71. People do extreme sports in order to feel ____. A. excited B. nervous C. happyA2. Extreme sports have become popular in the last _____.A. 5 years B. 10 years C. 20 yearsB
83. People usually bungee jump from __. A. airplanesB. high buildingsC. bridgesC4. In sky surfing people do mid-air ___.A. gymnasticsB. dancingC. swimmingA
95. Snowboarding has similarities with ______.A. skiing B. surfing C. canoeingB6. Snowrafting is ________.A. quite dangerousB. very dangerousC. not very dangerousB
107. For white-water rafting you need __. A. a big riverB. a warm riverC. a mountain riverC8. Ice divers ___.A. swim under the iceB. walk on the bottom of lakesC. walk upside down under the iceC
11Listen to two people talking about extreme sports. Complete the table. CarolJonathanlikesdoesn’t liketenniswould liketo trywouldn’t like to tryBungee jumpingbungeejumpingskiing/snowboardingsailingsky surfingice divingsnowrafting
12Listen and fill in the blank. 1. I get _______ you know. But when I’m jumping I feel great. It’s like ___________.2. I’d love to try sky surfing, but it’s _____________, you know.nervousbeing a birdvery expensive
133. I also don’t like _________. I hate _________________. Like tennis 3. I also don’t like _________. I hate _________________. Like tennis. Personally, I’d prefer to ___________.4. I _____ winter sports. There’s something about snow. I love ___________.dull sportsdoing boring sportsstay at homeprefergoing skiing
145. I love sports where there’s speed. I can’t _______________. 6. I’d quite like to go ice diving-_____________!7.I can’t stand heights. I’d hate to do ______________. It look _________ _________.stand slow sportsit sounds crazybungee jumpingabsolutelyterrifying
15Listen again. Complete the Function File with the following words. quite like, ’d love, can’t stand, love, like, wouldn’t like, ’d quite like, prefer, hate, ’d prefer
16Preferences +ing/noun +to+infinitive 1. I ____ bungee jumping.2. I ______ to try sky surfing.3. I ____________ to do snowrafting.4. I ____ doing boring sports.5. I ________ to stay at home.like’d lovewouldn’t likehate’d prefer
176. I ______ winter sports.7. I ____ going skiing.8. I _________ snowboarding.9. I __________ slow sports.10. I ___________ to go ice diving.preferlovequite likecan’t stand’d quite like
18Complete the sentences in the correct form. turn up, be into, take up, back out, go through with,put on, set up, get across1. Ann waited for Tom for ages but he didn’t _______.turn up
192. What kind of music ___ you ____? 3. A friend of mine ___ just ________ jogging in order to get fit.4. Why don’t we ______our computer in the study?5. They were going to have a party last Saturday but __________ at the last minute.areintohastaken upset upbacked out
20Listen to the questions below Listen to the questions below. In which of them does the intonation go up at the end?1. What sports do you like doing?2. Do you like watching sport on TV?3. Have you ever turned up latefor a match?
214. If your school asked you to be in a team, would you try to back out? 5. Do you think you’ll ever take up a dangerous sport?6. What extreme sports would like to try?7. What extreme sports couldn’t you go through with?
23Do you find out the “rule” about intonation in questions? The falling intonation is used in question-word questions, i.e. beginning with ‘wh-’The rising intonation is used in questions that can be answered by ‘yes/no’
24Comparing CulturesListen to a person talking about sports in the USA and Britain and answer these questions
251. What do American footballs have to wear? Why? They have to wear helmets and special protective clothes because it is a very physical game and they could get hurt.
262. How many baseball leagues are there in the USA? Two.3. Are basketball players well paid?Yes.4. Is football (score) very popular in the USA?No.
275. What is the most popular winter sport in Britain? Football.6. Name another winter sport played in Britain.Rugby.7. How long can a game of cricket be?Five days.