The upper city is a medieval town surrounded by ramparts built when it was ruled by the Venice republic, added to the existing fortifications to make it an impregnable fortress. The historical center, surrounded by walls, has kept its original medieval appearance.
DEFENSIVE SYSTEM The defensive system of the city, dating from the fifteenth-century, of walls and towers protected the villages and also functioned as border customs houses and moats.
THE GOMBITO TOWER The Gombito tower controlled access to the Old Town Square from the valleys.
PALAZZO DELLA RAGIONE The building, originally called Old Palace, is located in the Upper Town, in the area enclosed within the Venetian walls.
OLD TOWN SQUARE The Old Town Square was for centuries the political center of the city.
CATHEDRAL The Cathedral of St. Alexander is the main place of Catholic worship.
It is located in the upper city, in the Cathedral square, next to the Palace Of Reason and the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore.
THE FUNICOLAR The funicular railway is one of two in Bergamo. Built in 1887, it connects the Upper Town to the Lower modern town.
IL SENTIERONE It is a tree lined avenue built by Bergamo's merchants in 1620. Under its beatiful arcades trading was carried out. Nowadays it is an elegant bustling promenade.
CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DELLE GRAZIE The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie has annexed the former convent founded in 1422 by the Franciscan minor. The church as we see it today is the result of a restructuring of the nineteenth century.
THE LOWER TOWN The Lower Town born by the development of some villages located along the main roads that led down from the hills to the floor. In the twentieth century was created the area that is now the center of the city, in which are realized by the institutional headquarters.
NEW DOOR In the main street that connects Bergamo's lower and the upper city, meet the two propylaea of new door, a monumental gate, made in 1937 in the neoclassical style.