A design process is a systematic problem-solving strategy, with criteria and constraints, used to develop many possible solutions to solve or satisfy human needs or wants and to narrow down the possible solutions to one final choice. What is an Engineering Design Process? The Engineering Design Process Images courtesy of NASA
The Engineering Design Process Design Process Examples 1.Identify problems and opportunities 2.Frame a design brief 3.Investigate and research 4.Generate alternative solutions 5.Choose a solution 6.Developmental work 7.Model and prototype 8.Test and evaluate 9.Redesign and improve Design and Problem Solving in Technology
The Engineering Design Process Design Process Examples 1.Identify the need 2.Define the criteria 3.Explore/research/investigate 4.Generate alternate solutions 5.Choose a solution 6.Develop the solution 7.Model/prototype 8.Test and evaluate 9.Redesign and improve Engineering Drawing and Design (3 rd edition)
An Engineering Design Process Engineering Design Process PLTW - Engineering Design & Development 1.Define and Justify Problem 2.Generate Multiple Solutions 3.Select and Develop Solution 4.Construct and Test Prototype 5.Reflect and Evaluate 6.Present Results
An Engineering Design Process Research 1. Define and Justify a Problem Brainstorm possible project problems. Research and select a valid problem. Become an expert on the problem. Justify the problem through research. Academic Market Write a problem statement. Document and analyze prior solutions. Identify design requirements. Create a Project Proposal.
2. Generate and Defend Solution Concepts An Engineering Design Process Design Identify and apply the principles and practices associated with Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Generate multiple solution concepts. Make a data driven decision selecting the most viable design.
3. Develop a Testable Solution Design An Engineering Design Process Design Once a solution path is chosen - Generate and finalize drawings/schematics. Identify materials, tools, and skills needed to create the prototype. Seek expert fabrication support if needed. Validate you proposed solution through a Preliminary Design Review
4. Develop Testing Plan and Construct Prototype An Engineering Design Process Prototype and Test You may need to incrementally test features of your design as you build. Develop testing procedures and a data collection plan. Qualitative – Does our design solve the problem? Quantitative – Does our design operate in the parameters we defined as part of our design requirements? Create prototype. Evaluate the prototype through a Critical Design Review.
5. Reflect on the Solution and the Process An Engineering Design Process Reflect Contact experts and stakeholders. Document external evaluation of the project. Document the designers evaluation of the project. Present your recommendations.
6. Presentation of Findings and Defense of Project Finalize your engineering notebook. Finalize your project portfolio. Present your findings and defend you project steps. An Engineering Design Process Present
Image Resources Microsoft, Inc. (n.d.). Clip art. Retrieved September 30, 2009, from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/default.aspx National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). (n.d.). NASA image exchange. Retrieved October 12, 2009, from http://nix.nasa.gov/.