Presentation on theme: "French Language Advanced Placement Enhancing the French Language Experience at Superior Heights."— Presentation transcript:
French Language Advanced Placement Enhancing the French Language Experience at Superior Heights
Advanced Placement AP French Exam May 15th, designed by College Board North American association of colleges & universities (think SATs) Outside of Canada and the United States, over 40 countries world-wide recognize AP French Language AP – was piloted at SJD on May 7, 2007
Advanced Placement Level 5 = Extremely Well Qualified Level 4 = Well Qualified Level 3 = Qualified Level 2 = Possibly Qualified Level 1 = No Recommendation Possible University Credit on university transcript if Level 3, 4 or 5 is achieved.Possible University Credit on university transcript if Level 3, 4 or 5 is achieved.
Available AP Subjects Art History Studio Art Biology Calculus Chemistry Computer Science Economics English Language English Literature Environmental Science French Language & CultureFrench Language & Culture Government & Politics European History US History World History Human Geography Music Theory Physics Psychology Spanish Language
FEE STRUCTURE Actual cost per exam is approximately $ 90(CDN) Only a $25 payment required. This fee is non-refundable. The Algoma District School Board where possible subsidizes the cost of taking the AP Exam.
The AP Advantage Achieve higher than non-AP students in second year university classes Smaller class size compared to first year university course Avoid some gatekeeper first year university courses AP students more likely to complete university degree Greater flexibility (eg. Course selections, double major) Skills and learning needed for university success in all courses beyond AP subject –Higher level thinking skills, less structure, style, time management –Greater confidence in university
How Do Students Prepare Voluntary – teacher and students Typically: 75% of AP Exam material already covered in Ontario course curriculum Remaining 25%: –Independent Study –Lunch Hour Teacher Mentored Study Group –Additional Reading and Study Activities –Enrichment Activities Additional preparation develops work and learning skills required for success in university
French Language & Culture AP Exam Tuesday, May 15 th, 2012 –3 hours (12:30 – 3:30 pm)Tuesday, May 15 th, 2012 –3 hours (12:30 – 3:30 pm) Evaluate how well students understand written and spoken French, and their ability to respond in correct French With the exception of directions, French is used exclusively in the exam materials and in student responses Equal emphasis on four skills: –Listening, reading, writing & speaking
French Language & Culture AP Exam Interpretive communication Section 1 - Interpretive communication ( Multiple Choice) A) Read short texts (eg. Journalistic & literary texts, announcements, advertisements, letters, maps & tables) B) Listen to authentic audio materials (eg. Interviews, podcasts, public service announcements, conversations and brief presentations) Identify main points significant details, purpose and intended audience, make inferences and predictions
French Language & Culture AP Exam Section 2 - (Free Response ) Interpersonal & Presentational Communication InterpersonalPresentational Written Spoken Read & reply to an e-mail message Persuasive Essay (using 3 given sources) Simulated conversation (respond to questions) Presentation (2 min)
Preparing Students French Instruction: –Grades 9-12 – Integrated AP-Style Activities Teaching, Assignments, Presentations, Tests –Grade 12 – Lunch Hour Teacher Mentoring tentatively Wed. @ 11:35 in room TBA tentatively starting Wed. Feb. 21 st. Semester Two, 1 day per week Preparatory Activities, Examine sample AP exam, practice questions, microphone activities Focus on style of questions Focus on speaking section
French Language AP and Canadian Universities Algoma U York U U of Western Ontario Carleton U U of Guelph U of Toronto (Scarborough) U of Ottawa Queens U McMaster U Lakehead U Nipissing U Laurentian U McGill U Concordia U Bishops U St. Thomas U Dalhousie U University credit for French Language AP is provided at most Universities including: Acadia U St. Marys UUBC U of Victoria U of Saskatchewan U of Manitoba U of Winnipeg Brandon U And more…
May 2007 SJD AP Results In May 2007, SJD became the first school in the ADSB to offer AP exams 13 SJD students wrote AP French Language
May 2008 SJD AP Results 7 out of 8 students writing the French Language Exam earned levels 3-5 Both French Immersion and Core French students have earned university credits through AP.
May 2009 SJD AP Results 6 out of 8 students writing the French Language Exam earned levels 3-5
May 2010 AP Results 19 grade 11 & 12 students wrote Largest group ever 17 out of 19 students earned levels 3-5
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.