Personnel Hazards continued Signs Training Time delay Manual activation Manual override Scented gas
5. Types of Systems Total flooding Local application Hand hose lines Standpipe systems and mobile supply
6. Local Application Rate-by-volume local application Rate-by-area local application
Rate-by-volume local application Imaginary volume object flush on solid floor add 2 feet to each open surface V img = (L + 4 ft) x ( W + 4 ft) x (H + 2 ft) R = Vimg x ( 1lb/min/ft 3 ) W = R x D
Rate-by-area local application Pages 127-131 2D horizontal fires flammable liquids diptanks, drainboards min. discharge 30 sec. If storage is high pressure, add 40%
Nozzles Square coverage typically 20-30 ft 2 specifications from manufacturer
1. determine max. width 2. Extend line horizontally to intersect nozzle graph different scales for drainboard and diptank 3. Drop vertical line from point of intersection 4. Extend horizontal line from point of intersection 5. Read flow rate F liquid (lb/min) Steps
6. Number of nozzles for diptank N liquid 7. FR liquid = N liquid x F liquid 8. Number of nozzles for drainboard N coated 9. FR coated = N coated x F coated 10. FR total = Fr liquid + Fr coated 11. W (lb) = FR (lb/min) x D (min) 12. If storage is HP, increase FR by 1.4
7. Total Flood Multi-step procedure –Evaluate room –Evaluate fire –calculation
Evaluate enclosure integrity Acoustical ceiling tiles door closers Windows Other openings Floor openings Wall joints
Evaluate Enclosure Integrity continued Wall rigidity HVAC –Supply shut-off –Exhaust dampers Fan test
Evaluate Personnel Hazards Record activity Time to exit Worse case time to exit Door recognition test Warning sign effectiveness Review personnel hazards Don’t increase hazard
Evaluate fire scenario Control ignition sources –See list pages 133-4 Surface or deep-seated fire?
Measure room volume L x W x H Can reduce for solid objects Add plenum space
Determine type of combustible Material Surface or deep-seated fire
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.