Presentation on theme: "36. State the main points of Dalton’s atom theory using your own words"— Presentation transcript:
136. State the main points of Dalton’s atom theory using your own words 36. State the main points of Dalton’s atom theory using your own words. Which parts of Dalton’s theory were later found to be erroneous? Explain.Atoms are not indivisible and all atoms of an element are not identical
239. What particles are found in the nucleus of an atom 39. What particles are found in the nucleus of an atom? What is the charge of the nucleus?Protons and neutron; positive(charge equal to the number protons)
344. Explain why atoms are electrically neutral. The number of protons equals the number of electrons
446. Which particles account for most of an atom’s mass? Protons and neutrons
558. How do isotopes of a given element differ? How are they similar? Differ: number of neutrons, massesSimilar: chemical properties, number of protons and electrons.
659. How is an atom’s atomic number related to its number of protons 59. How is an atom’s atomic number related to its number of protons? To its number of electrons?They are all equal.(when neutral)
760. How is the mass number related to the number of protons and neutrons an atom has? Mass number = # of p + # of n
861. How can you determine the number of neutrons in an atom if its mass number and its atomic number are known?# of n = mass number - atomic number
962. What do the superscript and the subscript in the notation 4019 K represent? Superscript = mass number (40) (p + n)and subscript = atomic number (19) (p)
10Are the following isotopes of each other? Explain. Mg Mg MgYes. Isotopes are atoms of the same elementwith different atomic mass but the samenumber of protons
11Does the existence of isotopes contradict part of Dalton’s original atomic theory? Explain.Yes. Not all atoms of an element are identicalin mass.