Presentation on theme: "Warm up 8/5 Silently read over the Scientific Method Safety Rules handout. Follow the instructions at the top of the page. In your notebook, write “Warm."— Presentation transcript:
1Warm up 8/5Silently read over the Scientific Method Safety Rules handout.Follow the instructions at the top of the page.In your notebook, write “Warm up 8/5” and underneath list all of the broken safety rules you found in the handout.
3Image: http://morrisonlabs.com/lab_safety.htm What’s wrong? Identify 6 different safety concerns shown in the picture below.Image:
4The answers are … Don’t fool around during a lab. Always wear safety goggles when doing an experimentAlways point test tubes and other items away from yourself and others when heating.Don’t eat or drink while in the lab.Keep hair and other flammable objects away from flames.Don’t leave a flame unattended.Image:
6Image: http://morrisonlabs.com/lab_safety.htm What’s wrong? Identify 9 different safety concerns shown in the picture below.Image:
7The answers are … Always wear safety goggles during a lab. Don’t smell directly from a container - WAFT.Don’t heat closed containers.Keep your lab area neat and clean.Don’t place lab materials near the edge of the table.Keep papers and other flammable objects away from flames.Unplug equipment when not in use.Don’t leave materials laying on the floor.Clean up spills immediatelyImage:
9Lab SafetyScience is fun, but it can be dangerous! Make sure that you always follow your teacher’s directions and the following safety rules so that everyone can participate safely!
101. Always wear goggles!They may not be the most attractive of your outfit’s accessories, but they are very important!Goggles are a must when working with chemicals, hot liquids, bunsen burners, hot plates or things that could shatter or break!Take a look at these folks who didn’t wear goggles!
112. Wear appropriate lab clothing! NO Sandals!Always roll up sleeves and secure loose clothing while working in the lab.Wear closed-toe shoes!When going outside for a field study, make sure you are wearing proper shoes that you can hike in (tennis shoes are fine).Tie back long hair!
123. Follow your teacher’s directions! Do NOT ever perform experiments that you have not been authorized to perform.Follow your teacher’s directions for the experiment very carefully.You must be mature and serious when working in the laboratory because it can be dangerous to yourself or others!
134. Know where the safety Equipment is! Take time right now to locate the following:A)Fire ExtinguisherB)Fire BlanketC)Eye Wash StationD)Safety ShowerE)First Aid Kit
145. Know the fire evacuation route! We will practice this monthly in school-wide fire drills, but make sure you know the fire evacuation route for this room!
156. NO HORSEPLAY!No horseplay, “I was just playing around” or pranks will be allowed during lab or field work. You will be asked to sit down and receive an automatic zero for your lab grade for that day.These things can be dangerous to yourself and others when in the lab or field.
167. Wear protective gloves. Wear gloves when working with irritating chemicals, preserved specimens, and when handling plants or animals as directed by your teacher.
178. Point test tubes AWAY from you when heating! Always heat test tubes pointing AWAY from you to keep the contents from splashing onto your face or body.
189. Be careful of sharp objects! Keep your hands away from the sharp edges of scalpels, scissors, or other sharp objects in the lab or field.
1910. Hands, Mouths and Noses to yourself, please! Never touch, taste or smell substances in the lab unless told to by the teacher!No eating, drinking or chewing gum in the lab!Always “waft” or fan to smell a chemical in the laboratory; NEVER SNIFF!YES!NO!
2011. Report any accidents, spills or problems IMMEDIATELY! Always report accidents or spills to your teacher immediately.Be especially careful when working with glass and always get your teacher to clean up any broken glass.HELP!
2112. Always check the labels! Look twice and pour once! Always double-check your container labels to make sure you are using the correct chemical for your experiment!
2213. Dispose of chemicals and materials properly! Do NOT pour chemicals down the drain unless instructed to by your teacher!Never return unused chemicals to the containers you got them from….dispose of them as your teacher tells you to do.NO!!!!!!
2314. Don’t touch Animals, plants or lab equipment without teacher’s permission! DO NOT touch, tease or disturb animals. Follow your teacher’s direction when working with organisms.Wear gloves as instructed when working with plants or animals.Wash hands after working with plants and animals.Inform your teacher immediately if bitten, stung, scratched or harmed by an animal during lab/field activities.No activities which inflict harm or pain on any vertebrate animal will be allowed in lab/field activities.
2415. Finally….THINK before you ACT! Think Lab Safety and ACT ACCORDINGLY!!!Laboratory Peer Pressure
261. R A W E O L G E G S G 2. F W T A, not F W F H I Can you unscramble all the phrases below? Hint: They are all related to safety.1. R A W E O L G E G S G2. F W T A, not F W F H I3. S H A W O R U Y N H A S D4. L O F L W O I E C R D I T O N S5. O D T N’ O L F O R U O N A D
271. R A W E O L G E G S G WEAR GOGGLES 2. F W T A, not F W F H I The answers are ...1. R A W E O L G E G S G2. F W T A, not F W F H I3. S H A W N H A S D4. L O F L W O I E C R D I T O N S5. O D T N’ O L F O R U O N A DWEAR GOGGLESWAFT, not WHIFFWASH YOUR HANDSFOLLOW DIRECTIONSDON’T FOOL AROUND