Presentation on theme: "Ch. 15 Review 1. Describe the process of Texas annexation – Texas first voted to join the U.S. in 1836, but was annexed by the U.S. in 1845. Under Congress’"— Presentation transcript:
Ch. 15 Review 1. Describe the process of Texas annexation – Texas first voted to join the U.S. in 1836, but was annexed by the U.S. in 1845. Under Congress’ terms, Texas entered the U.S. as a state rather than a territory. 2. Southern economy- The economy of the U.S. South was highly dependent on slavery 3. Henry Clay –A whig party candidate who initially opposed slavery
4. Joint resolution – President John Tyler called on both houses to pass a declaration of intent in favor of annexation 5. Anson Jones – The last Texas president presented to the Texas Congress the offer of annexation to the U.S. or recognition from Mexico if Texas stayed independent.
6. Branches of Government – (1) judicial – the courts system including the Supreme Court and district courts (2) legislative – the Senate and the House of Representatives make the laws (3) executive – Under the Texas Constitution of 1845, the governor headed this branch 7. Thomas J. Rusk – Along with Sam Houston, the Texas legislature voted them to the U.S. Senate
8. Democratic Party – Represented the political views of small business owners and farmers. 9. Whig Party – Represented the political views of banking and large businesses 10. Know-Nothing Party – In the 1850’s this party supported slavery and wanted to keep immigrants and Catholics out of government
11. Manifest Destiny – The belief that it was America’s divine right to annex Texas and spread across North America 12. Why was the United States worried about annexing Texas? Slavery 13. What two competing offers were at the Convention of 1845 concerning Texas annexation? Annexation or recognition by the Republic of Mexico
14. Under the annexation resolution, how would Texas pay off its debt? Selling public lands 15. How did the new constitution affect corporations? Could operate with permission from the legislature 16. What did President Tyler and Americans fear about Texas? Great Britain was gaining too much influence
17. Who was the first governor of the state of Texas? James Pinckney Henderson 18. How often would the state legislature meet? Every two years