2He said he had the right to sing; he was being patriotic. 1. The third time Philip sings the national anthem in Miss Narwin’s homeroom, he claims he has the right to do it. What does he mean?He said he had the right to sing; he was being patriotic.Dramatic Irony-is he really being patriotic?
3Philip wants Dr. Palleni to change his English class. 2. What does Philip want Dr. Palleni to do? What does this reveal about Philip’s real motive for singing the national anthem?Philip wants Dr. Palleni to change his English class.This shows that Philip’s REAL motive is that he caused a disruption so that he could get his classes switched and then hopefully run track.
43. What does Dr. Palleni suggest Philip do 3. What does Dr. Palleni suggest Philip do? What will happen if Philip doesn’t follow Dr. Palleni’s “advice”?Dr. Palleni suggests that Philip apologizes to Miss Narwin, and if he doesn’t, he will be suspended.
5Miss Narwin thought the suspension would be counterproductive. 4. What does Miss Narwin think about Philip’s suspension from school? This shows her character is more attentive to…Miss Narwin thought the suspension would be counterproductive.This shows her character is more attentive to the needs of her students.
65. What do you think Miss Narwin wanted to discuss with Dr 5. What do you think Miss Narwin wanted to discuss with Dr. Palleni but he would NOT give her time to discuss?Answers will vary
76. What rule does Dr. Palleni think Philip has broken when Philip is suspended? Dr. Palleni thinks Philip has caused a distraction in Miss Narwin’s homeroom, BUT he doesn’t know the full truth.
87. Could Dr. Palleni have handled this situation differently for a better outcome? How? Answers will vary
98. What rule do Philip’s parents believe he has broken 8. What rule do Philip’s parents believe he has broken? Why is this a problem?Mr. and Mrs. Malloy believe Philip was suspended for singing the national anthem without knowing the entire situation with Miss Narwin.
109. What are Ted Griffen’s motives? He wants to use the issue with Philip to further his campaign for school board. He wants to show how patriotic he is.
11She is a reporter for the Manchester Record. Answers will vary 10. Who is Jennifer Stewart? How could her involvement add to the conflict?She is a reporter for the Manchester Record.Answers will vary
1211. What is Philip’s internal conflict? Through his diary entry we can see that Philip understands that what he is doing is bad because he writes, “ Actually, I don’t feel so great. In a way, the whole thing is stupid.” But then he goes back to the thought that he was right because “ everybody says I was right. And I was.”