Presentation on theme: "Ch 34/35 P2 Explain how the war effected the lives of two minority groups? Explain how the war made their lives better or worse? Analyze two distinct ways."— Presentation transcript:
Ch 34/35 P2 Explain how the war effected the lives of two minority groups? Explain how the war made their lives better or worse? Analyze two distinct ways of thinking or actions by the Germans and the Japanese that made them such a malicious (evil) enemy. Explain Analyze if the US should have dropped the Atomic Bomb on Japan?
ID- Internal Migration in the US during WWII (828) and Segregation in the Military (829) Summary 10- What group of migrants moved in large numbers to take advantage of new jobs in the West? Af/Am (move to LA and Oakland) Summary 11- Prove that the Tuskegee Airmen were among America’s best pilots! Fighter pilots that never lost a bomber OI- Wartime Migrations 25) What happened to Ca.’s population during the war? How much? Grew by 2 mil (war industry jobs, nice weather)
26) Describe Af/Am. Movement during the war Great Migration (left the South to Ca and Midwest) 27) Who were the “Code Talkers”? Navajo Indians (Navajo language used on open mics to relay battlefield instructions) 28) Who were Zoot Suiters and what happened to them in Los Angeles? “Cholos”- cool, young Mexicans who dressed in oversized, baggy suits “Zoot Suit Riots”- servicemen attacked and stripped the Cholos (Cholos were arrested) Make an argument why US servicemen should not be harshly punished?
ID- Allies Landing in Normandy (840) Summary 12- What did the Major mean when he quoted Shakespeare? That they were about to fight in one of the most important and greatest battles ever!!! OI- D-Day: June 6, 1944 29) Who was the commander in charge of the invasion? Dwight Eisenhower 30) Why was Normandy selected? Less defended (because it was farther from England) 31) What US general led the US assault across France? General Patton (Old Blood and Guts)
ID- The Horror of the Holocaust Summary 13-Why did General Eisenhower force Germans to look at the victims at Buchenwald? So Germans realized that they were implicit/guilty in the death of millions of Jews by their inaction, even though they may have never killed a Jew OI- The Last Days of Hitler 32) What was the importance of Battle of the Bulge? Hitler’s last offensive/major attack (80k Ally casualties, 120k German)
33) What happened at the Elbe River? Russian and US troops met 34) What country reached Berlin first? What was Hitler’s response? Russia, suicide Why would Nazis have preferred the US to capture Berlin? Should the US have tried to get to Berlin first?
35) What happened on April 12, 1945? Who was Harry Truman? FDR died (elected 4 times), new President 36) What and when is VE DAY? May 7, 1945, Victory in Europe (Germany surrendered) What are US servicemen in Europe thinking?
ID- The Flag Raising at Iwo Jima Japan has still not surrender (even though Germany has) Island Hopping- US strategy to get to Japan OI- Japan Dies Hard 37) Describe the devastation with numbers of US firebombing on Tokyo in March 1945? 250,000 Japanese civilians killed 38) What was the importance of Leyte Gulf? Japanese Navy destroyed, US takes back Philippines (Japan still not surrendering)
39) What is a Kamikaze? Japanese suicide pilots (blew up US ships w. their planes) Bushido- code of honor (Japanese believe in death before surrender, surrender is cowardly and reflects on family forever) How is the US going to defeat an enemy that does not believe in surrender?
ID- Hiroshima, Japan (845) Summary 14- What caused this devastation? How many were killed? Atomic Bomb, 130,000 OI- The Atomic Bomb 40) Who convinced FDR to build the Atomic Bomb? WHY? Albert Einstein (because Hitler was building an A-Bomb) How would the war have been different if Hitler had developed the A-Bomb first? 41) What was the name of the project to build the A-Bomb? Manhattan Project (cost $2 billion on something no one knew would even work)
42) Where was the first Atomic Bomb dropped? How many died? Hiroshima (70k instant, 180,000 total- radiation) 43) Why did the US drop a second bomb on Nagasaki? Because Japan had still not surrendered Should the US have dropped the Atomic Bomb? How about the Second Bomb? 44) When and what is VJ Day? Aug 15, 1945, Victory in Japan (surrender)
ID- VJ Day: Crowds Cheering at Times Square (847) Summary 15- Why is everyone celebrating? Because the war is over OI- Allies Triumphant 45) How many casualties did the US suffer? How much? Who suffered more? How much? 1 mil casualties (400k deaths) Soviets lost 20 mil. people
46) What advantage did the US have exiting the war? Nuclear bomb Largest army and military machine in world Industry and country left intact (un-bombed) 47) What was America’s ultimate advantage in winning the war? Industry (US could make more than anyone else and not have factories destroyed)