Presentation on theme: "New Bethel MBC Pastor Toby T. Philpart. 1. The Bible will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from the Bible. 2. The Bible is the most sold book. 3."— Presentation transcript:
1. The Bible will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from the Bible. 2. The Bible is the most sold book. 3. The Bible is the most neglected book.
A. daily or more often b. weekly or more c. once a month or more d. less than once a month e. rarely or never f. I really can’t say
WHY? 1. We have to work and work is not the place? 2. The Bible is relevant; so we think? 3. It’s confusing, and I don’t know the technique? 4. I’m no expert? 5. No time nor energy? 6. Is it even reliable, authoritative, credible and trustworthy? 7. I can’t make it interesting?
1 Peter 2:2 (we spiritually grow) 1. Our Attitude (New Born Baby) 2. Our Appetite (Long For) Ps. 19:10 3. Aim (We might grow not know ) How long have I been a Christian? How much have I spiritually grown?
1 Peter 2:2 (we spiritually grow) Hebrews 5:11-14 Believers are suffering with a spiritual learning disability We have been bad stewards of TIME as it relates to our Bible Learning Maturity comes as a result of TRAINING
1 Peter 2:2 (we spiritually grow) Hebrews 5:11-14 (essential to growth) 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (It is how we hear from God) All Scripture Is Profitable (doctrine/teaching) (rebuke/keeps me inbounds) (correction/cleanses) (training in righteous living) That We May Be Equipped for Every GOOD Work
1. It is a Unit It is 66 books collected in one. 66 separate documents written over a period of over 1600 years, by more than 40 human authors, yet they all center around the theme of God and His relationship to humankind. Every book, paragraph and verse works together.
The Bible is God’s Revelation – it is only through reading and understanding of the Bible we know what God wants us to know.
The Bible is Inspired by God Inspired (1 Timothy 3:16-17) means God BREATHED 2 Peter 1:21 – “men moved by the Holy Spirit ”
The Bible is Inerrant (without errors) No mistakes Stood the test of science Some writings are figurative Matthew 4:1-11 and Matthew 5:17-18 Jesus referred to scripture (Mt. 8:4;10:15;12:17, 40; 19:3-5; and 24:38-39)
1. I must have a strategy 2. I must have a method 3. I can not be lazy 4. I must have an openness to God 5. It will change your life (Romans 8:29)
1. Set Goals 2. Adjust Expectations 3. Choose a Study Bible
1. Observation (What do I see?) 2. Interpretation (What does it mean?) 3. Application (How does it work?)
Lets take a look at Psalm 119:18 The writer is asking the Spirit of God to tear the bandages from his eyes that he might see with sight and insight into the truth that God had revealed.
“The Lord reigns, He is clothed with majesty; the Lord has clothed and girded Himself with strength; indeed, the world is firmly established, it will not be moved.”
1. Author – Unknown 2. Addressee – The People of God (Israel) 3. God is King, with omnipotent power and sovereign control over the world. See “God reign: Divine Sovereignty” 4. God presently has power or influence 5. Reign (time in power, period in office, period of influence, supremacy, control or sway) girded (prepared for conflict, He has secured Himself) world established (evil will not overwhelm) 6. He reigns throughout the world 7. The Israelites have fought wars, gone through bondage, etc. 8. The world cannot be moved in which he has established as a result of his preparation 9. God reigns in my life, evil will not overwhelm me, because I know that God got my back. 10. I want to look at this established world then and in the future.