Full MarkMean Score (%) Part A4755.4 Part B14540.9 Part B24660.6 PAPER 1 (1.5 HOURS – 20%)
Reading Skills To locate specific information quickly, you should scan the reading passage. Learn to recognize paragraphing in order to find information in a reading passage that has the same meaning as the information you need, but is expressed in different words.
1. True / False / Not given questions StatementTrueFalseNG Only children stitched the quilt. Rachel and Jacob are related. Jacob and Patrick are classmates. Each participant could express their personality through the pledge patches. e.g. DSE-B1 Text 2 Q34
2. Ticking options e.g. DSE-B1 Text 2 Q24 When the Chubins first opened Crafeteria, they wanted a store where people could ____________. Put a tick ( ) next to each statement that applies. - sew a huge quilt - learn how to quilt and embroider - buy yarn, sewing machines, and all kinds of fabrics - meet other customers - repair their sewing machines
6. Short response questions on 6. reference words e.g. DSE-PP-B1 Text 2 Q32 What does ‘it’ (line 31) refer to? walking cane
7. Cloze summary completion e.g. DSE-PP-B1 Text 4 Q48 Complete the following sentence. Tip 4 recommends using paper packaging instead of styrofoam because it uses less space when thrown in the rubbish // it reduces the volume of rubbish (being) produce…………………………………………….. paper packaging styrofoamit uses less space when thrown in the rubbish // it reduces the volume of rubbish (being) produced.
7. Cloze summary completion e.g. DSE-B1 Text 2 Q40 Complete the summary of the text by writing ONE word to fill in each blank. You should make sure your answers are grammatically correct, paying attention to tenses, plurals, etc.
7. Cloze summary completion e.g. DSE-B1 Text 2 Q40 The Climate Quilt Campaign is an international initiative involving young people. In Pennsylvania, the owners of Crafeteria invited members of their community to take part in this campaign. Children were given a scrap of recycled fabric // clothing which they used to make pledge patches. international Crafeteria fabric // clothing pledge patches
7. Cloze summary completion e.g. DSE-B1 Text 3 Q40 Children taking part were of all ages, so the sophistication of the pledges and the squares varied. ‘I pledge to save water // food // leftovers ’ was one example of a pledge. ages water // food // leftovers
9. Matching titles to texts e.g. DSE-B1 Text 2 Q39 Which of the following is the best alternative title for this text? A.Campaign Needs Volunteers B.Climate Change around the World C.Climate Quilt in Action D.Recycling Old Clothes
10. Matching subheadings to 10. paragraphs e.g. DSE-B1 Text 2 Q37 Which subheading below fits each section in Text 2? Write the letter (A, B, C, D, E) of each section next to the correct subheading. One has been done as an example. One subheading is NOT used and should be left blank.
10. Matching subheadings to 10. paragraphs e.g. DSE-B1 Text 2 Q37 Which subheading below fits each section in Text 2? SubheadingsSections A love of quilting_______ Locals get involved_______ Volunteers share their experience_______ The campaign continues_______ A campaign for all children_______ CraferteriaiiiiiiBiiiiii C D E A
11. Filling in the blanks e.g. DSE-PP-B1 Text 3 Q44 This text was written for people working in the i restaurant // food // catering business. e.g. DSE-Part B1 Text 2 Q26 Quilting is a form of recycling because you can make something new out of old fabrics that are sewn together. restaurant // food // catering old fabricssewn together
12. Guessing the meaning of difficult 12. words e.g. DSE-PP-Part A Q14 In line 73, what does ‘thrashed about’ mean? A.to play with B.to fight with C.to swim very quickly D.to move about violently
13. Pronoun reference e.g. DSE-PP-Part A Q2 According to line 9, who are ‘these people’? visitors to zoos / aquariums 5 million people who visit Ocean Park e.g. DSE-PP-Part A Q10 What does ‘their’ in line 48 refer to? guests / guests’
14. Attitude e.g. DSE-Part B1 Text 2 Q28 How did Kemmerer feel when she said, ‘We couldn’t have finished the job without the help of the local community’ (lines 55-56)? A.critical B.grateful C.confident D.frustrated
15. Main idea questions e.g. DSE-PP-Part A Q1 What is the main idea of paragraph 1? Zoos, aquariums and marine parks … A.are funded by governments. B.are well supported by the general public. C.are attracting increasing numbers of visitors each year. D.are centres of education, conservation and entertainment.
16. Vocabulary questions: synonyms 16. and antonyms e.g. DSE-PP-Part A Q15 Find TWO phrases in paragraph 7 that mean the same as ‘being kept as prisoner’. a)(being) held captive b)in (close) confinement
17. Sequencing questions e.g. DSE-B1 Q38 The flowchart below shows the sequence of events in order to make a pledge patch for the Climate Quilt Campaign. Complete the statement by writing the correct letter inside the box. Use each letter once only.
17. Sequencing questions e.g. DSE-B1 Q38 STATEMENTS A.…patch in a creative way. B.…patch to the campaign offices. C.…patch with your pledge to help the environment. D.…fabric from old clothes, bed sheets, or table cloths E.…patch to the Campaign’s website. F.…patch approximately 16 cm X 16 cm and make iiisure the sides are straight.
17. Sequencing questions e.g. DSE-B1 Q38 How to make a pledge patch Step 1FIND SOME …_______ Step 2CUT A …_______ Step 3PERSONALISE YOUR …_______ Step 4DECORATE YOUR …_______ Step 5SEND YOUR …_______ C A B D F
18. Identifying speakers and 18. distinguishing opinions e.g. DSE-PP-Part A Q23 The text presents two opposing views of educating children about animals. Discuss which view you find most convincing and why. The first writer (Suzanne Gendren) because the courses and the interaction with animals are educational and can help us learn about animals. OR The second writer (Peter Singer) because animals are forced to live in small spaces // animals are forced to perform tricks.
Part A Compulsory – 200 words; 10% Text types: feature article, letter, suggestion form, blog, leaflet, email Part B Select a question from the 8 Elective questions – 400 words; 15% Text types: article, advice letter, speech, 1sided & 2- sided essays, story, blog, email, proposal, report PAPER 2 (2 HOURS – 25%)
Writing tips and strategies (2012 HKDSE Paper 2, Question1) The best part of my job Note the text type Be concise Think of one to two content points for this part Include your feeling
Writing tips and strategies (2012 HKDSE Paper 2, Question1) The biggest challenge I have ever faced in my job Think of some challenges a news reporter might face Add a sentence to talk about your personal feeling
Writing tips and strategies (2012 HKDSE Paper 2, Question1) My school days Think of some experiences that are linked to your career
Mark Scheme for Paper 2 Content address the requirements of the question relevant ideas developed in detail able to maintain the reader’s interest show your awareness of the audience
Language a range of accurate sentence structures grammatical sentences a wide range of vocabulary accurate spelling and punctuation appropriate register, tone and style
Organisation introduction - body – conclusion connectives appropriate text type
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Below is a list of topics that are likely to appear in the coming HKDSE English exam.
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Part A When you were riding a cable car in Ocean Park or Ngong Ping 360, it suddenly stopped functioning. Describe how you felt and what happened next. A girl said in her blog that she was considering suicide. Describe what you did in order to save her life in your blog.
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Part A Your school library is organizing a Reading Week. You are asked to write a promotional leaflet to encourage schoolmate to take part in this event.
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Part B Learning English through Short Stories Write a blog entry describing your experience of interviewing a famous storywriter. You went to the Hong Kong Book Fair and bought some English books. Write a diary entry describing what you saw there and in what way the books you bought interested you.
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Part B Learning English through Sports Communication Write an article in your school newspaper inviting classmates to join a new sports club. Write a letter to parents persuading them to donate money for improving the school’s sports facilities.
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Part B Learning English through Debating Write a debate speech arguing whether traditional paper-print textbooks should be replaced by electronic books.
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Part B Learning English through Workplace Communication Write a blog entry describing the experience of selling goods with classmates at a Lunar New Year Flower Fair. Write an email to your friend describing your summer job experience as an office assistant.
Hot topic watch for Paper 2 Part B Learning English through Social Issues Write an article about privacy on social networking sites. Write an article discussing how reducing food wastage can contribute to environmental protection.
PAPER 3 (2 HOURS – 30%) Part A Filling in missing information e.g. proper names, objectives, flow charts, qualities, effects, attitudes, response
PAPER 3 (2 HOURS – 30%) Part B Long tasks: article, letter, speech, report, proposal e.g. DES-PP-Part B1 Tasks 5-7 Mark scheme: @ task Task fulfillment (9 marks) Language (5 marks) Coherence & Organisation (2 marks) Appropriacy (2 marks) Total mark: 18