Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Curriculum Planning South Asian Languages. Curriculum Purpose Guide the processes of teaching/learning Based on knowledge of the learning process/context.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Curriculum Planning South Asian Languages. Curriculum Purpose Guide the processes of teaching/learning Based on knowledge of the learning process/context."— Presentation transcript:

1 Curriculum Planning South Asian Languages

2 Curriculum Purpose Guide the processes of teaching/learning Based on knowledge of the learning process/context Focus Interaction Understanding the learner/learning context Realization Syllabus design Flexible specifications Provision of means for instructional action

3 Foundational Principles: AAA Awareness Autonomy Authenticity

4 Awareness Relating learning to existing knowledge and experience The stone-age man from New Guinea Noticing/consciousness raising Focused attention Role of perception Reflection

5 Autonomy Chomsky (1988:181): The truth of the matter is that about 99 percent of teaching is making the students feel interested in the material. Then the other 1 percent has to do with your method.

6 Autonomy—Basic Principles Motivation Intrinsic (innate) Extrinsic (environmental) Choice, Affect, Effort Attention-paying << high/sustained cognitive effort << positive affect (for activity, materials) << feeling of control, ownership, competence Responsibility Decision making

7 Authenticity Texts Language use in life Newspaper articles, novels, poems, commercials, soap opera episodes Relevance

8 Another A?: Achievement Intraindividual/Interindividual Improvement Accomplishment How are the intra and the inter related? Relational implication for: Self-esteem Assessment Feedback Rewards

9 Learner Needs Who is the second language learner? What does s/he bring to class? What are her/his goals?

10 Needs Analysis Topic study pop culture current affairs Method small group discussion Formal language study Skills speaking Writing Assessment teacher assess my work

11 Learner types and learning preferences Concrete learners games, videos, talking in pairs Analytical learners grammar, read newspapers, study alone Communicative learners watching, listening, using L2 outside Authority-oriented learners teacher explanation, textbook

12 Summing up: CLT Language learning is learning (struggling) to communicate Meaning is paramount Fluency and acceptable language is the primary goal: judge accuracy in context Sequencing is determined by any consideration of content function Linguistic variation is a central concept in materials and method

13 Do the results stack up? Learners produce greater quantity and variety of language in group work versus teacher-fronted activities. In group work, NNS-NNS interaction produce more talk. Learners who have opportunities to negotiate meaning (make clarification requests and check comprehension) do better at comprehension than those learners receiving simplified input. Communication-based + grammar-focus instruction works better than grammar-only OR communication- only instruction.

14 What do WE need to do? Provide appropriate input Use language in authentic ways Provide context Design/use task-based activities Encourage collaboration Address grammar consciously Adjust feedback to the situation Include cultural aspects of language use

15 Conclusions Focus on DISCOVERING culture Language is the instrument/tool/medium of that DISCOVERY Learner is ACTIVE Teacher’s role: Keeping learner ACTIVE


Download ppt "Curriculum Planning South Asian Languages. Curriculum Purpose Guide the processes of teaching/learning Based on knowledge of the learning process/context."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google