Presentation on theme: "Words for Production 1. fable [ `febL ] n. [C] a story which teaches a lesson or truth, especially one in which animals or objects speak 寓言故事 Fables use."— Presentation transcript:
Words for Production 1. fable [ `febL ] n. [C] a story which teaches a lesson or truth, especially one in which animals or objects speak 寓言故事 Fables use simple language, but the kind of wisdom they present to us is not simple or easy to practice.
Words for Production 2. character [ `k8rIkt2 ] n. [C][U] a person in a story or play; the qualities which make a person, thing, place, etc. different from another 人 物； ( 人的 ) 性格， ( 物的 ) 特性 Next
Words for Production 2. character Most people like the play because all the characters in it are very real. When they pulled down the old church in the center of town, the whole character of the place was changed.
Words for Production 3. weakness [ `wiknIs ] n. [C] a weak part; a fault in character 弱點 Drinking is his weakness. If he could get rid of it, he would be a perfect man. * get rid of 除去
Words for Production 4. temptation [ tEmp`teS1n ] n. [C] a strong desire to have or do something even though one knows he/she should not; something that attracts ( 心想要做 … 的 ) 誘惑；誘惑 * even though = even if 即使 Next
Words for Production 4. temptation Many people cannot resist the temptation to get a large amount of money in a short time. All that fame is certainly a big temptation for the young actor. 詞類變化 * a large amount of + 不可數名詞 = a lot of + 不可數名詞 許多
tempt [ tEmpt ] vt. 誘惑，引誘 Bad friends tempted him to cheat on the examination.
Words for Production 5. insight [ `In&saIt ] n. [U] the power of using one ’ s mind to understand something deeply 洞察 力，深刻的了解 Visiting London on my own gave me an insight into the lives of people who live there. * on one’s own = independently 獨立地
Words for Production 6. moral [ `mOr1l ] n. [C] a good lesson in behavior or the right way of leading one ’ s life that can be learned from a story or event ( 故事、 事件等的 ) 教訓，寓意 You can draw a moral from the story: no pain, no gain. 詞類變化 *No pain, no gain. (proverb) 一分耕耘, 一分收穫.
moral [ `mOr1l ] adj. 道德 ( 上 ) 的 The government should pay more attention to moral education. * pay attention to 注意 * moral education 道德教育
Words for Production 7. orchard [ `OrtS2d ] n. [C] a field where fruit trees are grown 果 園 His apple orchard is open to the public. Every weekend lots of people go there to pick fruit. * be open to 對 … 開放 * the public 大眾 * lots of = a lot of 許多
Words for Production 8. line [ laIn ] vt. to form rows along 沿 … 排列成行 There was a serious traffic jam over there because both sides of the street were lined with cars. * traffic jam 交通壅塞 * be lined with 排滿了 …
Words for Production 9. load [ lod ] vt. to put an amount on or in (something) 往上加重量，裝載 The farmer loaded his truck with fresh vegetables and fruits. 詞類變化
load [ lod ] vt. 確認 Trucks can carry heavy loads of materials.
Words for Production 10. juicy [ `dZusI ] adj. having a lot of juice 多汁的 The look of that juicy melon makes my mouth water.
Words for Production 11. spy [ spaI ] vt. to notice; to catch sight of 注意到，看 見 Surprisingly, I spied an unidentified flying object in the sky last night. 詞類變化 * spy = notice = catch sight of * Surprisingly, ( 置句首修飾全句 ) = It is surprising that … * unidentified flying object = UFO 不明飛行物體 ; 幽浮
spy [ spaI ] n. [C] 間諜，密探 As a British spy, James Bond found out lots of secret information about other countries.
Words for Production 12. bunch [ b^ntS ] n. [C] a number of things (usually small and of the same kind) fastened, held, or growing together at one point ( 一 ) 串， ( 一 ) 束 Robert sent his girlfriend a bunch of roses to show how much he loved her. * a bunch of 一束
Words for Production 13. determined [ dI`t3mInd ] adj. firm; having a strong will 決意的，堅 決的 Mary is determined to study abroad as soon as she graduates from college. 詞類變化 * be determined to +V = determine to + V 決心 * as soon as = when 當 …
determine [ dI`t3mIn ] vt. 決定 We all have the right to determine our own future.
determination [ dI&t3m1`neS1n ] n. [U] 決心 Her firm determination to pass the entrance exam made her study even harder. * firm determination 堅定的決心
Words for Production 14. directly [ d1`rEktlI ] adv. exactly; precisely 正好地，恰好 I’ll meet you directly opposite the train station at 6 p.m. 詞類變化 * directly = exactly = precisely
direct [ d1`rEkt ] adj. 直接的 When being asked when to get married, he avoided giving a direct answer. * avoid + Ving
direct [ d1`rEkt ] vt. 指揮 I am a grown-up. Don’t direct me what to do all the time.
1. Aesop [ `is1p ] n. a Greek who told stories with lessons in about 500 years before the birth of Christ 伊索 ( B.C. 左右 ) Words for Recognition
2. Christ [ kraIst ] n. also Jesus Christ, the man who established Christianity, considered by the Christians to be the son of God 耶穌基 督 Words for Recognition * Jesus Christ 耶穌基督
3. vine [ vaIn ] n. [C] a climbing plant that produces bunches of juicy green or purple fruit 葡萄藤 Words for Recognition
1. out of one’s reach beyond one ’ s reach 在 … 拿不到的地 方 The medicine should be kept out of children’s reach. Idioms and Phrases * out of one’s reach = beyond one’s reach 拿不到 * keep out of 不讓 …
2. one way or another anyway 無論如何 We must finish our homework one way or another. Idioms and Phrases * one way or another = anyway 無論如何
3. with no success without success; in vain 不成功，徒勞 無功 I felt down because I had tried hard but with no success. Idioms and Phrases * with no success = without success = in vain
4. with one’s nose in the air haughtily; in a way showing that you are better than others 高傲地 She put on her fur coat and walked past us with her nose in the air. Idioms and Phrases * with one’s nose in the air = haughtily 高傲地
5. care for to like 想要；喜歡 ( 用於疑問和否定句 ) “Would you care for tea or coffee?” “Coffee, please.” Idioms and Phrases * care for = like