WHY DO WE NEED AN AUP? ● Privacy Issues ● Safety Issues ● Security Issues ● Etiquette Issues ● Property Issues You can be arrested for breaking laws on-line. The AUP protects you!
USE OF THE INTERNET IN SCHOOL IS A “PRIVILEGE” NOT A “RIGHT” What is the difference between a privilege and a right? Points to remember: ● The WHPS Information Technology Department may “monitor” what you do on-line. ● Don’t do anything on-line you would not do in front of your teacher!
CONSEQUENCES!!!!! WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO ME IF I DON’T FOLLOW THE AUP? ● Loss of computer privileges in school. ● School discipline under the Code of Discipline. ● Arrest by the Police if I break a law online
Responsible Uses Section of the West Hartford Public Schools AUP What are reasons for the rules? 10 Student Responsibilities…
1. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY COMPUTER ACCOUNT AND EMAIL ACCOUNT. Safety, Etiquette, and Privacy Issues: ● Why should I never share my password with anyone? ● Why is it important to log off your account after you finish your work? ● Why should I never touch another student’s work left on a computer?
2. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY LANGUAGE. Etiquette and Safety Issues: 1. What is “bad” language? 2. What can happen to me if I use bad language on the school computers or on-line or if I point out bad language to other students? 3. What must I do If I see bad language on the computer or on-line? 4. Why is “bad” language a safety issue in school?
3. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW I TREAT OTHER PEOPLE. Safety and Etiquette Issues: ● Why are Bullying and Cyber Stalking crimes? ● What behaviors are considered bullying on-line? ● Why should you report hurtful posts directed at me or another student to an adult?
4. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY USE OF THE WEST HARTFORD PUBLIC SCHOOLS NETWORK. Safety, Security, and Property Issues: ● Why does the West Hartford Public School block sites? ● Why should I never download anything into a school computer without a teacher’s permission? ● Why are certain topics unacceptable for me to research and write about?
5. I AM A RESPONSIBLE MEMBER OF MY SCHOOL WHEN I AM ON-LINE. Etiquette, Privacy, and Safety Issues: ● What is personal information? ● Why is it important that I do not post any personal information about anyone in my school on Facebook or Instagram. ● Why is it important that I keep my personal information private on line? ● Why should I not make negative, hurtful, or embarrassing comments about any person at my school? ● Why should I think before I write and reread my posts before I post?
6. I AM RESPONSIBLE TO BE HONEST ABOUT WHO I AM ON-LINE. Safety and Privacy Issues: ● Why is it a crime to pretend to be someone else? ● Why is it a crime to use someone else’s account or password?
7. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR PROTECTING THE SECURITY OF THE WEST HARTFORD PUBLIC SCHOOLS NETWORK. Security Issues: ● Why does the West Hartford Public Schools use settings and site blocking to protect the network? ● What does it mean for me that the network is a “shared resource?” ● Why is it a danger to the computers and the network to download files from the net into school computers? ● Why is it a danger to use any device or CD from home on the network without a teacher’s permission? ● Why is using a cell phone, private laptop, or other device on a school network a danger to the network?
8. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR PROTECTING SCHOOL PROPERTY. Property and Security Issues: ● What can happen to me if I break or vandalize school property? ● Why is it so important not to move keyboards, mice, CD’s from one computer to another? ● Why is it important not to change the settings on a computer? ● Why is it important not to unplug or plug in computer or network cords without a teacher’s permission?
9. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR PROTECTING OTHER PEOPLE’S PROPERTY ON-LINE. Security, Privacy, and Property Issues ● What is plagiarism? Why can happen to me if I plagiarize? ● How do I make sure I am “quoting” and not plagiarizing when doing research on-line? ● What are copyright laws? ● Why is it a crime to download music and video that I do not own into a computer without paying for the songs or movies? ● What can happen to me if I break copyright laws?
10. I AM RESPONSIBLE TO FOLLOW SCHOOL RULES IF I PUBLISH ANYTHING ON-LINE. Safety and Privacy Issues: ● What is publishing on-line? ● Why do I need a teacher’s permission before I publish my work on-line? ● Why is it not safe to publish a picture on-line with a caption giving the first and last name of a person in the picture without the person’s permission? ● Why is it illegal to publish a picture of a child (a person under 18) with any identifying information without a parent’s written permission?