Presentation on theme: "SG #2 Students will review –Causes of the Revolutionary War –1) Describe 2 ways that the French/Indian War changed the relationship between the Colonies."— Presentation transcript:
SG #2 Students will review –Causes of the Revolutionary War –1) Describe 2 ways that the French/Indian War changed the relationship between the Colonies and England. –2) Identify, define 3 Acts by England that pushed American colonists to seek independence. –3) Analyze why Americans started to distrust England and provide two examples of American protests against England.
1) Identify and define the two types of revolution. –Anti-imperialist ( independence, self-determination) –Social (democratization, new ideas) Was the American Revolution one or both? 2) What was the cause of the French/Indian War? –Ohio Valley (Americans wanted to move west, Fr. Was in the way) 3) Identify the cause and importance of the Albany Congress? –Cause- keep Iroquois Indians loyal to Colonies/Britain –Albany Plan (self rule of colonies first talked about) Why is the Albany so important?Did the colonies see themselves as Americans? –1st time colonies talked about uniting
4) Identify 2 results of the Fr/Ind. War. (Treaty of Paris) –France out of N/Am. (Britain receives all Fr. Land east of Miss. and Florida) –Spain (all land west of Miss R.) 5) Identify three problems inherited by England after the French/Indian War. –New land needs to be governed –Money needs to be raised to defend colonies from Spain/Indians –Pontiac’s Rebellion (Indians attack American settlers, upset Fr. Lost) How will the British raise the needed money to run the colonies? Why will Americans have such a hard time with this plan? –Property/money= Liberty (taxing is seen as a way for Gov. to take away people’s freedom)
6) Define Salutary Neglect (and another name is?) –Benign Neglect (colonies allowed to run and govern themselves for 150 years (1607-1763) 7) Define mercantilism –Colonies exist to make England rich (colonies can only trade w. England) *America is England’s largest customer, Eng. Is England’s largest buyer (both sides are making money) –How does mercantilism hold back the colonies? 8) What two events occurred in England in 1763 that changed the relationship between the U.S and England? –PM George Greenville- expected the colonies to support England’s debt (meant more control of colonies by England) –Salutary Neglect was abandoned
9) Define Proclamation of 1763 –Proclamation of 1763 (colonists could not move west of imaginary line) Why would Americans be so incensed by this law? –Americans fought a war to move into Ohio Valley –End of Benign Neglect (Eng. Telling colonists where they can and can’t move to) 10) Briefly explain the causes and impact of Bacon’s Rebellion –Poor settlers (ex-Indentured Servants) wanted protection from Indians (Gov. Berkeley refused) Indentured Servants- traded passage to colonies in exchange for 5 years of work (white slaves) –Impact-colonists felt Gov. favored the rich over poor Creates a need for a less troublesome labor source (slaves)
11) Briefly identify and explain the impact of the Stamp Act –Tax on all printed goods to help Eng. Pay back debt from Fr/Ind. War –1st tax where $ went to England, not colonists NO TAXATION W/OUT REPRESENTATION (What does this mean?) –United colonists against England (boycotts) 12) Define the Declaratory Act –Replaced Stamp Act (stated Eng. Could make any law what so ever) 13) Define the Townsend Act –Tax on finished goods (sales tax) 14) How did the colonists respond to acts by the British designed to raise revenue and increase their power? –Boycotts (refusing to buy English goods) How were boycotts meant to hurt Eng?
15) Briefly explain he cause and impact of the Boston Massacre. –Eng. Soldiers took second jobs for less pay than colonists in Boston –Upset colonists and moved colonies towards independence 16) Why were Americans upset over the Tea Tax –Trick to get Americans to give up “No taxation w/out representation” 17) What was England’s response to the BTP and identify two parts of the act? –Intolerable Acts Boston Port Bill- Closed Boston Harbor Mass. Government Act- ended Mass charter (no self government in MA) Quartering Act- Eng. Troops could be housed in colonists homes) –How do Americans start to view the English government?
18) Identify the Quebec Act and why it upset Americans. –Extended Quebec (catholic, no democracy) into Ohio Valley –Colonists fought a war to move to Ohio Valley (and could not move west of Proclamation Line) 1 st Continental Congress- 1 st time all colonies meet together (discuss how to support MA. And end the Intolerable acts) –Why should other colonies care about a law that only effects MA 19) Identify the three groups at the 1st Continental Congress and the goals of each group. –Radicals (John Adams) want independence –Moderates (George Washington) repair relationship b/t Eng. And Colonies –Conservatives (John Jay) return to benign neglect
20) Identify two actions the 1st CC decided to take in adopting the “Declaration and Resolves.” –Intolerable Acts need to end (open Boston Harbor) –Militia- colonists arm themselves –Boycott- of Br. Goods What is the Resolves (1 st CC) not asking for? –Independence (Americans are not ready to fight and break away)
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.