ENERGY FROM THE SUN Every human, plant, and animal depends on water for survival. It's controlled by the sun, which produces energy in the form of heat. This heat energy causes the water in the world's oceans, lakes, and even puddles in your backyard to warm and evaporate. The Water Cycle is powered by the Sun.
What are the major disadvantages of solar energy? The amount of sunlight that arrives at the earth's surface is not constant. It depends on location, time of day, time of year, and weather conditions. Because the sun doesn't deliver that much energy to any one place at any one time, a large surface area is required to collect the energy at a useful rate.
We use many different energy sources to do work for us. Energy sources are classified into two groups— renewable and nonrenewable.
Sources of Energy wind geothermal water biomass sun coal oil nuclear Natural gas
2. Identify the different renewable sources of energy
3. Identify the different non - renewable sources of energy
Renewable Energy includes biomass, hydropower, geothermal, wind, solar and others. Non-Renewable energy includes petroleum, natural gas, coal, uranium, and propane. Alternative energy sources include all renewable energy and uranium
Graph the U.S. Energy Consumption by Source Biomass - 2.9% Hydropower – 2.7% Geothermal – 0.3% Wind – 0.1% Solar and other – 0.1% Petroleum – 38.1% Natural gas – 22.9% Coal – 23.2% Uranium – 8.1% Propane – 1.7%
Graph the U.S. Energy Consumption by Source 2.9% 2.7% 0.3% 0.1% Renewable Energy 31.1% 22.9%23.2% 8.1% 1.7% Non-Renewable Energy
13. Directions: For each item mark whether “renewable energy” (RE) or “nonrenewable energy” (NRE). ___A. Water ___ F. Plastics ___B. Coal ___ G. Natural Gas ___C. Oil ___ H. cardboard ___D. Trees ___ I. Sunlight ___E. Paper ___ J. Lumber
_____RE_______A. water _____NRE_____B. coal _____NRE_____ C. oil _____RE______ D. trees _____RE______ E. paper _____NRE____F. Plastics _____NRE____ G. Natural Gas _____RE_____ H. cardboard _____RE_____ I. Sunlight _____RE_____ J. Lumber
14. How is renewable energy better than non renewable energy? A.Renewable energy is finite and cannot be regenerated easily. B.Renewable energy can be replenished by nature in a short amount of time C.Renewable energy is non-existent in nature. D.Renewable energy is always available and cannot be ruined.
15. How is non-renewable energy better than renewable energy? A.Non-Renewable energy is finite and cannot be regenerated easily. B.Non-Renewable energy can be replenished by nature in a short amount of time C.Non-Renewable energy is convenient and readily available. D.Non-Renewable energy is reusable and it does not run out.
16. Which one of the following statements best describes the "Greenhouse Effect"? A.The heating of the Earth by the Sun B.The process where heat from the sun is trapped in the Earth's atmosphere. C.The reflection of ultraviolet light, by the ozone layer in Earth's atmosphere. D.The process that causes every plant on Earth to grow.
17.Electrical energy can be produced from A.mechanical energy B.chemical energy C.radiant energy D.all of the above
18. Which uses the most energy in American homes each year? A.lighting B.water heating C.heating and cooling rooms D.refrigeration
19.The U.S. consumes lots of energy. Which fuel provides the most energy? A.petroleum B.coal C.natural gas D.solar
20. Coal, petroleum, natural gas, and propane are fossil fuels. They are called fossil fuels because: A.they are burned to release energy and they cause air pollution B.they were formed from the buried remains of plants and tiny animals that lived hundred of millions of years ago C.they are nonrenewable and will run out D.they are mixed with fossils to provide energy
21.Gasoline is produced by refining which fossil fuel? A.natural gas B.coal C.petroleum D.propane
22. Propane is used instead of natural gas on many farms and in rural areas. Why is propane often used instead of natural gas? A.it’s safe B.it’s portable C.it’s cleaner D.it's cheaper
23. What sector of the U.S. economy consumes most of the nation’s petroleum? A.residential B.commercial C.industrial D.transportation
24. Global warming focuses on an increase in the level of which gas in the atmosphere? A.ozone B.sulfur dioxide C.carbon dioxide D.nitrous oxide
25. Solar, biomass, geothermal, wind, and hydropower energy are all renewable sources of energy. They are called renewable because they A.are clean and free to use B.can be converted directly into heat and electricity C.can be replenished by nature in a short period of time D.do not produce air pollution
26. Today, which renewable energy source provides the U.S. with the most energy? A.wind B.solar C.geothermal D.hydropower
27. In a nuclear power plant, uranium atoms A.combine and give off heat energy B.split and give off heat energy C.burn and give off heat energy D.split and give off electrons
Please use the following graphic for questions 13 and 14.
28. The family decided to try to reduce their water use. Which of the following measures could help them save water? A. Run washing machines only when full B. Repair leaky faucets C. Turn off the tap when brushing their teeth D. All of the above
29. If everyone in the family agreed to take 5-minute showers instead of 10- minute showers, about how many liters of water would be saved each day? A.5 B.11 C.75 D.150