Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Updated: 2/2015. Registration form is due to your English teacher February 23rd! Students will be meeting with their counselor individually to have their.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Updated: 2/2015. Registration form is due to your English teacher February 23rd! Students will be meeting with their counselor individually to have their."— Presentation transcript:

1 Updated: 2/2015

2 Registration form is due to your English teacher February 23rd! Students will be meeting with their counselor individually to have their course requests entered, and will have the opportunity to ask questions at that time. Step 1: Chose your classes If you are applying to a family, you have to complete an application (new applicants only). Go to under the programs tab. Family Coordinators: SHAPE: Ms. Kammerer: ITA: Mr. Albizo: CCA: Ms. Friend: NMAA: Ms. Burton Select an English and Government/Economics option. All 12 th graders must take these two classes. Student MUST have their current teacher sign their registration form if they are registering for ANY AP class.

3 Select a math and science course (not required for graduation. Skip if you have completed the graduation requirement and are choosing to not take a math or science in 12 th grade). Choose your electives. English and Government are the only required classes for 12 th graders (unless you are missing credits in a subject area). Math, Science and Language are all considered electives in 12 th grade. Choose your electives thoughtfully based on meeting graduation requirements and college admission requirements. List classes in order of preference and make sure to list an alternate elective. If you do not add an alternate elective and the class you want is full, an elective will be chosen for you. Make sure to have teachers sign for EVERY course that requires a teacher’s signature or the course request will not be honored. Courses that need a signature say “Teacher Rec” next to them on the Course Options Form. For AP Psychology: The signature from your current US HISTORY teacher is required.

4 Off-Campus ROP Classes Mission Valley ROP provides relevant career technical education by preparing students for employment and college through industry standard tools, training, and experience. Important Notes: Classes are 2 periods in length and are held at the ROP center (They are 1 st and 2 nd period or 5 th and 6 th ). Students that take a 1 st /2 nd period class have to provide their own transportation to ROP. A bus brings students back to IHS. Course information/videos and requirements can be found at If a student drops an off-campus ROP class, they must add a different off-campus ROP class. Many classes are “a-g” approved. See the website for more information. NEWer classes: Digital Electronics/Computer Sci & Software Engineering Law Enforcement Architecture and Civil Engineering BioMedical Science Emergency Medical Responder

5 Course Prerequisites : course prerequisites are stated on the Course Options form. Many classes require students to have a teacher recommendation AND a certain 1 st semester grade in their current class. Students must have both. Having a teacher recommendation without the grade requirement is not enough to enroll in the class. Zero Period/7 th Period class: If you would like to enroll in a 0 period or 7 th period class, list it in the appropriate box. AP Registration Form: Must be completed by EVERY student planning to take ANY AP course.

6 AP Classes EVERY STUDENT that is registering for ANY AP course must complete the AP Registration Form and attach it to their registration packet. Extra copies can be found online at under the “counselors” tab.

7 DO NOT DO NOT take AP classes just because your friends/peers are. Everyone has different ability levels. Take the most challenging classes that YOU can still do well in. DO NOT take AP classes just to impress colleges. GPA is still the most important factor in college admissions. If you take 6 AP classes but do not do well in them (“c” grades), it will not matter for college admissions that you took them and will negatively impact your application. AP Classes If you are registering for AP classes: Make sure you are prepared and have an interest in the subject. Make sure you will have the time necessary to be successful in all of your classes. Remember you will have QUEST, college applications, scholarship searches, financial aid paperwork, clubs, extra-curricular activities, job/volunteer work, etc. If you do poorly in your 12 th grade classes it can affect your college admissions. Understand that you will not have the opportunity to transfer to a college prep course once the school year begins (even if you are failing the course or are earning a “c” grade). The number of spaces in college prep classes are based on student requests at the time of registration. ****As you can tell this is a very big and important decision. We have hundreds of students that receive NCs, Is and Cs in their AP/honors classes, and try to drop the class. Drops cannot be accommodated. Choose your classes wisely.****

8 Graduation Reqs Versus UC/CSU Reqs Health- 5 credits PE- 20 credits Fine Art OR World Language or CTE Fine Art AND World Language AND OR (Digital Drawing, Arts Spectrum, Social Dance, Culinary Arts, and Creative Writing are NOT fine art classes) Algebra 1 + 20 more credits of math Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 (minimum) CAHSEESAT or ACT What are the main differences? Social Science- 30 creditsSocial Science- same Science- 20 credits Science- 20 credits (prefer Bio and Chem/Biotech) Electives: 75 credits required. Any class taken after a subject requirement is met is counted as an elective (Ex: Your 3 rd year of science counts as an elective). 40 hours of community service You should have 140 credits at this time. If you are missing units, see your counselor in MARCH for summer school registration and MAZE day for Adult School Registration.

9 Where do Irvington Students go to College? 30% attend community colleges (Ohlone and DeAnza are most popular with our students) 26% attend a University of California (UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, etc.) 17% attend a California State University (San Jose State, CSU East Bay, etc.) 24% attend other 4 year universities including private California colleges as well as private and public out of state colleges. *7% of the class of 2014 are attending “Top 100 colleges” as determined by U.S. News and World Report (Stanford, New York University, etc.) 2% military/vocational schools

10 Know Irvington’s a-g list / Every class at Irvington that fulfills an a-g subject requirement for CSU and UC admission can be found on this list.

11 New/Newer Classes: Robotics: Learn to build and program robots. No prior experience needed. See Ms. Berbawy’s website for more info (a-g pending). Prerequisite is Algebra 2 or higher concurrently. Guitar: a-g approved area “f”. No prior experience needed. Beginners-advanced welcome. It is preferred that student can provide their own guitar. Introduction to Engineering Design: a-g approved area “f”. No experience required. Ms. Berbawy. Creative Writing: a-g approved area “g.” AP Physics 1: AP Physics B has been divided into two classes (1&2). Only AP Physics 1 will be offered at IHS. AP Physics C will still be offered. Business Math: math credit for graduation Discovering Geometry: Review of Algebra 1& intro to geometry. Math credit for graduation. AP Music Theory: Need to have 3-4 years of experience reading and playing music.

12 Step Two: Proof of residency. Attach COPIES (you will not get them back) of two forms of proof. Step Three: Parent and student signatures are required. Note that: Course requests cannot be guaranteed Students will not be able to drop classes once the school year begins. Teacher recommendations can be revoked based on 2 nd semester performance. Your transcript MUST stay attached to this packet!!!!!

13 Additional Notes On Campus ROP Courses are 1 period in length (check to see what classes are a-g approved). Discovering Geometry and Business Math are the only non-college prep math classes offered at Irvington that students can take to earn math credits towards graduation only. Sports/Physical Therapy is a science class that students can take to earn science credits towards graduation only. Marching Band is Fall semester only (5 credits of PE). Kinesiology (Ohlone) awards PE credits (5) for Fall semester and elective credits (5) for Spring semester. Counselors are available to STUDENTS during lunch and after school during the registration weeks. They are not in their offices (in classes doing registration) during class periods.

14 Visit the Counselor’s Corner and the College and Career Center online for answers to many frequently asked questions…

Download ppt "Updated: 2/2015. Registration form is due to your English teacher February 23rd! Students will be meeting with their counselor individually to have their."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google