Presentation on theme: "Commonwealth IT Consolidation EOE Town Hall Meeting Sharon Wright April 2010."— Presentation transcript:
Commonwealth IT Consolidation EOE Town Hall Meeting Sharon Wright April 2010
- 1 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Agenda Welcome IT Consolidation Project Update Picture of the Current and Future IT Workforce Transition Plans EOE Consolidation Changes Closing Remarks from Secretary Reville Q & A
- 2 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY IT Consolidation Project Update
- 3 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY The Commonwealth’s approach to managing IT is unsustainable. Current State Our IT environment is too complex, too difficult to maintain, and increasingly challenging to secure. Our IT Environment 15 Major Data Networks 400 Job Titles for 2,003 Total Staff 24 Email Systems 183 Data Centers 57 Desktop and LAN Organizations 48 Helpdesks 200 Phone Systems
- 4 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Benefits Consolidation will result in smarter investments, improved services, and enhanced security. Consolidation is driving towards three strategic benefits. Efficiency Effectiveness Information Security Reduced and optimized IT spend per unit Elimination of duplicate IT systems Improved purchasing power by combining procurements Improved data protection Fewer IT systems hosted at insecure locations Improved monitoring, detection, alerting, and response capabilities Improved ability to align our IT resources with high-level priorities of Secretaries Improved datasharing capabilities Improved reliability of IT services Industry-standard delivery of IT services
- 5 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Program Structure Consolidation not only impacts three technology service areas but also requires reinvention of four administrative areas as well. Key Benefits Efficiency Effectiveness Information Security Secretariat IT Services Commonwealth IT Infrastructure Service Commonwealth Service Excellence Helpdesk Services Desktop and LAN Services Website Information Architecture Services Applications (as specified by SCIOs) Data and Telecommunications Network Services Data Center Services Web Hosting and Portal Services Email and Directory Services Service Catalog Chargeback Rates Service Levels ITIL-based Service Management Processes IT Governance: Planning, Budgeting, Service Levels, Performance Management Related Administrative Processes: Procurement, Financial Management, Facilities, Legal IT Organizational Development: Career Paths, Training, Apprenticeships/Mentorships Communications Management: Town Halls, Wiki Updates, Newsletters, Performance Reporting
- 6 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Progress to Date Significant progress has been made across all Secretariats.
- 7 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY The Big Picture Efficiencies from IT consolidation enable key reinvestments in a stronger and more agile IT workforce, robust infrastructure and reliable services. The result is government services that are more efficient, open, and responsive to the public. Current IT EnvironmentFuture IT Environment 183 Data centers 2 Data centers 15 Networks 1 Network 23 Email systems 1 Email system 54 Helpdesks/desktop groups 8 Helpdesks
- 8 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Vision for the Workforce Vision for the IT workforce is one which supports: CommunityCollaboration Customer Focus
- 9 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Commonwealth IT Learning Program: Overview To support the Commonwealth’s goals for IT learning, we are planning a robust, long-term approach for the Commonwealth IT Learning Program: Training Technical Business Leadership in IT Customer service for IT Mentoring Job shadowing / On-the-job training Mentoring Coaching Knowledge Sharing Brown bag speaker series IT community forums Knowledge-sharing online platform LearnIT! Commonwealth IT Learning Program Upcoming Courses: Project Management.NET Quality Assurance Career Development Career paths by job function
- 10 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Commonwealth IT Learning Program: IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Training As part of the Commonwealth IT Learning Program all professionals have had the opportunity to receive ITIL awareness training. A comprehensive framework of processes and best practices for IT Service Management. Provides a common vocabulary, efficient communication Details a set of principles and processes Provides roles and responsibilities, increasing accountability Measures internal performance Improves the relationship of IT with the business Improves the ability of IT to adjust as needs change What is ITIL? Benefits of ITIL What if I missed the first EOE session? Recordings are available on the IT Consolidation wiki page for those who missed the first session.
- 11 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY What’s In It For Me? As a result of IT Consolidation of data centers at ITD, IT staff will have opportunities to: Learn IT industry best practices Develop deeper expertise in specific technologies Pursue a defined career path Collaborate with peers across the Commonwealth Work with state of the art technologies Though change will be challenging, moving to the future workforce vision will result in real benefits to staff.
- 12 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Picture of the Current and Future IT Workforce
- 13 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Picture of the Current IT Workforce IT Consolidation has resulted in a better understanding of the Commonwealth’s IT workforce. Workers fall into one of three categories: State Employees (FTEs) Project Based Contractors — work on a specific project with a defined time frame Non-Project Based Contractors — work in IT but not on defined projects, e.g. staff augmentation Staffing estimates as of January 20, 2010 EOE IT workforce is ~4% of the Commonwealth’s IT Workforce Commonwealth IT Workforce 2,003 Total IT Staff EOE IT Workforce 79 Total IT Staff
- 14 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Picture of the Future IT Workforce This future vision of the workforce will be achieved through: 1. Contractor conversions 2. Attrition 3. Retraining/redeployment of FTEs We can manage our consolidated infrastructure with fewer people but will do this by increasing the number of FTEs and decreasing our reliance on contractors. Commonwealth IT WorkforceEOE IT Workforce
- 15 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Transition Plans
- 16 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY The Enhanced EOE Organization Changes to the organization will provide career opportunities for staff, streamline service delivery, and enhance management of IT assets. Paul Reville Secretary of EOE Anne Margulies Commonwealth Chief Information Officer Sharon Wright Secretariat Chief Information Officer Tom Weber Chief of Staff Chief Information Security Officer Agency Service Delivery IT Operations -Call center -Desktop/LAN Engineering & Data Center Management Project Management Office Shared Services
- 17 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Leading the Effort: The New EOE IT Leadership Team Organizational changes will be launched under the guidance of the newly formed EOE IT Leadership Team. Using a shared framework, these agency CIOs and their senior management teams will collaborate to flesh out details of the new organization. Sharon Wright Secretariat Chief Information Officer Jonathan Keller (DHE) Agency Chief Information Officer Jessica Perez–Rossello (ESE) Agency Chief Information Officer Pam Soukamneuth (CTF) Agency Chief Information Officer Anthony Delorenzo, CFO (ESE) Rachel Trant, Assistant Budget Director (ESE) Finance Valian Norris, HR Director (ESE) Human Resources Joan Clark (EEC) Agency Chief Information Officer
- 18 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Estimated Timelines for IT Consolidation Activities TypeQ3Q4Q1Q2 Q3Q3 Q4Q1Q2Q3Q4Q1Q2Q3Q4Q1Q2Q3Q4 Secretariat Organization Helpdesk Desktop/LAN Web IA Applications Data Center Web Networks Email FY’10 FY’11 FY’12 FY’13 FY’14 Consolidation of EOE’s DCs within EOE at end of Wave 3 Secretariat Services Infrastructure Services Expand EOE Portal Plan for network integration Plan for email integration Springfield Data Center Operational Assemble Executive & Senior Management Teams Planning & implementation Move to shared apps as appropriate within EOE Move DHE to Malden DC Ongoing transition to new org & roles Administrative & Organizational Development
- 19 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Closing Remarks from Secretary Reville
- 20 - DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY Questions?