21. Year: 1764-1767 SUGAR, STAMP AND TOWNSHEND ACTS PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCEIntended to raise revenue to support troops in colonies through trade and direct taxes, and to exert control over coloniesCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONUnited colonists in resisting taxation without representation through protests, public demonstrations, resolutions and boycotts of British goods.
32. Year: 1770 BOSTON MASSACRE PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCE Colonial protest escalated into deadly confrontation with British troopsCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONBecame symbol of British tyranny, increasing colonial resistance
43. Year: 1773 BOSTON TEA PARTY PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCE Patriots destroyed British tea in protest of the Tea ActCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONBritain responded with Coercive Acts to punish Boston
54. Year: 1774 FIRST CONTINENTAL CONGRESS PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCE Issued Declaration of Rights and Grievances condemning Coercive Acts; approved Continental Association to enforce boycottsCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONInfuriated British officials and Loyalists who supported the king
65. Year: 1775 BATTLES AT LEXINGTON AND CONCORD PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCE British troops intended to seize militia supplies in MassachusettsCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONMinutemen resisted British troops with force; united militia forces against Britain
76. Year: 1775 SECOND CONTINENTAL CONGRESS PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCE Formed Continental Army with George Washington as commander in chief; assumed role of central governmentCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONKing George issued Proclamation for Suppressing Rebellion and Sedition, effectively declaring war against the colonies
87. Year: 1776 DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCE Continental Congress declared independenceCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONBritish troops increased to 32,000 under General William Howe
98. Year: 1777 BATTLE OF SARATOGA PURPOSE/SIGNIFICANCE Resounding American Victory proved turning point in the warCOLONIAL AND/OR BRITISH REACTIONImproved American morale; France committed troops to American cause