Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Mary's Meals is administered through Scottish International Relief a company limited by guarantee Coy No.SC265941 Reg. Office: Craig lodge, Dalmally Argyll.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Mary's Meals is administered through Scottish International Relief a company limited by guarantee Coy No.SC265941 Reg. Office: Craig lodge, Dalmally Argyll."— Presentation transcript:

1 Mary's Meals is administered through Scottish International Relief a company limited by guarantee Coy No.SC Reg. Office: Craig lodge, Dalmally Argyll PA33 1AR Registered Charity SCO22140, Tel: Web: Morality Discussion

2 So do we have an obligation to help people who are less fortunate than ourselves?

3 If world demographics were condensed to make up a village of 100 people, what would it look like?

4 - 20 people are malnourished - 15 people are overweight - 1 person is dying from starvation...

5 Of the energy in the village, 20 people consume 80% of it, and the other 80 people share the remaining 20%

6 - 20 people have no clean water - 15 adults are illiterate - 7 people have a computer - 1 person has a university degree

7 20 people fear death by bombardment, landmines or attack, or fear of rape/kidnapping by armed groups 48 people cannot practice their faith or speak freely without fear of imprisonment, torture or death

8 If you have money in the bank, money in your pocket, and some loose change elsewehere...

9 ...you are among the richest eight people in the village

10 Peter Singer: assumption that “suffering and death from lack of food, shelter and medical care is bad” If it's in our power to prevent something ‘bad’, we should But to what extent should we go to prevent it? This is where people disagree...

11 1. What level of sacrifice should we make? 2. What if you're one amongst many people who could help? 3. Is giving an obligation? If so, then, not giving is wrong. 4. Is letting someone die the same as killing them? (See James Rachels “Killing & Letting Die” for further reading)


Download ppt "Mary's Meals is administered through Scottish International Relief a company limited by guarantee Coy No.SC265941 Reg. Office: Craig lodge, Dalmally Argyll."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google