Presentation on theme: " DO NOW 1.Take out a half sheet of paper 2.Label your quiz like this: Quiz R1.2 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Quiz R1.5 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Name Date Period English."— Presentation transcript:
DO NOW 1.Take out a half sheet of paper 2.Label your quiz like this: Quiz R1.2 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Quiz R1.5 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Name Date Period English
Quiz Check Quiz Read a Drama and Answer Questions: ◦ Pages 814-815 Unit Assessment next week!! Foldable next week
Answer each question carefully! I will slowly read the questions and answer choices. We will start with R1.2 and then finish with R1.5
1. Which sentence contains a simile? A.Sheila ran as fast as she could to the finish line B.Henry said he would like to eat ice cream at every meal C.Sophia wrote an essay that looked like it would get an A D.Jose rode the horse like a cowboy in an old western movie
2. Which line from a story is an example of personification? A.“Your hair dances when you walk around.” B.“Glass is made from sand that is melted.” C.“It has been around for a very long time.” D.“People will benefit from inventions.”
3. Which sentence contains a metaphor? A.Jennifer ran to the base after she hit the ball. B.Mark was cold when he went outside. C.The pillow was a cloud when I rested my head against it. D.The bed was soft.
4. What does award mean as it is used in this sentence from a story? “Samuel did not realize that his writing skills would award him a future as a newspaper editor.” A.deny B.present C.force D.purchase
5. Which line from a story is an example of a metaphor? A.The moon was a vanilla wafer in the night sky. B.The hills were lush and green after the spring rain. C.The lions paced in their cages as if they were nervous. D.The fountain sparked and danced in the sunlight.
1. Read the following sentence and answer the question: “I think the start of your assignment is right here on my desk. Which of the these means nearly the same as assignment? A.Task B.Voyage C.Contest D.Operation
2. Read the following sentence and answer the question: “Rose’s research had already started.” Which of the these means nearly the same as research? A.Manuscript B.Progress C.Study D.Panel
3. Read the following sentence and answer the question: “Leading health officials tell us that our bodies require at least eight glasses of water a day.” What is the BEST synonym for the word require in the sentence above? A.Need B.Miss C.Desire D.Wish
4. Which of the following could be different shades of meaning for the word awful? A.white, gray, black B.horrible, terrible, unpleasant C.wonderful, average, bad D.dreadful, amazing, beautiful
5. Which of these words could replace the word erosion in the following sentence? “Erosion of the cliffs produces large blocks of sandstone that litter the beaches at the foot of the cliffs.” A.gravel B.flooding C.damage D.misfortune
Turn to page 814-815 in your Literature Textbook I need three volunteers to help me read the drama: ◦ Eleni ◦ Zack ◦ Sandra When we finish reading the drama, we will analyze it and its characters by answering the 8 questions that follow.
What is the purpose of the use of scenes in this drama? A) To show change and time of setting B) To show Zach’s character growth C) To indicate various emotions D) To reveal setting
What main problem does the dialogue in this play reveal? A) Eleni and Zack did not want to move B) Tim and Sandra do not understand the game that Eleni and Zack are playing C) Zack does not understand what Elemi is doing when they go to the park D) Eleni and Zack have not yet made friends in their new town
Why do the stage directions in the play include descriptions such as Brightening and Shyly? A) So the actors will know how to move on the stage B) So the actors will know mood is being set C) So the actors will know how to react to one another D) So the actors will know how loudly to speak
According to the stage directions, where does the main part of the drama take place? A) At Eleni and Zack’s house B) At Tim’s house C) At a neighborhood park D) Inside Eleni and Zack’s house
Which of these would most likely serve as a prop in this drama? A) A bicycle tire B) A park swing set C) A book D) A game board
What happens in the resolution of the play? A) Zack and Eleni play a game B) Zack and Eleni move to a new town C) Eleni invents a new game D) Zack and Eleni make new friends
Which of these is most likely the author’s purpose for writing this play? A) To entertain B) To Persuade C) To inform D) To explain
Vocabulary in Context. Which word is closest in meaning to the underlined word sheepish? A) Angry B) Suspicious C) Embarrassed D) Confused