Presentation on theme: "General Overview on Rechargeable Battery Activities"— Presentation transcript:
1General Overview on Rechargeable Battery Activities 5th World Rechargeable Battery Regulatory Forum in 2013General Overview on RechargeableBattery ActivitiesUpdate of the activities in KoreaMay 21th, 2013WRBRF PPT 1.b.3.
21. Introduction of KBIA Foundation Established on Nov under the MOTIE (Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy)※ Having operated as Battery R&D Association of Korea since 1997Main MissionTo support the government to make plans and policies for battery industryTo spread government policies to battery companiesTo establish the infrastructure needed for the growth of national battery businessLet me explain about KBIA or Korea Battery Industry Association.KBIA was established on November 1st, 2011 under the MOTIE (Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy).The KORBA have been operated since 1997Main missions of KBIA are as follows.First, to support the government to make plans and policies for battery industry.Second, to spread government policies to battery companies.Third, to establish the infrastructure needed for the growth of national battery business.Fourth, to induce foreign investment on battery industry and promote international cooperationAnd lastly, to research and analyze information of batteryTo induce foreign investment on battery industry and promote international cooperationTo research and analyze information of battery
31. Introduction of KBIA Members of KBIA Battery System Materials Battery manufacturers (12)SDI, LG Chem, SK Innovation, Kokam, Sebang etc.Parts & materials companies (31]GS Energy, POSCO Energy, Ecopro, Panaxetec etc.Equipment/ system companies (11)Hyundai MOBIS, PNE Solution, WooJin, Hanwha etc.Others (3]KETI, KIER, KERIBatterySystemMaterialsAs you can see in the picture at the bottom of this slide,members include 12 battery manufacturers, 31 parts & materials companies,11 equipment & system companies and 3 government-funded research centerswhich are special members.-3-
42. Current Status of Battery Industry in Korea Global LIB Market ShareLIB Market ShareMaterial Market ShareKorea’s LIB market share was 43% in 2012Korea’s material market share was 24%.KR, JP & CN accounted for 94% of the global market.KR, JP & CN accounted for 92% of the global market.Japan(41%)Korea(24%)China(27%)ETC(8%)Japan(30%)Korea(43%)China(21%)ETC(6%)The global LIB market share can be broken down into LIB and materials.Korea’s LIB market share was 43% in 2012.Three Asian countries of Korea, Japan and China accounted for 94% of the total global market.Korea’s market share of LIB materials was 24% in 2012.Three Asian countries of Korea, Japan and China accounted for 92% of the total global market.Therefore, industrial cooperation among these 3 East Asian nations is critical.Source : B3 Report(`12.12)Source : Yano (`12.12)-4-
52. Current Status of Battery Industry in Korea Market Share by CompanyLocalization of MaterialsKorea & Japan have been leading the global LIB market.Most of cathode and electrolytes are localized.29.0%‘10‘11‘12‘09KOREACHINAJAPAN15%12%15%21%20.0%Separator19.5%54%66%70%80%Electrolyte8.3%41%46%62%69%7.4%In terms of the LIB global market share by company.As you can see in the chart at the bottom of slide, Korean, Japanese have been leading the global LIB marketIn Korea, the Most of cathode and electrolytes are localizedKorea therefore needs to promote international cooperation for materials.5.4%Cathode3.1%2.8%2.6%2.0%0%0%0%1%SDIATLSonyLishenBYDBAKMaxwellOthersPanasonicLG CHEMAnodeSource : B3 Report(`12.12)-5-
6(Source : KITA & Industry Data) 2. Current Status of Battery Industry in KoreaProduction (‘12)$8.7 Billions, 24.6 % of average annual growth rate for the last 2 yearsExport (‘12)$5.8 Billions, Mainly exported to China and USMain items – Rechargeable lithium batteries for IT and machine toolImport (‘12)$598 MillionsMain items - small lithium rechargeable batteries and materialsProductionExport: $ 8.7 B(’12): $ 5.8 B(’12)Import: $ 597 M(’12)(Million)Next, let me explain about Korea’s current status of the rechargeable battery industry.Korea’s production volume of rechargeable batteries amounts to 8.7 billion US$ in 2012.And the average annual growth rate is 24% from 2010.The export amount to 5.8 billion US$ in And Mainly exported to China and U.SThe main export items are lithium rechargeable batteries for IT and machine tools.The import amount to 597 million US$ in 2012, And the main import items are small-sized rechargeable lithium batteries and materials.(Source : KITA & Industry Data)-6-
72. Current Status of Battery Industry in Korea Development environment of Korea’s battery industryDeveloped IT industry has lead to the development of the battery industry - Smart phones, Tablet PCs, Laptops, Digital cameras, Camcorders etc.Commercialization need for EV and ESS to solve the lack of energy problem - Hyundai & Kia Motors, Renault Samsung, Pmgrows, KEPCO, KPX … etc.Smart-grid industry for new-renewable energy - Demonstration project in the Jeju Island & South Sea areas, expansion of ESS supplyNow, I’d like to tell you about a couple of strengths that can boost further development of Korea’s battery industry.First of all, Developed IT industry has lead to the development of the battery industryWith the demand for smart phones, tablet PCs, laptops and digital cameras increasing continuouslySecond, Commercialization need for EV and ESS to solve the lack of energy problem.Hyundai Motors, Renault-Samsung and KEPCO are directly engaged in this initiative.Third, The smart-grid industry for new-renewable energyFor example, Demonstration project in the Jeju Island & South Sea areas, expansion of ESS supplyFourth, Rechargeable battery business as a new growth engine for leading companiesSuch as Samsung, LG, SK, GS, POSCORechargeable battery business as a new growth engine for leading companies - Samsung, LG, SK, GS, POSCO … etc.-7-