Presentation on theme: "www.lcez.cn Unit 2 SEFC-BOOK II 济南历城二中高二英语组 江巨海 钟莉 王新玉."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 2 SEFC-BOOK II 济南历城二中高二英语组 江巨海 钟莉 王新玉
Unit 2 News media The Past Participle (1) Topic Functional items Structure Reading Writing News and the media Expressing opinions Behind the headlines A comparison paragraph (Used as Attribute and Predicative)
Language study Warming up Speaking Listening Reading
What does news media mean?What does news media mean? How do news media affect our daily life?How do news media affect our daily life? Tools which are used to spread( 传播 ) news. With news media we can know what happens home and abroad （国内外）.
The characters of different media TV a broadcast medium / be broadcast live / provide people with colorful moving pictures / have to own a TV set
The characters of different media Internet fast / varieties of information / have different opinions of the same subject / communicate with each other easily / have a computer which is linked to the Internet
a broadcast medium / be broadcast live / listen to it whenever you like with a portable radio /can ’ t have visible enjoyment Radio The characters of different media
magazine The characters of different media provide people with detailed information on a certain subject / focused on a topic /published weekly / monthly / news comes late
a medium for reading / report the latest news / can be kept for a long time / cheap to buy / can ’ t express one ’ s idea freely The characters of different media newspaper
Talk about news and the media magazine, newspaper, radio, TV, website, broadcast, editor, edit, editorials, facts, headline, interview, journalist, opinions, reliable, reporter, true objective, biased.
Describing people Give a suitable word for each of the descriptions to show what a person is like. You can choose from the below: independent,serious,determined,clever,selfless,hum orous. 1A person always helps those in trouble without seeking any repay. 2 A person always tells truth,never tells a lie. 3 A person is good at finding a way out.He\she can work out maths problems quickly and correctly. selfless honest clever
6 A person doesn’t like depending on others when doing something. 7 A person is not afraid of failure, but keeps on trying to gain success. independent determined 4 A person never tells a joke or smiles. 5 A person likes making people laugh and happy by doing funny things or by telling interesting stories serious humorous
Part 1Part 2Bothneither was fired Faced difficulties careful Talk too much funny nosy generous honest A nice person Very clever
Questions: 1 What kind of person is Jim Gray? 2 Why is he no longer working for the company?
Mr Keller: he was serious, too slow Paul, Wendy: he is caring, and hard- working, he took the time to do a job well and always had a kind word for his colleague.
You are the editors of a newspaper. Here is a list of ten things that happened today. You may only report five of them. Decide which events you are going to put in your newspaper and give reasons for you choices. Compare with those of your classmates.
200 people died in an earthquake in Turkey. France elected a new president. Two men robbed a bank in Shanghai. China beat Brazil 2-1 in football. Three children from your city were killed. 200 people died in an earthquake in Turkey. France elected a new president. Two men robbed a bank in Shanghai. China beat Brazil 2-1 in football. Three children from your city were killed.
Food prices are going up. A house in your city burnt down. Nobody was injured. 2000 people in your city moved into new building today and were happy. A Chinese scientist has invented a new engine that does not pollute the air. There is a rumour that a large company wants to build a factory in your city. Food prices are going up. A house in your city burnt down. Nobody was injured. 2000 people in your city moved into new building today and were happy. A Chinese scientist has invented a new engine that does not pollute the air. There is a rumour that a large company wants to build a factory in your city.
Leading in 1.Do you know how a newspaper is made? 2.What is a reporter in charge for? 3.What is an editor in charge for?
How is a newspaper made? The__________ editor hold a meetimg. Journalists people and write stories Photographers _____ photographs. Photos are quickly__________ Editors ________ the report. Editors write the________________. The newspapers are____________. The newspapers are _________ by train and truck. chief interview developed take checkheadlines printed. delivered.
The text below is about reporters and newspapers. Look at the title and the pictures. Try to guess which of the following questions the text will answer. _____ How does a reporter decide what to write? _____ How much does a newspaper cost? _____ Why do people read newspapers? _____ How do newspapers report what happens? _____ Where do people read newspapers? _____ How do newspapers help us understand the world? _____ How does a reporter decide what to write? _____ How much does a newspaper cost? _____ Why do people read newspapers? _____ How do newspapers report what happens? _____ Where do people read newspapers? _____ How do newspapers help us understand the world?
Scan the passage to match the following Decide what to write about Uses of news media General description of newspapers Journalists ’ favourite articles Topics they are interested in Para 1 Q 1 and answers Q 2 and answers Q 3 and answers last paragraph
Now please read the text carefully and try to find out the answers to the following questions. Careful reading
1.Do newspaper and other media simply record what happens? No, they don’t. 2. Who were asked to be interviewed to tell us more about news and newspaper? Chen ying and Zhu lin 3.Whom does a reporter have to discuss with before he/she decides what to write? The editor
4. What is the editor ‘s job? To keep the newspaper balanced and interesting to the readers. 5.Is interviewing someone difficult ? What must a reporter know? Yes. A reporter must know how to ask the right questions and how to get people to talk about the topic.
6. Which article is Chen ying’s favourite one ?is it news or an interesting story? The one she wrote about the efforts to bring stolen cultural relics back to china 7. Is the story ZhuLin like best about famous people ? If not, what is it about and why she likes it best? No,it isn’t. The story Zhu lin like best about an ordinary young woman who tries to adapt to her new life after studying abroad. 8.If you were a reporter, what would you like to write about? Various answers are possible.
9.What is the basic task for a reporter? To report an event truthfully. 10. What result can TV programmes and printed articles bring to us? They bring us a better understanding of the world on all sides, leading to a future world where people from and different views and opinions are tolerated
1.Newspaper and other media just record what happens. 2.The reporter has to discuss with the editor before he/she decides what to write. 3.Much has been done before the reporter starts writing. 4.Chen Ying’s favourite story is about an ordinary young woman. 5.The media can often help solve problems and draw attention to situations where help is needed. 1.Newspaper and other media just record what happens. 2.The reporter has to discuss with the editor before he/she decides what to write. 3.Much has been done before the reporter starts writing. 4.Chen Ying’s favourite story is about an ordinary young woman. 5.The media can often help solve problems and draw attention to situations where help is needed. True or false
1.face (to) the south be faced with 面临；面对 face up to 面对；承担 face the music （对自己的行为后果）接受批评 I was faced with a new problem. She couldn’t face up to the fact. The boy was caught cheating in the examination and had to face the music. 面对南方 e.g.
对 …… 很大方（慷慨） 2. be generous with sth. Your uncle is very generous to buy you that car for your birthday. He is generous with his money. It was generous of you to forgive her. e.g.
从某人（某地）抢走某物 3. rob sb. / a place of sth. rob ： steal ： pick ： rob sb. / a place of sth. steal sth. from sb. pick one’s pocket 4. without effort 毫不费劲地 He did it without effort. spare no effort make an effort make no effort to do 不遗余力地做某事 努力做某事 不努力做 抢某人的某物 偷某人的某物 扒某人的口袋 e.g.
5. more than ---- not only 不仅仅 （常与 simply, just 一起用加强语气） e.g. 1). China Daily is more than a newspaper but my friend. 2). Being a good listener means much more than just “ listening with ears”. 6. for once = just for once; just this once 只有这一次 e.g. 1 ） He beat me for once. 2 ） Just for once he arrived on time. 3) You can go with me, but just for this time.
7. relate … to 与 …… 有关联 e.g. 1) This paragraph relates to the international situation. 2) To what events did your remarks relate? 搭配记忆： be related to /with 与 …… 有关 have relation to sth. 同某事有关 in relation to 与 …… 有关
8. People to be interviewed = People who will be interviewed People interviewed = People who were / have been interviewed People being interviewed = People who are being interviewed e.g. the building to be built next year the building built last year the building being built now
9. be / get / become addicted to = unable to stop taking or using sth. as a habit 嗜好，沉溺于，醉心于 e.g. 1) Soon he became addicted to cigarettes. 2) He was often late for work after he got addicted to wine. 10. even if = even though 即使，虽然 e.g. 1 ） Even if I have to walk all the way, I’ll get there. 2 ） Even if we achieve great success in our work, we should not be proud.
11. draw attention to 对 …… 表示关注 e.g. 1 ） I’m embarrassed ( 使局促不安 ) about my mistake; please don’t draw attention to it. 2 ） He drew my attention to an error in the report. 12. on all sides = on every side 在各方面；四面八方 e.g. 1 ） There were mountains on all sides. 2 ） They were trapped with enemies on every side.