Presentation on theme: "ISAAR (CPF) and a possible mapping to CIDOC CRM Based on and “State of."— Presentation transcript:
ISAAR (CPF) and a possible mapping to CIDOC CRM Based on and “State of the art report on EAC-CPF and recommendations for implementation in Archives Portal Europ e, 2013” CIDOC-CRM SIG meeting, Den Haag Christian-Emil Ore, University of Oslo, Norway
Example from socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu 1
Example from socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu 2
Example from socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu 3
One xml-record for each person/corp. body /family...
CONTROL -element DLC.ms r074 …. VIAFId: new...
cpfDescription -element... …
- Identity. Complex structure containing the name or names used by the entity over the course of the entity’s existence. Contains a repeatable element for different names, and a repeatable element for more than one expressed in different languages. Required. - Description. Contains formal description elements parallel to those in ISAAR (CPF) for the description of the entity. An additional allows for local implementation of additional descriptive information not included in the other elements. Optional. cpfDescription -element
- Relations. Contains one or more references to or descriptions of related corporate bodies, persons or families, functions, or resources. Optional. - Alternative set. Contains two or more authority records for the same entity derived from two or more authority systems, expressed within a single EAC-CPF instance. The consists of two or more elements for the authority records. cpfDescription -element
- Identity Brief description: A wrapper element for the name or names related to the identity being described within the element in the EAC- CPF instance. Can contain following sub elements: Can contain following identity -element
identity element – example person Oppenheimer, J. Robert, DLC... Oppenheimer, J. Robert (Julius Robert), VIAF... Ou-pẽn-hai-mo, VIAF
description element – example...
- Biographical or historical note Brief description: A concise essay and/or chronology that provides biographical or historical information about the CPF entity. Can contain following sub elements: Can contain following biogHist element
Chronological item Brief description: A container element that keeps a date or a date range paired with an associated event and an optional place within a Chronology List. Can contain following sub elements: Can contain chronItem element
biogHist element - example 1904, Apr. 22 New York, N.Y. Born, New York, N.Y. … 1927 Göttingen, Germany Ph. D., University of Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany , Feb. 18 Princeton, N.J. Died, Princeton, N.J. From the finding aid for J. Robert Oppenheimer Papers (bulk ) ( Manuscript Division Library of Congress)
– Relations Brief description: A wrapper element that groups together one or more relation elements, each of which encodes a specific relationship. Can contain following sub elements: Can contain following attributes: / relation element
relation element – example …... ... ….... …
Brief description: The element contains the description of a corporate body, person, or family related to the described CPF entity. Such related entities are typically described in another EAC-CPF instance. Can contain following sub elements: Can contain – CPF relation
– Relation entry Brief description: A descriptive element of the relation. A descriptive element for relations that provides discursive text identifying a related CPF entity, a resource created by or otherwise related to the named CPF entity (eg, archival records), or the name of a related function. Can contain following sub elements: NO Can contain following @xml:lang – CPF relation
cpfRelation element – example … Alsop, Stewart. recordId: DLC.ms c2 Bethe, Hans A. (Hans Albrecht), recordId: DLC.ms r001 … Finding Aid PermalinkCite
Example from socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu 4
J. Robert Oppenheimer Papers, (bulk )... resourceRelation -element
did = content of the finding aid Collection Summary... MSS35188 Oppenheimer, J. Robert, ,000 items 294 containers plus 2 classified linear feet... did -element (EAD-element)
1918 Born August 25, Lawrence, Massachusetts, first child of Samuel and Jennie Bernstein. … Joint principal conductor, New York Philharmonic, ; premiere of West Side Story; conducted inaugural concert of Mann Auditorium, Tel Aviv. …. BioHist and relations (Bernstein)
… Stefan Lorant collection ca … …. West Side story. …. Symphonic dances from "West side story" … BioHist and relations (Bernstein)
Problem (Bernstein) No identification between bioHist and relations – 1957 Joint principal conductor, New York Philharmonic, ; premiere of West Side Story; conducted inaugural concert of Mann Auditorium, Tel Aviv. – West Side story.
Mapping to CRM 1 Identity part is a set of alternative appellations can be mapped to a temporal entity (events) Relations: the mapping will depend on the type and the sub types, e.g. attr: xlink:arcrole
Mapping to CRM 2 Relations: the mapping will depend on the type and the sub types, e.g. – attr: xlink:arcrole, no controlled vocabulary – attr: cpfRelationType – value list suggested not used in socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu – associatedWith, correspondedWith, … – controls, owns, performs, … – referencedIn, creatorOf, …
Mapping to CRM 3 General problem – Events in EAC-CPF cannot contain relations – No linking between instances of relations and events Minimal suggestion – Adjust the XML-schema for EAC-CPF add relations to – Introduce at least record internal identifiers in addition to the current use of free text descriptions