Presentation on theme: "Nový Bydžov town of Czech queens and student merendas"— Presentation transcript:
1 Nový Bydžov town of Czech queens and student merendas Originally a royal town, firstly mentioned in sources from 1305, was established close to river Cidlina,in the south-east direction from Stary (Old) Bydzov, following a regular town-plan scheme,that was unequalled in the medieval times.Already in 1325, the town (caused by debts of John of Bohemia) became a property of the Vartenberg family,in 1516 it passed into the hands of the Pernstein family, and in1548 it was in the holding of the Wallensteins.In 1569 Novy Bydzov was exempt by payment from servitude and became the royal dowry town.During the years it was the royal seat of the newly created Novy Bydzov region which included the Giant Mountains from Vrchlabi through Jilemnice, Nova Paka, Jicin, Horice, Novy Bydzov,Chlumec nad Cidlinou and Podebrady as far as Sadska. In 1784 the seat of the region was transferred to Jicin due to its position,however the name of the region remained the same until 1850.Novy Bydzov was then, from 1850 to 1960, the district center. Even though the district had been abolished,the town did not cease to be the natural center of the region for approximately 20 thousand inhabitants from 40 towns and villages.In the town of schools, is still kept the tradition of student merendas, that students celebrated alreadyin the middle of 18th century. Novy Bydzov has been, since 1999, also a member of Association of nine royal dowry towns.
2 1305 - 2005 Photographs of significant town monuments, used for a jubilee calendar publishedin 2005, reflecting 700th anniversary of establishment ofNový Bydžov.
3 Gothic church of St. Lawrence, the oldest town‘s building from the 14th centuryin a photo taken from the savings-bank.
4 preserved book in Bohemia – State regional registry in Hradec Králové. The conscience-book of Town Nový Bydžov from 1311 to 1470, the second olderspreserved book in Bohemia – State regional registry in Hradec Králové.
5 The monk‘s head from former minorite convent from the beginning of the 14th century, the only preserved remembrance in town of a building destroyed by the Hussites – entrance of the town-hall in Novy Bydzov.
6 vedutas within our lands – University library in Würzburg. Veduta of Nový Bydžov from 1536 (or 1537) by Mathias Gerung, one of the oldestvedutas within our lands – University library in Würzburg.
7 Silver town sealing-sticks from 1608 and 1678 (mirror-like turned) Town museum in Nový Bydžov
8 From the old Jewish cemetery, established in 1520, The third oldest in Bohemia.
9 Old students flag from the mid 18th century with its sign embroidered in 1848, the most preciousremembrance of student merendas -Town museum in Nový Bydžov
10 Map of Bydžovský region established in 1751 (left) and Královéhradecký region (right) from atlas from the end of the 18th century – Town museum in Nový Bydžov.
11 Veduta of Nový Bydžov on an engraved form of guild vocational certificate from Ignác Ottfrom Trutnov (after 1780) -Town museum in Nový Bydžov
12 Town museum in Nový Bydžov Picture of the town‘s regular ground-plan on a designating scheme from 1841 –Town museum in Nový Bydžov
13 Old renaissance town-hall with Hruškovský house on a lithography printed at K. Schreyer and H. Fuchsin Prague (after 1963) –Town museum in Nový Bydžov
14 preserved photograph of the square – Town museum in Nový Bydžov. Sanctification of the flag of military veterans on 21st August 1870, the oldestpreserved photograph of the square – Town museum in Nový Bydžov.
15 Famous promenade in the square in front of the pharmacy U Zlaté koruny, caught by the object-lens of Viktor Beneš (around 1895) – Town museum in Nový Bydžov.
16 Town museum in Nový Bydžov Published byTown museum in Nový BydžovTextsJaroslav ProkopPhotoPetr Langer