Presentation on theme: "Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile 2004 1 Stato di CMS MAGNETE ECAL TRACCIATORE INSTALLAZIONE RIVELATORE PER MUONI (DT-RPC) (Fabrizio-Pino) COMPUTING."— Presentation transcript:
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Stato di CMS MAGNETE ECAL TRACCIATORE INSTALLAZIONE RIVELATORE PER MUONI (DT-RPC) (Fabrizio-Pino) COMPUTING (Paolo)
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile CB+1: 1 month to completion CB+2 CB0: after winding Produzione delle bobine Modulo CB-2 (100%); CB-1 (98%); CB0 82%; CB+1 (49%); CB+2 (26%)
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Trasporto di CB-2
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Esercizi di installazione al CERN
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile CB % CB-1 98 % CB0 82 % CB+1 49 % CB+2 26 % Frazione Completata 72 % Non ci sono stati ulteriori problemi. La produzione prosegue per ora in maniera regolare. Rispettati i tempi previsti negli ultimi tre mesi. Stato della produzione
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Magnet schedule Delivery of last module at CERN -> 30 Sept 2004 Completing cold mass : thermal shields, superinsulation, suspension rods, closing vacuum tank = 8 months -> 30 May 2005 Swivelling operations -> March 2005 Cool magnet : 1,5 months -> 15 July 2005 Magnet test : 2,5 months -> 30 Sept 2005 Field mapping: 1 month -> 30 Oct 2005 Starting lowering of Magnet -> November 2005 HF can start slightly before
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile ECAL - Produzione Cristalli Serissimi NUOVI problemi nella produzione di cristalli (SCHEDULA DI CONSEGNA E COSTI). Fabbrica ferma da due mesi per gravissimi problemi finanziari. Nessun cristallo consegnato negli ultimi due mesi. Richiesti altri 13M$ PER COMPLETARE IL SOLO BARREL ( cristalli consegnati fino ad ora; ne restano da consegnare per completare il barrel e ne occorrono altri per gli End-Cap) Situazione instabile a livello amministrativo e politico in Russia (cambio di ministri). CMS da solo non e’ in grado di risolvere la situazione: richiesto l’aiuto del CERN e delle agenzie finanziatrici.
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile DG statement to MB The DG recognizes that ECAL (including the End- Caps), is a fundamental component of CMS and must be constructed in time for the first physics run. The first priority must be considered the schedule of a successful completion of the experiment.
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile ECAL in MB I The MB endorses the following strategy - Pursue vigorously the establishment of additional sources of supply and take all possible measures to maximize their capacity. - Take all necessary steps to obtain additional guarantees through political pressure and financial incentives for the fulfillment of the remaining production - Seek ways to minimize the cost of the remaining crystals production while maintaining the schedule. - Explore how the Russian Federation can contribute to crystals production by making an in-kind contribution. - Enter into an interim period that is 6 months long. During this period, agree to a compromise price, restart & produce 6000 crystals. Use the interim period to carry out the above and search for sufficient resources to complete the crystal calorimeter. Prepare an overall plan that can be presented to the Oct 2004 RRB.
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Cristalli cinesi: SIC (Shanghai Institute of Ceramics) 50 Endcap size crystals received in January Results are very encouraging. Strong improvement compared to 2001 Specifications fulfilled (except dimensions, which are easy to solve) Light yield larger than BCTP by 30% More tests are going on (CERN, Caltech, ETHZ, IC) on radiation hardness Further irradiations Study of uniformity after irradiation Detailed emission spectra Measurement of R (signal/monitoring) Aim to finish these tests by end of March May need a test in beam (June?) In parallel, discussions with SIC on technical aspects ( like cutting), production capacity, price,… 200 more crystals already ordered
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile ECAL in MB II The MB gives the following guidance to the ECAL project. Follow the clear priority of ensuring the delivery of first the Barrel, then the Endcaps and finally the Preshower. The aim is to deliver a complete crystal ECAL. The plan should clearly demonstrate enough contingency to deliver at least a complete working barrel in time to close CMS in April This will require procurement of all barrel crystals by Q and of the endcap crystals by Q Until the situation of barrel crystals production is clarified, new commitments on EE/ES should only be made on a case-by-case basis.
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Trigger GOH CCU FENIXes FE board LVR board Readout GOH 5 VFE Boards (MGPA +AD Buffer) Elettronica di read-out 25 channels ECAL Trigger Tower QPLL
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Elettronica di read-out All engineering runs of ASICs have been submitted, wafers received for 3 (out of 4) and sent for packaging AD41240: new version tested and reaching specification performance MGPA FENIX CRTALL (BUFFER,QPLL, CRT4T,LVDSMUX, DCU, LVDSBUF) The Buffer is the critical path for tests this year A new version of the VFE board to validate the final layout of the board for noise performance has been successfully tested last week on SM1 in Bg 867 Tender for VFE boards launched last week Prototypes of Off-detector electronics (Data, Control) available: System Review planned for May 5 th
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Electronics planning 04
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Test beam 2003 TDR performance (<50MeV noise/channel) reached last year with 50 channels MGPA. Plan is to have a full SuperModule (1700 channels) in beam by the end of September. We need to study in depth several Supermodules (sent a memo to SPS coord. Asking for 12weeks of beam between Apr and Oct 06 )
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Tracciatore: costruzione TIB ( sensori HPK)
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Costruzione dei moduli 815: hybrids delivered 694: modules assembled 582: module tested 39: modules faulty
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile To understand influence of sensor quality on module quality sensor grading was introduced: Grade AAtotal current < 1.5 µA (no kink in IV!) Grade Atotal current < 1.5 µA Grade BTotal current > 1.5 µA Sensori ST: classificazione dei sensori
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile AAA B (different scale) Example of grading (W7B sensors) 1.5 m Kink in IV curve
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile modules produced and tested in the US (101 modules longtime tested for 8-12 hours with thermal cycles) 136 modules inside specifications 11 modules show CMN problem (1 after thermal cycling) 3 modules fail for other reasons (openings in aluminum, -20 C operation) In addition - in a special run - 8 modules were built using 9 sensors with I > 1.5 A to test the correlation between I and the common mode noise Quality of new production modules
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Module 5081 Sensors Channels 20 at 300 V
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile CMN modules and sensor grading Sensor Total Grade#CMN%# %# % # % GRADE A %4125.0%1200.0% % GRADE A4224.8%1119.1%1616.3% % GRADE B % %100.0% 33515% Total9666.2%25416%2913.4% % 150 modules built: 7% (11) show CMN noise problem Grade B sensors develop in 15% CMN Grade AA and A develop in about 5% CMN
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile On a certain fraction of sensors the leakage current is varying. The reasons are: mishandling mechanical deformations sensitivity to humidity degradation of the leakage current with time? A correlation of this current variations with failures on modules exists. With the latest sensors used in this present production and the sensor grading AA and A the rate of modules developing a CMN problem is about 5%. No test has been found for the moment to further decrease this fraction. ST conclusions
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Actions An amendment of the contract with ST has been signed to reduce the scope of the contract from to sensors A contract for 7000 sensors is being placed with Hamamatsu (Finance Committee ) A production of 1000 sensors – representative of the 2004 production – will be done by ST and will be fully tested by CMS Formal decision on the acceptance of the sensors (if fully compliant with the Technical Specifications) will be given before continuing with ST sensor production
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Schedule for Thick Sensors
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Schedule v34 Revise planning to maintain a coherent picture in the face of several simultaneous unwelcome developments which adversely affect the assembly & commissioning schedule. Delays to the immediate (surface) critical path: Coil Yoke services DT/RB installation Delays to the underground critical path(s) Civil Engineering ECAL Tracker Most of the short-term delays can be hidden in the shadow of the Civil Engineering delay. (~3 months). Accepting this forces the contingency of omitting both EE/SE endcaps from the April 2007 configuration.
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile v34.0 Schedule wrt v33.3 US and UX area delivered to CMS May 04, Oct 04+2, +3 mo Magnet test on surface Aug mo “Ready for crates in USC”Jul mo Start Lowering CMS Dec mo ECAL barrel EB+ installation Dec mo ECAL: last EB- installation & cabling Nov mo Tracker installation + cabling startAug mo Beam-pipe InstallationJan mo Det/Trig/DAQ Integration and CommissioningOct 06-Apr t = mo CMS ‘Working Detector’ ready to close for beamApr 07 CMS closed for beam :assumed date mid May 07 * After Shutdown Pixel TrackerJul 07 (Nov 07) EE/SE installation May 07 (Nov 07) ‘ready for installation’ milestones to be set 3 mo ahead of installation start date * +0.0 mo from previously unscheduled pre-beam machine ‘shakedown’, perhaps more?
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Input last EB + supermodule crystals at CERN : 28 Feb 05 ? ready for installation: 31 Aug 05 start installation : 01 Dec 05 last EB- supermodule crystals at CERN : 30 Apr 06? ready for installation : 30 Sep 06 start installation : 01 Nov 06 EE + 2’nd dee crystals at CERN : 31 Aug 06? ready for installation: 30 Apr 07 start installation : 15 Oct 07 (1 May 07) EE – 2’nd dee crystals at CERN : 31 Dec 06? ready for installation : 31 Aug 07 start installation : 15 Nov 07 request for test beam in 2006(or 2005?) and 2007 made to SPS coord -revisions from Yoke services, Muon barrel & endcap, HCAL, Civ Eng, Tracker. -assumptions for ECAL:
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Changes to schedule: yoke wheels (DT/RB) take account of revised start dates for installation of DT/RB packages: lower part YB+2 May 04 remainder YB+2 Sep 04 (RPC availability for changed sequence) YB+1 Nov 04 YB 0 Mar 05 (DT HV review early April) YB-1 May 05 & Dec 05 YB-2 Jul 05 & Dec 05 parallel or extended shift working may be needed 9000 new boards to re-manufacture ~5000 to replace in completed chambers use earlier improved board in YB+2 only revised installation sequence RPC manufacturing sequence changed
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile v34.0 comments completion of the + end before lowering remains a highest priority exploit working on + end in UX (critical path) and part of –end in SX allow for late arrival of EB- in several batches, with last few SM’s installed after the Tracker is already in place, with EB & Tracker cabling finalised apart from the missing sectors. (exploit EB maintenance scenario) allow for pre-cabling the Tracker to PP1 and a dummy TEC end-plate. (removal of this and insertion & cabling of the real Tracker is equivalent to a Tracker removed maintenance operation) critical path timespan for beampipe installation & bake-out to be checked optimise configuration to continue work after 1 April during machine check.
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile TOTEM-CMS Outcome of a meeting last week (Karsten Eggert + CMS management) TOTEM has separate runs for tot TOTEM will run as a CMS sub-detector for lumi calibration and diffractive physics. TOTEM prefers a GEM design for T2, but, recognising CMS preference for silicon design, will endeavour to prove by end 04 that the GEM design will perform up to An agreement on joint operations is needed, along the lines of that proposed by CMS, but without encouraging groups to join CMS to build T2 TOTEM wishes to remain a separate collaboration, but eventual closer integration of TOTEM and CMS can be discussed later. pre-meeting Mon 22 Mar, meeting with LHCC referees Tues 23 Mar 08:30
Guido_Tonelli / Gruppo 1/ Roma/5-6 Aprile Conclusioni Il mare è in tempesta, il fasciame scricchiola e le vele sembrano strapparsi ad ogni raffica ma potrebbe andare ancora peggio……. potremmo incappare in qualche iceberg! NON CI SIAMO ANCORA ADDOSSO MA CI STA VENENDO INCONTRO