to focus on residual and interactive hauntings/apparitions at the same time. * Scientific approach by documentation without participation (observers record and do not interact) and specifically designed studies. * A continuation beyond reaction to events so that they can be properly documented.
* Pros * Interview * Flowing process/no limits to direction * Cons * Client has control due to flexibility/need direction. * Standard model is expected by culture. * Still subjective * Psychic methods help current client, but not future ones. * A major change is needed!
o Ghost hunting and paranormal investigation used to be separate approaches. o Ghost hunting invalidated paranormal investigation. o Clients have created expectations for investigations due to the culture of ghost investigation approaches on television that began to appear in 2004. o New methods are needed to guide clients through these expectations while creating a true scientific approach.
* Take what works. * Eliminate what doesn’t. * Incorporate new methods. * Break the mold. * Alter the culture.
* Pre-interview * Expectations * Interview * Separate witnesses * Search for meaning behind events * Search for emotions behind events * Focus on most important events * Use Cognitive interview process * 1. Reconstruct the circumstances. * 2. Report everything. * 3. Recall the events in a different order. * 4. Change perspective.
* Logical explanations. Not “debunk”. * Environmental * Shadows * Sounds * EMF * Eliminate from initial list. * Corporeal/Living * Medicine? * Past history? * Psychological/Emotional? * Must be considered as evidence.
* What are we dealing with (potentially)? Can we create repeatable conditions? How do we define the trigger? * Apparition * Intelligence/communication * Haunting * Repetitive/imprint * No direct intelligence/communication * Poltergeist * Stress related * Back to physical investigation
* Design study * Based on notes of interview minus findings of physical investigation * Physical/emotional reenactments with clients (rewind the clock – AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE). * Historical scenarios/ Ghost Excavations based on “P.O.P” if necessary. This furthers research to past history in a vertical examination of history. * Both methods create “time sandwich” to induce spontaneous event, done repeatedly could create a predictable event. * Use scientific methods (E4 Method and various controls) but be aware of the “Unknown Variable” (use belief training, expect spontaneity). * Use E4 Method. * What is the E4 Method? * Will be embraced by all?
* Reenactment is general information and is mere “acting” done for entertainment or personal enjoyment. * Active Context Exercise/Excavations are specific information geared towards active dynamic involvement and documentation creating a bond (not just information gathering).
6 6666666666666666666 666666666666666666 * Local Active Context Exercise * Recent historical event, specific to individual and event. * Ongoing process, not just one “scene” repeated, dynamic in energy and direction based on information gathered from client. * Context meaning creating a specific environment (physical/emotional) * Exercise meaning it is repeated; find specific “mix” for trigger, and it is ongoing to help client (understand, cope, empower, etc.).
* Historical Active Context Exercise * Based on historical events, people, places, things, etc. * Must be specific information geared toward individual in scene in order to take information sincerely. * Ongoing process, not just one “scene” repeated, dynamic in energy and direction based on information gathered from specific research (cultural aspects, specific people, places, etc.). * Context meaning creating a specific environment (physical/emotional) Exercise meaning it is repeated in order to find specific “mix” for trigger, and it is ongoing to help client (understand, cope, empower, etc.
Eliminate * Subjective paranormal investigation cannot be used (unscientific, no controls, completely subjective, reliance on unproven tools, etc.) Establish * Scientific controls. Focus on specific events during specific research. Create controls for these specific events. Enlist * Study those who have been involved. This will give you the chance to become objective, allow client to continue to look for logical explanations and to ease fear. Engage * Environment, not ghosts. Ghosts are not physical or they would have been discovered long ago (and exploited). Not meant to “provoke”, but to simulate favorable conditions for spontaneous event. This will potentially lead to repeatable spontaneous interactions for anyone else to study.
Client using controlled conditions Vs. subjective experiences Environment, not ghosts! Scientific controls (create formal study) Subjective approach EliminateEstablish EnlistEngage
Additional details * Cameras and digital recorders will still be used, but with better methods. * EMF detectors used to find logical explanations, not ghosts! * These methods can also be used to eliminate communication between apparition and client as well as erase/alter haunting experience. * Not every case will be able to be handled the same way, the E4 Method is merely a gateway to new methods.