Set up feeding centers to…… Checked the health of babies to … Had a vaccination campaign to…… 1.How did she help? Para 1
2. What dangers did she face? Fighting in villages …… Looking out for … and … became … Water borne diseases such as … Mud and water…,making …
A temporary clinic Where? In a vacant health center in the north side of the town. People who have … cannot …in a disaster… Minor injuries also need to… Solve?
problems In the rest of …, shelter and access to … The fields and harvest have been destroyed What? malnutrition Why? Worry about? They will not get enough.
By speaking English or French, or using acting skills. 1. How do they communicate? Para 3
2. What are horrible things for her? It is quite horrible to imagine losing everything, including some of your family. That was a really horrible job to bury the dead bodies as quickly as possible to stop disease spreading.
1.What is the main idea of this paragraph? About the MSF nurse’s feelings of working there. Para 4
2. Does she enjoy the experience of working there? Why? Yes. This experience makes her appreciate all the things she has and gives her the chance to see things from another side.
Fill in the blanks: Para 1 Arrived here to find everything was (1)____; many of the people have fled to the mountains to (2)___; the hospital is badly damaged and (3)____; I usually work in the areas that have no water, where (4)____ is the problem; the situation and problems (5)____ here; we (6)____ the outbreak of water-borne diseases such as malaria and typhoid.
Para 2 We are going to set up a (7)____ there and (8)____ are on their way from overseas; one of the health problems is that people who have (9)____ cannot get hold of it in a disaster like this; the (10)____ of wounds are from walls and roofs that have fallen on people; the water makes it difficult for (11)____ to heal and for bacteria to (12)____; shelter and (13)____ and clean water are big problems; the fields and harvest have been destroyed and so (14)____ will be a problem.
Para 3 One good thing here is that many people can (15)____; this makes it easy (16)____and find out about people ’ s problems; my (17)____ are good; I am finding that my job isn ’ t (18)____. Para 4 Our first job here was to try to organize a (19)____ for the people killed; we needed to bury the dead bodies as quickly as possible to (20)____; that was a really horrible job.
Para 5 I feel that I have been very lucky to be able to help others and do something (21)____; this experience makes me (22)____ all the things I have; I ’ m proud I can (23)____ to people ’ s lives on an (24)____.
1. If you have a chance to go to Africa now, what do you think you can do to help? Discussion
2. What problem do you think should be solved first? Why? 3. If you are asked to help a group of people, who would you choose to help? Why?
1.Write a composition about one of your experiences of helping the others. 2. Finish the exercises of this unit. Homework