Presentation on theme: "1) New Perspectives on Mission for the 21 st Century Acknowledgement of the Churchs rich heritage in Mission work world wide."— Presentation transcript:
1) New Perspectives on Mission for the 21 st Century Acknowledgement of the Churchs rich heritage in Mission work world wide.
2) Five Marks of Mission The church has traditionally followed the five marks of mission: Tell Teach Tend Treasure Transform
3) Some continuities and discontinuities Mission is in essence Gods action through human agents. The church is one of the agents for the Mission of God.
4) New directions for Mission Multi-directional Multi-cultural Multi-lingual
5) Biblical foundation: Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
6) Biblical foundation: Matthew 28:19-20 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember I am with you always, to the end of the age.
7) Notes on the Mission texts Offer a counter to the dominant world view of pax romana. Power is not in the military might of the Emperor and his agents.
8) Notes on Mission Power is with Jesus, who, by His resurrection has triumphed over death. Power is delegated to the disciples as they are to go on the Mission of God. They are to take a global–local approach. Sometimes called Glocal or G/LOCAL strategy. The task of mission is to make disciples.
9) What then are the new perspectives for Mission in the 21 st Century? Mission is listening, discerning and discovering together, at the point of our mutual and deepest need, the movement of Gods love to all creation. Mission begins with people in their struggles for the fullness of life: Justice! Justice: Food, Water, Shelter & Liberty. Mission is reading the signs of the times and unmasking the falsehoods of empire where ever they locate themselves.
10) More perspectives Mission is solidarity and friendship Mission is prophetic action like just wages, fair trade Mission is proclamation that another world is possible because God is still speaking. Mission is participation in the spirituality of ubuntu: Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu. (I am because you are and you are because I am, and therefore together we can!)
11) Thoughts on Mission If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together. (Ms. Lilla Watson, a native Australian woman addressing a missionary serving in her country.)
12) Further thoughts on Mission (from the UCCSA Mission Plan for the Local church) The world today operates with what is sometimes referred to as the champagne economic model, where: 80% of the worlds wealth is owned by 20% of the worlds population; 11% of the worlds wealth is owned by the next 20% of the population of the world And the bottom 60% of the worlds population own 6% of the worlds wealth.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.