Presentation on theme: "Idioms & Phrases 1.pay attention to sb./sth. 2.in general 3.sooner or later 4.be (un)familiar to vs. be (un)familiar with 5.apply to sth./sb. 6.with care."— Presentation transcript:
Idioms & Phrases 1.pay attention to sb./sth. 2.in general 3.sooner or later 4.be (un)familiar to vs. be (un)familiar with 5.apply to sth./sb. 6.with care 7.in one’s opinion 8.depend on/upon 9.at least 10.sb. happen to V 11.be impressed with/by 12.treat sb. to sth. 13.be related to 14.the opposite (of …) 15.turn sb. down
1. pay attention to sb./sth. or give sb./sth. ~ attention Jimmy, you should pay close attention to your teacher in class. She didn’t give any attention to what he said at all. She was busy with her work. (On your own) 我答應我會全神注意聽他的演講。 I promise_____________________________ ___________________________________
2. in general/ generally speaking In general, my students are very attentive in class. (On your own) 大體而言，我對日本的第一印象不壞。 _________________________________ _________________________________
3. sooner or later If you keep listening to Studio Classroom programs, your listening will get better sooner or later. (On your own) 別擔心，你遲早會習慣於早起的。 ______________________________ ______________________________
4. be (un)familiar to vs. be (un)familiar with You look familiar to me. Have we met before? I’m unfamiliar with the new job. I still have a lot to learn. (On your own) 她似乎對這部機器不熟，你最好教 她怎麼使用它。 ________________ ______________________________
5. apply to sth./sb. This rule applies to anyone who wants to become a member of this club. (On your own) 這法令不見得適用於所有文化中。 _______________________________
6. with care It’s getting dark now; you should drive with great care. (On your own) 聽說這考試很難，你要小心答題。 _______________________________ _______________________________
7. in one’s opinion In my opinion, the test result is pretty good. In John’s opinion, we should put more emphasis on education than on politics. (On your own) 依我的看法，他們會搭火車到台南然後 坐計程車到我祖母家。 _______________ ___________________________________ ___________________________________
8. depend on/upon Children depend greatly upon their parents for food and clothing. (On your own) 為了不過度依賴父母，他決定找份兼差。 ___________________________________ ___________________________________
9. at least If you don’t want to come, at least let me know the reason. (On your own) 我敢說盒子裡至少有十隻鉛筆。 I bet __________________________ ______________________________
10. sb. happen to V I happen to know someone by the name of Nancy, but I don’t know if she is the one you want to see. (On your own) 我們無意間 ( 湊巧 ) 發現我們是同一所 國中畢業的。 ___________________ _______________________________ 。
11. be impressed with/by I was deeply impressed with your speech. It was quite impressive. (On your own) 大家對她的藝術作品印象深刻以致於 都忘了午飯這回事。 _______________ ___________ that they forgot all about lunch.
12. treat sb. to sth. If you help me with the homework, I’ll treat you to an ice cream cone. (On your own) 上禮拜王老師請我們看了場電影， 因為我們幫她照顧小孩。 _________ _______________________________ _______________________________
13. be related to How is Mary related to John? They are cousins. These two cases are closely related to each other. (On your own) 酸雨和環境污染很有關連。 Acid rain ____________________________ ____________________________________
14. the opposite (of…) A: I like to meet new people whenever I can. B: I’m the opposite. I feel nervous in front of strangers. (On your own) 有些年輕人喜歡做跟父母的期望相反的事。 ____________________________ what their parents expect them to do.
15. turn sb. down I dare not ask her out on a date because I’m afraid that I might get turned down. (On your own) Tom 邀 Mary 參加他的慶生會，但她 拒絕了他。 ____________________ ______________________________ ______________________________
1.I promise I’ll pay my undivided attention to his speech. 2.In general, my first impressions of Japan were not bad. 3.Don’t worry. You’ll get used to getting up early sooner or later. 4.She seems unfamiliar with the computer. You’d better teach her how to use it. 5.The law doesn’t always apply to all cultures.
6.It is said that the test is very hard. You have to answer the questions with care. 7.In my opinion, they’ll take a train to Tainan, and then take a taxi to my grandmother’s. 8.In order not to depend too much on his parents, he decided to find a part-time job. 9.I bet there are at least ten pencils in the box. 10.We happened to find out that we graduated from the same junior high school.
11.Everyone was so impressed with her art works… 12.Last week Mrs. Wang treated us to a movie because we helped her take care of her children. 13.is closely related to environmental pollution. 14.Some young people like to do the opposite of 15.Tom invited Mary to his birthday party, but she turned him down.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.