I can do all things through Christ Part 1 I can do it!
Our 4th Statement of faith: I can do all things through Christ. “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13 (KJV)
I… can… do… all things… through… Christ… which strengtheneth… me
I am powerful beyond words “I can do all things…” Phil 4:13a
If I will abide in Christ and receive His strength “…through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Phil 4:13b
What is the process whereby I move from powerlessness to power? Joshua 1
1. I experience some type of crisis. “After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' aide: Moses my servant is dead…” Joshua 1:1-2a
2. I prepare to cross the river of unbelief. Every person needs to make 2 crossings: A. The Red Sea – Bondage B. The Jordan River – Unbelief
“Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River...” V. 2
3. I hear a promise from the Lord It is something real, tangible
A. His promises are usually bigger than we could imagine “…get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them. I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses…
Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Great Sea on the west.” V.2b-4
B. His promises cover the problems we will encounter “No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life.” V. 5
C. His promises include His Presence “As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.” V. 5b
4. I receive directions of what to do: A. Be strong “Be strong…” V. 6
B. Be courageous “and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. Be strong and very courageous.” V. 7
C. Obey “Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.” V. 7b
D. Internalize “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.” V. 8-9a
5. I receive directions of what Not to do: A. Do not be terrified (afraid) “…Do not be terrified;” V. 9b
We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, but frankly we won’t if we’re too afraid to try.
How many of you have gotten through something shockingly well that you believed before hand that you could not bear?
B. Do not be discouraged. “…do not be discouraged…” V. 9b
synonym: demoralization “I believe demoralization can occur when Satan figures out who you and I fear most that we are and what we fear we cannot do, then he sets out to confirm it.” Beth Moore
6. I am reminded of why / how all of this is possible “…for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” V. 9c