PREDICTING 1.Who do you think the Biddles are? This is your opinion.
2. What did Clay have in the paper bag next to him? In the paper bag, Clay had his copy of Robinson Crusoe and the English double decker bus.
3. Complete the following ‘T-Chart’ to describe the Biddles. Edwina Biddle Tall Broad shouldered Brown hair Henry Biddle Tall Broad in the shoulders Dark brown hair with streaks of white A joker A postal clerk who sorted mail all day
4.Why do you think Clay started to cry when he met Edwina Biddle? Do you think he was afraid of what was coming? This is your opinion.
5.How would you feel if you were Clay and the Biddles took you into their home? This is your opinion.
6.Do you think the Biddles often take in children? Why or why not? There were photographs in frames of children of various ages on the wall. There were games, toys, and books around that looked like they have been handled and read by many people.
7.What did Clay eat for dinner? Clay ate warm meat loaf, peas, and a boiled potato for dinner, and tapioca pudding for dessert.
8. What did Clay get when he went shopping with Mrs. Biddle? two pairs of shoes jeans corduroy pants sweater shirts socks underwear jacket hat toothbrush school bag belt
9.Who did Clay become friends with at school? Clay became friends with Earl Thickens.
10.While at the comic book store, where do you think Clay wants to go with Earl? What do you think he will find? Clay is hoping to go back to the park and see Buddy and/or Calvin.
11.How would you react if you found out your good friend lived in a park for 5 weeks? This is your opinion.
12. How did Clay help the Biddles around the house? How did he react to doing chores? -made the bed -dried dishes -helped clean the apartment -helped with the laundry Clay always did what he was asked to do. He never complained or balked.
13. What do you think Clay meant when he said “nothing lasted forever”? This is your opinion.
14.Who is Clay longing to see? Clay is longing to see Buddy.
15.Why do you think Mrs. Greg is at the Biddles? This is your opinion.
16.What news did Mrs. Greg have to share? She found Clay’s mom and new baby sister, Sophie. She was living in a shelter and will have a place of her own soon. Clay will eventually move back with her.
17.How did Clay feel about this? It wasn’t that Clay wasn’t glad, but he could not find the words to express himself since he was confused about the whole situation.
18.Why did Clay’s mom say she left? Clay’s mom said she fell apart, and all she could do was think about getting away from the hotel.
19.How would you feel if you were Clay at the end of the story, and why? This is your opinion.