Presentation on theme: "1) What was Lend-Lease? An aid programme that provided supplies to any country whose defences were judged to be vital for the USA. These would be paid."— Presentation transcript:
1) What was Lend-Lease? An aid programme that provided supplies to any country whose defences were judged to be vital for the USA. These would be paid for later on.
2) What was the name of the conference attended by Stalin, Roosevelt & Churchill in February 1945? THE YALTA CONFERENCE
3) What 2 things were agreed at this conference? (2) Plans for occupation of Germany Set up a “United Nations”.
4) What could the alliance not fully agree on? Poland!
5) What did Roosevelt persuade Stalin & Churchill to agree to? Committing to carrying out emergency measures to assist liberated states in setting up democratically elected governments.
6) Why is this important? Key text “upon which all future accusations of Soviet betrayal and bad faith were made”. (Martin Walker)
7) Who became American President between the two conferences, and why was this significant? Harry S. Truman Took a much tougher line towards the USSR
8) What was his first major act? Ending the Lend-Lease programme
9) What was the name of the second major conference? The Potsdam Conference
10) What decision prevented the ACC (Allied Control Council) from having any real power in Germany? Each commander had full control of their own zone
11) What was a major talking point at this conference? REPARATIONS (Soviet wanted lots, and were stripping their zone already, whilst US & GB were worried about the German economy).
12) Why was the conference delayed? Why is this significant? (3) US development of the atomic bomb -Meant they could fight Japan alone -Hoped to scare USSR with their technology
13) What was significant about the ‘formation’ of the SED? Forced amalgamation by Stalin of SPD & KPD, which was embarrassed a month later when a referendum opposed the union. Made the West suspicious of Soviet manipulation.
14) What was Bizonia? An economic alliance between the British & US zones of Germany.
15) What did the Foreign Ministers disagree over at the Moscow Conference, and why? Formation of a new central German administration Because Soviets wanted to destroy ‘Bizonia’, whilst the West feared a slow in the economic recovery experienced in the West of Germany.
16) Why didn’t they reach an agreement? Cleverly worded plan by Britain that the USSR were not able to accept (they’d have to sacrifice reparation payments & raw materials from the East)
17) What 5 things led to the breakdown of initial Allied co-operation? (5) 1.Climate of fear in Soviet zone 2.Amalgamation of SPD & KPD to create SED 3.Disagreements over reparations 4.Bizonia 5.Breakdown at Moscow Conference