Presentation on theme: "Puławy is a town in eastern Poland, in Lublin Province (northern Lesser Poland), on the Wisła river. According to the 2006 census estimate, the town had."— Presentation transcript:
Puławy is a town in eastern Poland, in Lublin Province (northern Lesser Poland), on the Wisła river. According to the 2006 census estimate, the town had a total population of 49,839. Puławy is the capital of Puławy County. It was known as Nowa Aleksandria from 1846 to 1918.
History From the 17th century Puławy was the location of a rural residence of the Lubomirski, then the Sieniawski, noble families. In 1784 it became the property of Prince Adam Kazimierz Czartoryski and his wife Izabela Czartoryska, née Fleming. Under their stewardship, after the loss of Poland's independence in 1795 the palace became a museum of Polish national memorabilia and a major cultural and political centre. After the suppression of the November Uprising of 1830–31, the estate was taken over by the Russian government. The palace collections that had been saved became the nucleus of the present Czartoryski Museum in Kraków. The most valuable landmark in Puławy is the baroque-classicist palace and park complex, dating from 1676–79, remodeled 1722-36 and by Chrystian Piotr Aigner ca. 1800. It includes classicist park pavilions dating from the early 19th century. One of these, the colonnaded round Temple of the Sibyl.
Since 1966, a large chemical plant (Zakłady Azotowe Puławy) north of the town has been producing nitrate fertilizer. Recently the plant has become the world's largest producer of melamine.
Puławy in 18-19th century The Gateway Bridge in Puławy