Presentation on theme: ""— Presentation transcript:
Every year for ten days between the end of April and beginning of May, a remote corner in Romania witnesses an amazing show - the blooming en masse of the wild Peonia Tenuifolia. A rare and particularly beautiful type of botanical Peony - also called Steppe Peony, grows wild in an area of 3 hectares. A whole meadow explodes with the blood red simple blooms of this peony. The steppe peony (Paeonia tenuifolia), has a height of cm, with bright red flowers
Zau de Câmpie is a commune in the Mure ş County. Here, on Bota Hil, in the Northwest of the village, is the only place within the Carpathian arch where the steppe peony plant grows and is the northernmost point in Romania where this species is found. The first data about this steppe peonies were published in 1846 in Vienna The Steppe Peony Reservation from Zau de Câmpie was founded in 1932 by the academician Alexandru Borza, the founder of the Romanian school of botany. The natural reserve area had 2.5 hectares. The area was saved by Marcu Sâncrãian, the "father of the peonies", a passionate villager who protected voluntary the peonies from 1923 (!) to 2006, the year he died. He also fought to include the reservation in Romanian Academy's patrimonium and managed to increase the surface of the reservation at 3.5 hectares. In the blossoming season (May), that last exactly ten days, the beautiful meadow attracts many lovers of nature; The steppe peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)
Sibiu City with a population of 137,026, located some 282 km north-west of Bucharest.
Catholic Church (Biserica Catolicã)
Nowadays the capital of Sibiu County, between 1692 and 1791 and Sibiu was the capital of the Principality of Transylvania.
The Holy Trinity Cathedral (Catedrala Sfânta Treime), is the seat of the Romanian Orthodox Archbishop of Sibiu and Metropolitan of Transylvania. It was built in the style of a Byzantine basilica, inspired by Hagia Sophia, with the main spires influenced by Transylvanian church architecture and Baroque elements
His Grace Bishop Irineu Children come forward to venerate the cross
The Large Square is the historic center of Sibiu, first time mentioned in 1411 as corn market.
. In tandem with the city of Luxembourg, Sibiu was designated as European Capital of Culture for the year 2007.
Sibiu Anno Domini 1650
Podul Minciunilor - the Small Square of Sibiu and Liar's Bridge, an iron bridge (1859)
the Small Square of Sibiu and The Art House - Emil Sigerus Museum of Sibiu The Small Square of Sibiu and the Evangelical Church. This landmark monument of Sibiu was built during the 14th and 15th Centuries in a gothic style and has two pipe organs (organ concerts here almost every week).
Considered to be a forged iron gem, The Bridge of Lies is one of the most important symbols of the city. Rebuilt in 1859 by Friedrich Hütte in the former location of a wooden bridge, The Bridge of Lies is the first forged iron bridge in Romania (Second cast iron bridge to be built in Europe)
The Art House - Emil Sigerus Museum of Sibiu is known as 'Butchers' Hall and is one of the oldest guild houses Documentary certified in 1370, the historical monument located in the Small Square of Sibiu, is one of the most interesting building that embodies the type of a medieval trading hall The Art House - Emil Sigerus Museum of Sibiu
Catholic Church (Biserica Catolicã) The Jesuit monks built the church between 1726 and 1733 in Baroque style
Direc ţ ia Finan ţ elor Publice Bulevardul Vasile Milea
Brukenthal National Museum Opened to the public in 1817, the Brukenthal National Museum was originally Baron Samuel von Brukenthal's official residence. Built between 1778 and 1788, the palace, then comprising an art gallery and a library, was home to the entire collection. During his lifetime, the Baron transformed the palace into a veritable museum, one of the first museums in Romania.
Bringing together world - famous masterpieces of Flemish painting – including the famous betrothal portrait by van Eyck, The Man in the Blue Hat – the Brukenthal Collection is one of the most illustrious in Eastern Europe. In for the first time in its history, the Brukenthal National Museum offered on loan an incomparable group of some fifty works of art. On the occasion of this exhibition in Paris, at Jacquemart-André Museum, this group of about fifty major works was presented in France for the first time. Man in a Blue Turban - Jan van Eyck ( c – 1441) Hans Memling Pieter Brueghel II, The Younger Pieter Bruegel I, The Elder Lorenzo Lotto Jacob Jordaens Antonello da Messina
Sibiu Samuel von Brukenthal High School
Office tower and subsidiary of BCR (Banca Comercialã Românã)
The station is located near Sibiu city center. The international trains runs to Budapest (Hungary)
Almost all the roofs have ventilation openings in the funny and unusual shape of eyes.
Anca Mãrginean soloist of Sibiu Sibiel Painted Icons Museum
Poiana Sibiului is a commune in Sibiu County. The name means "the glade of Sibiu".
Biserica de lemn (Biserica din Deal)
Poiana Sibiului Biserica de lemn (Biserica din Deal)
The Lutheran evangelical church from Cristian Sibiu has been built on the ruins of an old roman basilica having as patron St. Servatius. There still exist some elements of the original church that dates back to the XIIIth century
The Cãlu ş ari were the members of a Romanian fraternal secret society who practiced a ritual acrobatic dance known as the cãlu ş. According to the Romanian historian Mircea Eliade, the Cãlu ş ari were known for "their ability to create the impression of flying in the air which he believed represented both the galloping of a horse and the dancing of the fairies (zâne).
Cãlu ş ari Cristian, Sibiu Cãlu ş ari dance in the Saxon fortified church of Cristian, Sibiu county, during the state visit of King of the Belgians Albert II and his wife Queen Paola The cãlu ş is a male group dance, although there are records of traditions from Oltenia region that included 1- 2 young girls, now obsolete.
Sound: Gheorghe Zamfir – Doina de la Domasnea Text and pictures: Internet Copyright: All the images belong to their authors Presentation: Sanda Foi ş oreanu