Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Compared to 537,000,000 Google hits if you enter “Fish” Jacob Fish Columbia University ed Belytschko Based on 112,000 Google Hits.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Compared to 537,000,000 Google hits if you enter “Fish” Jacob Fish Columbia University ed Belytschko Based on 112,000 Google Hits."— Presentation transcript:

1 Compared to 537,000,000 Google hits if you enter “Fish” Jacob Fish Columbia University ed Belytschko Based on 112,000 Google Hits

2 Enter “Belytschko” in Google Web Search

3 Enter “Belytschko” in Google Images Search Yoichiro Matsumoto Nicole Belytschko Justine Belytschko

4 Elected to National Academy of Sciences, 2011 William Prager Medal, Society of Engineering Science, 2011 Ted Belytschko on Wikipedia

5 Enter“Top authors in mechanical engineering”

6 To think big is to look for important problems at the cutting edge. Too many young researchers choose their topics by reading a paper and seeing how they can extend it - that is not how the important problems are found. You have to talk with many people, read both the literature of your disciplines and other fields, and identify the emerging fields and important problems. I fortunately stumbled into nonlinear finite elements through my consulting work early in my career - I wrote a crash code in 1971 when a visionary in DOT initiated a research program by selling the idea that crash testing could be replaced by computer simulation. To highlight the importance of working on new problems, I quote Arno Penzien, the Noble Prize winner who discovered the background radiation that underpins the big bang theory: “ there are two types of scientists: 2% discover new things and blaze new frontiers, the other 98% fix up their mistakes; the accolades go to the former.” Enter “Belytschko medal” - 2001 Timoshenko Medal Acceptance Speech

7 Transformational Research Transformational PaperImpactCitation Corotational Framework Nonlinear transient finite element analysis with convected coordinates. Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., 73: 255–271, 1973 (with Hsieh) Adopted in finite element commercial codes Direct methods for integration Efficient Large Scale Nonlinear Transient Analysis by Finite Elements, Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., 10: 579-596, 1976 (with Chiapetta, Bartell) Adopted in finite element commercial codes One-point integration and stabilization A Uniform Strain Hexahedron & Quadrilateral w. Orth. Hourglass Cont., Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., 17:679-706,1981 (with Flanagan ) Adopted in finite element commercial codes Continuum Theory of Strain-Softening Continuum Theory for Strain-Softening, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 110: 1666-1692, 1984 (with Bazant, Cheng) Actively pursued in practice Probabilistic Finite Elements Random field finite elements, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 23(10): 1831–1845, 1986 (with Liu, Mani) Spurred growth in stochastic FEM Element-Free Galerkin Method Element-Free Galerkin Methods, Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., 37: 229-256, 1994 (with Lu, Gu) Adopted in finite element commercial codes XFEM A finite element method for crack growth without remeshing, Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., 46 (1): 131–150. 1999 (with Moës, Dolbow) Adopted in finite element commercial codes Atomistic-continuum coupling Atomistic simulations of nanotube fracture, Phys. Rev. B, 65 (25): 235430, 2002 (with Xiao, Schatz) Spurred growth in computational nanotechnology Ted Belytschko – Transformational Researcher 563 2135 3632 465 420 631 179 380

8 Enter “ Belytschko LS-DYNA”

9 Enter “Belytschko medal”

10 Enter “Oden, Hughes, Belytschko”

11 Enter “Belytschko books”

12 Important comparison….

13 Recent Research Key objectives: -Survivability -Self-Defensibility -Affordability -Maintainability -Interoperability New Frontiers: -Writing a new book! -Day trading stocks! -Continue to inspire your former students!!!! -Learn to navigate new challenges – building couchmobile? Smooth Transition: -Stockability -Couchmobility -Tradability, -Inspirability -Bookability Couchmobile.com -Schmoozability -Couchmability

14 We (Google and I) are wishing you another 30 great years of life before you officially turn old at 100

15 Yang as Chancellor of the University of California, Santa Barbara


Download ppt "Compared to 537,000,000 Google hits if you enter “Fish” Jacob Fish Columbia University ed Belytschko Based on 112,000 Google Hits."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google