Presentation on theme: "HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL WASTE MANAGEMENT. 1.HAZARDOUS WASTE DEFINITION EPA Definition – General Definition – substance which may be hazardous to humans or."— Presentation transcript:
6) RCRA Amendment (1980) – HWSA “Comprehensive Waste Manag. System” “Cradle to Grave” Manag. System” a) Identify / classify waste b) Identify responsibility generator’ c) Standards treatment & disposal d) Standards for transportation e) Provides for enforcement
7) Superfund – 1980 & 1986 Identify existing waste sites Require containment and clean-up of existing sites “Community Right To Know” As a laboratory responsible for wastes, we need to minimize and safely handle hazardous wastes.
3. MINIMIZE WASTE PRODUCTION a. Comprehensive chemical management b. Surplus chemical exchange c. Recycling and reuse d. Substitution e. Microscale Experiments f. Volume reduction of wastes
4. Handling / Storage of Wastes a. Properly labeled containers b. Store away from other chemicals c. Segregation of wastes d. Regularly scheduled waste disposal pick-ups
5. General Laboratory Guidelines What can be disposed of in lab? What is a hazardous waste? 6. City of Salisbury Pretreatment Limits