Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

The Importance of Financial Literacy in the Real World Young and In Debt.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "The Importance of Financial Literacy in the Real World Young and In Debt."— Presentation transcript:

1 The Importance of Financial Literacy in the Real World Young and In Debt

2 Debt is rising for the young

3 Young & In Debt: Six financial challenges 1)Struggling with debt 2) Paying off student debt 3) Saving money 4) Cutting credit card debt 5) Improving credit score 6) Getting health insurance

4 Mindy Fetterman, Personal Finance Reporter

5 Value of USA TODAY Exclusive features & investigative reports Clear & concise style High-interest Color photos Students will: Reflect on their own spending habits Study the financial successes and failures of their peers Learn the importance of managing money and debt Become aware of the globalized economy Explore business news/stock market Young & In Debt: For Students:

6 Lessons

7

8 How do you budget your money?

9 The Power of “Written” Goals Harvard Study MBA graduating class interviews determined that: Beliefs vs. action 70% believed goals were important to success. 10% had goals. 3% had a “written” plan to achieve goals. Source: Dr. David McCellan, Harvard Business School Results 30 years later, in 1983, the 3% that had “written” plans to achieve goals had more income and net worth than the other 97% combined. 2 years later, in 1985, MIT found that the 3% with a “written” plan had four times the net worth of the other 97% combined.

10 Encourages sustained reading and higher-order thinking Weekly cross curricular activity. Content-specific student graphic organizer Features of Inside USA TODAY

11 News resources Lesson Plan archives Special interest Lessons by core subject Career education Event features Case Studies Project-based learning

12 Thank you


Download ppt "The Importance of Financial Literacy in the Real World Young and In Debt."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google