Presentation on theme: "Kosovo Ministry of Transport & Communications"— Presentation transcript:
1Kosovo Ministry of Transport & Communications Department of Road Infrastructure welcomesthe Stability Pact DelegationPristina, 29 July 2003
2Contents of the presentation Post conflict road & bridge infrastructure needsRehabilitation and maintenance progress reviewProgress review on traffic policy and road infrastructure managementPriority projects & progressDiscussion on future needs and developments278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
31. Post conflict road & bridge infrastructure needs The existing road networkPost Conflict Damage Assessment (EC/IMG)278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
7Post Conflict Damage Assessment (EC/IMG), completed Nov.99 Noted that roads had suffered less from war activity than from lack of maintenanceEstimate for Main (647 km) & Regional (1287km) network rehabilitation was Euro 161 Million, & Euro 25 M p.a. for routine maintenance278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
82. Rehabilitation and maintenance progress review Donor Community response to Road Infrastructure NeedsProgress review278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
9Donor Community response to Road Infrastructure Needs 1999 - 2003 1999 funding: emergency work only, largely by KFOR2000 funding: Euro 16 M on roads / Euro 3 M on bridges2001 funding: Euro 22 M on roads & Euro 4 M on main bridges from donors- in addition to KFOR routine work, bypasses & emergency bridges- Euro 4 M under KCB (for first time)funding:- Euro 9.5 M under KCB- Euro 8 M from donors2003 funding:- Euro 17 M under KCB- No funding from donors yet
10Rehabilitation and maintenance progress review Condition of main roads improvedSecondary & local roads remain poor, with sections failingBridges remain an unknown problemTraffic continues to grow- at least 50% increase in ADT over pre-war levels- vehicle mass allowed is above design and legal limit- military traffic is some 5 to 6% of volume- congestion becoming a problem locally, & at intersections, as volumes increase on arterial routes- encroachment of road reserve is key problemIRI > 5 for 7% of magistrala roadsRecent estimate for annual routine maintenance placed at Euro 20 MRecent estimate for 17 bridge son M2 was Euro 13 M
113. Progress review on traffic policy and road infrastructure management Progress on legal frameworkProgress on road infrastructure managementProgress on planning: categorization of roadsConcerns & gaps278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
12Progress on the legal framework LawsLaw of Roads (new Law approved by the Kosovo Assembly, June 2003)Law on Road Traffic (1984, draft of new Law prepared)Laws on International Transport, Dangerous & Explosive Goods (draft of new Law prepared)Procurement & contracting regulations (Law prepared)Implementation not fully achieved and will be reviewed in compliance with European StandardsWhile cumbersome and dated, the basic needs are well covered legally.Serbia seeking a re-draft of basic law in 2002, as being forwarded here.
13Progress on road infrastructure management New Ministry Road Administration Department staffed and operationalDirectorate of Roads re-established & staff recruitedSNIC services delivered to all of KosovoKCB Summer maintenance contracts completedRoad Inventory (IDR) establishedRoad Network Master Plan completedMinistry has HDM-IV & SEPTRAN Traffic modelsDonor projects – works & consultant – effectively implemented and expenditure targets achieved.65 staff in DoR9 staff in Ministry – includes Transport Economist, Environment person
14Progress on categorization of roads Categorization establishedRegional RoadsMain roadsOther roadsOngoing implementation of road categorization standardsGuidelines will be introduced
15Concerns & gapsSerious need to consider mass control on vehicles (legal limit well below EU standard, axle mass control system being developed)Continued need to pursue donor support when loan option unavailable & to “catch-up”Critical concern with bridge safety
164. PRIORITY PROJECTS FOR THE KOSOVO ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE NETWORK Repair remaining bridges M2 Prishtinë – BllacëEnlargement & Additional Lanes for Road M2 Prishtine – Lipjan intersectionEnlargement & Additional Lanes for Road M9 Prishtinë-AirportEnlargement & Additional Lanes for Road M2 Prishtine – Mitrovica (Prishtina-Podujeva Intersection)Upgrade Prishtine West Ring Road278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
174. PRIORITY PROJECTS FOR THE KOSOVO ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE NETWORK (continued) Upgrade & Asphalting Prishtine East RingRehabilitation of the Road Zheger-Stanciq-Kumanove. (Macedonia) L 15,1 KmConstruction of Road Decan – Kozhnjer (Plave – Montenegro), L – 8,4 kmImprovements of Border Crossings PointsMotorway Durres – Kukes – Prizren – Prishtine – – Merdare278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
181.Repair remaining bridges M2 Prishtinë - Bllacë Section on M2 main road, with 17 bridgesPart of important corridor Kosova – Macedonia – GreeceCarriageway and bridges built more than20 years agoContinuously damaged by heavy international transportLack of maintenanceEuropean Agency for Reconstruction / Bridges Study by BCEOM Consultants proposedRepairs and strengthening to upgrade 8 remaining bridges to Eurocode standardsEstimated cost: 10,000, Euro.
192.Enlargement & Additional Lanes for Road M2 Prishtine – Lipjan Intersection (12 km road section) 16,500 ADT (Vehicles/day), traffic counts August 2002almost reached capacityMaster Plan Study for the Kosova Road Network, by BCEOM Consultants in 2001/2002 (funded under EAR projects) recommendedThe construction of two additional traffic lanes has and improvements to the traffic flow are necessaryThe cost estimation for this project is 10,000, Euro.
203. Enlargement & Additional Lanes for Road M9 Prishtinë-Airport (15 km section) 11, 500 ADT (Vehicles/day), traffic counts August 2002Almost reached capacityAirport accessibility has high priorityMaster Plan Study for the Kosova Road Network, by BCEOM Consultants in 2001/2002 (funded under EAR projects) recommendedThe construction of two additional traffic lanesThe cost estimation for this project is 15,000, Euro.
21 4.Enlargement & Additional Lanes for Road M2 Prishtine – Mitrovica (Prishtina-Podujeva Intersection, 12 km)11,765 ADT (Vehicles/day), traffic counts August 2002Almost reached capacityAirport accessibility has high priorityMaster Plan Study for the Kosova Road Network recommendedThe construction of two additional traffic lanesThe cost estimation for this project is 10,000, Euro
225.Upgrade Prishtine West Ring Road 9000 cars and 1200 trucks daily cross through the west side of Prishtine creating major traffic congestion, traffic safety and air quality problemsMaster Plan Study for the Kosova Road Network recommendedNew bypass road for Prishtine to reduce congestion of traffic along M2, M9 and M25The estimation for this project is 8,000, Euro.
23 6.Upgrade & Asphalting Prishtine East Ring more than 7000 cars and 500 trucks crosses Prishtine on the east side each day creating major traffic congestion, traffic safety and air quality problems in the center of the cityMaster Plan Study for the Kosova Road Network recommendedNew bypass to divert the traffic on M2 and M25 away from the city centerThe existing unsealed bypass needs to be asphaltedThe cost estimation is 7,000, Euro
247. Rehabilitation of the Road Zheger-Stanciq-Kumanove (Macedonia) L 15,1 Km This Road connects Kosovo with the Republic of MacedoniaRepublic of Macedonia has officially published for its border crossing direction Kosova.Through this, Kosova opens one more border crossing with Macedonia that is connected with Corridor 8The forecasted value according to the project is: Euro
258. Construction of Road Decan – Kozhnjer (Plave – Montenegro), L – 8,4 km This Road connects Kosova with the Republic of Montenegro and Seaside.Construction of the Road is very important to have the alternative route for the connection with Montenegro .The forecasted value according to the project is: Euro
269. Improvements of Border Crossings Points Vermica Border Crossing Point Improvement - The important border crossing point with Albania. The existing situation needs a improvement by the construction of new parking lot, additional traffic lane and improvements of custom building. The estimation is 1,500, Euro.Kula Pass Border Crossing Point Improvement – The main gate connecting with Montenegro. The improvements include the construction of new custom building, parking lot and additional traffic line. The project estimation is 1,800, Euro. Existing situation is very bad without parking lot and customs in a container.Merdare Border Crossing Point Improvement – The main gate with Serbia. The existing situation is unsatisfactory and improvements are necessary to ensure the high level of service. The estimation is 1,500, Euro and includes a customs building, parking lot and construction of additional road traffic lanes.
27Motorway Durres – Kukes – Prizren – Prishtine – Merdare Pre- Feasibility study has been presented by themExperts of different profiles and especially from Kosova and Albania made first surveys of new Trans-Balkan CorridorLong-term perspective: incorporation of Kosova into the European Road network and international road corridorsThree Variations of the new motorway The first variation (I) Kukes (Morine-Vermive) -Prizren-Therande-Prishtine– Merdare The second variation (II) Kukes (Morine – Vermice) – Prizren – Carraleve Komoran – Prilluzhe – Lluzhan – Merdare The third variation (III) Existing road, widening and reconstruction on the base of conditions and technical elements for the motorway (Prishtine – Prizren)
295. Discussion on future needs and developments 278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
30Further development in Road Infrastructure Program Management (1) Continuity in Road Maintenance & Rehabilitation ProgramProgress on Road Categorization ImplementationPriority Road Projects (see list)Border Crossings infrastructure (Albania, Montenegro, Serbia)Road User Charge StudyBridge DatabaseRoad Safety Implementation Plan & Road Safety Council278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
31Further development in Road Infrastructure Program Management (2) Active partnership within Regional Balkan Transport Infrastructure Study (REBIS) and South – Eastern Transport Observatory (SEETO)Road Management Information Systems: next steps in computerization (GIS applications, processing traffic safety data, …..)Further staff deployment, capacity building and training278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
32Requests for international project funding See list of priority projects, including:Road Infrastructure projects on Corridor/Route 7 of the REBIS Core Road NetworkRoad Infrastructure projects on Corridor/Route 6 of the REBIS Core Road NetworkBorder Crossings infrastructure (Albania, Montenegro, Serbia)Integrated (sustainable) urban transport plan for Pristina in relation to impact study of the West and East Ring Road of Pristina278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
33Requests for further international assistance in capacity building Best practice guidance and manual for Road Categorization ImplementationBest practice guidance and manual for Border Crossings infrastructureAssistance in computerized traffic and travel data information management (software and training)278 bridges in KosovoDid not consider local road needs
34THANKS FOR YOUR KIND ATTENTION AND WE WELCOME YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS Ramë QupevaHead Road Infrastructure DepartmentJozef ZuallaertInternational advisor transport & road infrastructureMinistry of Transport and Communications