Presentation on theme: "YOUR NEW WORKFORCE: BAHIS FOR YOU!. Marlene Raasok Executive Dean School of Health & Life Sciences and Community Services Conestoga College Institute."— Presentation transcript:
Marlene Raasok Executive Dean School of Health & Life Sciences and Community Services Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning Kitchener, Ontario October 16, 2014
Leading in Polytechnic Education Comprehensive Programming --2014/15: 3850 FT students, 20% degree (BScN/McMaster, BAHIS, BCCJ, BELPD) Active Learning: Work-integrated & Technology-enhanced learning Access & Pathways Community Partnerships & Applied Research --CIHR/Schlegel Industrial Research Chair for Colleges in Seniors Care SCHOOL OF HEALTH & LIFE SCIENCES AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
YOUR NEW WORKFORCE: BAHIS FOR YOU! 1. WORKFORCE CHALLENGES 2. BAHIS: HI M! 3. GRADUATE AND EMPLOYER STORIES 4. OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU!
1. WORKFORCE CHALLENGES NEW EXPECTATIONS AND OPPORTUNITIES: Out-weigh workforce capabilities ???
2. BAHIS*: HI M ! HEALTH INFORMATICS HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT *BACHELOR OF APPLIED HEALTH INFORMATION SCIENCE: meeting workforce needs through a unique combination of *Sept 2014: First Degree accredited by CHIMA! *Builds on strength of Bachelor of Applied Health Information Management (BAHIM, precursor degree) since 2006/07 with graduates in 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15!
2. BAHIS: HI M ! 4 DOMAINS OF APPLIED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS HEALTH INFORMATION SCIENCES …Health Information 1,2,3 …Health Information Management 1,2,3 …Clinical Systems 1,2, …Database Concepts 1,2,3 …Data Analysis...Systems Integration BIOMEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES …Biomedical Concepts 1,2,3 INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY … Health Informatics 1,2 …Information Systems 1,2 …Programming Concepts 1,2 …Web Applications Development 1,2 …Visual Design …Information Technology & Procurement …Information Technology Planning & Procurement MANAGEMENT SCIENCES … Governance & Structures in HC …Health Care Quality Improvement …User Training & Adult Education..Systems Analysis & Business Process Mgmt …Change Management …Security, Privacy & Confidentiality
2. BAHIS: HI M ! Year 1Year 2Year 3Year 4 Health Information Sciences Information Technology Management Sciences Biomedical & Health Sciences INTEGRATION COURSES/PROJECTS—CHALLENGE STUDENTS TO DESIGN, IMPLEMENT & EVALUATE HEALTH INFORMATICS AND HEALTH INFORMATION SOLUTIONS WHILE ENSURING SECURITY, PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY OF HEALTH INFORMATION –WITH A FOCUS ON “INFORMATION FOR HEALTH”
2. BAHIS: HI M ! Year 1Year 2Year 3Year 4 Health Information Sciences Information Technology Management Sciences Biomedical & Health Sciences REAL-LIFE LEARNING OPPORTUNTIES – a. LABS & PROJECT WORK USING REAL-LIFE SITUATIONS b.HI HUB WITH INTERACTION WITH A RANGE OF HEALTH & COMM. SVCS STUDENTS c.1 MONTH FIELD EXPERIENCE (@end of Yr 2) and 2 x 4 MONTH COOPS BETWEEN YEAR 3 & 4 and REFLECTIVE/VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT IN YR 4
2. BAHIS: HI M ! PROGRAM RESOURCES FACULTY—with experience + academic credential in HI & HIM & Healthcare management & ITS --with developing scholarship focus related to decision support, user interface with EHR’s and primary health care systems HI HUB—practice suite + HI Tech with real-life systems thanks to industry support INTERPROFESSIONAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT-- School with 26 programs across health & community services: with an epractice focus for graduate capability CARE DELIVERY AND INDUSTRY PARTNERS PROGRAM ADVISORY COMMITTEE BAHIS Intake: 36 students/yr Picture of bahis in HI HUB HI HUB
2. BAHIS: HI M ! HEALTH INFORMATION SCIENCES BIOMEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT SCIENCES KEY GRADUATE CAPABILITIES >>APPLY THEORY & PRACTICE OF MANAGING DATA, INFORMATION & KNOWLEDGE USING APPROPRIATE COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES..Health care practice and system understanding + ability to understand and USE web & IT technologies >>APPLY CONCEPTS OF ORG BEHAVIOR & CHANGE MANAGEMENT TO MANAGEMENT OF HEALTH INFORMATICS SOLUTIONS—..Exemplifying critical thinking and communication skills >>APPLY PRINCIPLES AND SKILLS OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT TO HEALTH INFORMATICS AND HEALTH INFORMATIONS SOLUTIONS
2. BAHIS: HI M ! NEW EXPECTATIONS AND OPPORTUNITIES BAHIS GRADUATES (AND CURRENT BAHIM GRADS) BRING EXPERTISE TO BALANCE NEW EXPECTATIONS! *With new CHIMA accreditation, graduates will be eligible to write CHIMA’s certification exam!
3. GRADUATE AND EMPLOYER STORIES SAMPLE CO-OP EMPLOYERS for BAHIM STUDENTS— WILL BUILD ON FOR BAHIS STUDENTS, WITHIN AND OUTSIDE ONTARIO The Hospital for Sick ChildreneHealth Ontario Hamilton Family Health TeamCanada Health Infoway Grand River Informatics Development Ltd. (GRID) St. Josephs Health Care Agfa HealthCare Inc.OntarioMD Waterloo Wellington CCACCancer Care Ontario Canadian Institute for Health Information CIHI Guelph Family Health Team McMaster University (IdeaWorks) Erie St. Clair Local Health Integration Network CGI ConsultingH.I.Next Inc. Parkwood Mennonite HomeStratford Family Health Team COACH: Canada's Health Informatics Association Oculys
3. GRADUATE AND EMPLOYER STORIES SAMPLE CO-OP JOB TITLES Technical Writer Project Management Assistant Test Specialist Technical Support Specialist Software Test Analyst Systems Development Specialist eHealth Services Deployment Specialist Integration & Deployment Specialist Medical Imaging Testing Analyst Medical Testing Analyst Validation Specialist Nursing Informatics Analyst Assistant Business Analyst, Shared Services Student Analyst – Cancer Informatics EMR Implementation Specialist IT Assistant/Web Coordinator Junior Research Analyst
3. GRADUATE AND EMPLOYER STORIES Family Health Team: We look for Co-op students to enhance data discipline within our practice since these students have both health care understanding/terminology and data management skills; our co-op student was our #1 hire with new funding for information management! Cancer Care Ontario: I can put my full capabilities to work as I complete data analyses and develop meaningful information documents. Hospital: Your student is creating really good work. Her reports are excellent and she’s managing our portfolio above our expectations. AGFA: Great opportunities for customer service and training, along with my project management skills! CONESTOGA COLLEGE: Our #1 co-op choices to improve data management and information reporting! New Hire for the HI HUB--a role model for students in applying informatics solutions to real-world problems and interfacing with practice partners for field experiences and student projects! BAHIM GRADS SUCCEED: BAHIS GRADS WILL HAVE EXPANDED HIM EXPERTISE!!
4. OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU! HIM GRADUATE; UNIVERSITY STUDENT HIM DIPLOMA TO BAHIS PATHWAY..your degree in 2 years! UNIVERSITY EDUCATION..check out prior learning recognition opportunities **College residence: Priority for degree students **Co-op Services will work with you to find a co-op near your home
4. OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU! POST-SECONDARY INSTITUTIONS Increase your value for students and graduates with defined pathway agreements with Conestoga: a. For HIM Diploma to Degree Completion—increase graduate opportunities for admission into BAHIS year 3 b. For BAHIS to Masters Degree
4. OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU! EMPLOYERS OPEN YOUR DOORS TO A STUDENT; EXPERIENCE THEIR CAPABILTY, ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! * Practicum
4. OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU! EMPLOYERS SPONSOR YOUR EMPLOYEE or HIM DIPLOMA GRADUATE FROM A PARTNER COLLEGE TO GAIN A BAHIS!! >>2 YEARS AT CONESTOGA; priority admission into Conestoga’s residence! >> OPTION TO RETURN TO YOUR ORGANIZATION FOR THE 1 MON FIELD PLACMENT AND THE 2 X4 MON CO-OP PLACEMENT!
4. OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU! DEGREES @ CONESTOGA AND BAHIS PROGRAM INFORMATION ON CONESTOGA WEB SITE www.conestogac.on.ca