Presentation on theme: "Scientific Notation By the end of class you will be able to express numbers in scientific and decimal notation."— Presentation transcript:
1Scientific NotationBy the end of class you will be able to express numbers in scientific and decimal notation.
2How wide is our universe? 210,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles(22 zeros)This number is written in decimal notation. When numbers get this large, it is easier to write them in scientific notation.
3A number is expressed in scientific notation when it is in the form a x 10nwhere a is between 1 and 10and n is an integer
4Write the width of the universe in scientific notation. 210,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 milesWhere is the decimal point now?After the last zero.Where would you put the decimal to make this number be between 1 and 10?Between the 2 and the 1
52.10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.How many decimal places did you move the decimal?23When the original number is more than 1, the exponent is positive.The answer in scientific notation is2.1 x 1023
61) Express 0.0000000902 in scientific notation. Where would the decimal go to make the number be between 1 and 10?9.02The decimal was moved how many places?8When the original number is less than 1, the exponent is negative.9.02 x 10-8
7Write 28750.9 in scientific notation. x 10-5x 10-4x 104x 105
82) Express 1.8 x 10-4 in decimal notation. 3) Express 4.58 x 106 in decimal notation.4,580,000
94) Use a calculator to evaluate: 4.5 x 10-5 1.6 x 10-2 TypeYou must include parentheses if you don’t use those buttons!!(4.5 x ) (1.6 x )Write in scientific notation.x 10-3
105) Use a calculator to evaluate:. 7. 2 x 10-9. 1 5) Use a calculator to evaluate: x x 102 On the calculator, the answer is:6.E -11The answer in scientific notation is6 xThe answer in decimal notation is
116) Use a calculator to evaluate (0. 0042)(330,000) 6) Use a calculator to evaluate (0.0042)(330,000). On the calculator, the answer is1386.The answer in decimal notation is1386The answer in scientific notation is1.386 x 103
127) Use a calculator to evaluate (3,600,000,000)(23) 7) Use a calculator to evaluate (3,600,000,000)(23). On the calculator, the answer is:8.28 x 1010The answer in scientific notation is8.28 x 10 10The answer in decimal notation is82,800,000,000
13Write (2.8 x 103)(5.1 x 10-7) in scientific notation.
14Write in PROPER scientific notation Write in PROPER scientific notation. (Notice the number is not between 1 and 10) 8) x 1092.346 x 10119) x 104on calculator: 6426.42 x 10 2