Presentation on theme: "As I have loved you, Love one another. This new commandment: Love one another. By this shall men know Ye are my disciples, If ye have love One to another."— Presentation transcript:
We usually think of our neighbor as someone who lives near us.
This lesson helps us understand what Jesus taught about who our neighbors are and how we should treat them.
Lesson 20: Parable of the Good Samaritan, Primary 7: New Testament, 66
Is it important for us to have love for others? The Jews felt that they were better than the Samaritans. Lets read MMMM aaaa tttt tttt hhhh eeee wwww :::: ––––
They disliked the Samaritans so much that when Jews traveled from Jerusalem to Galilee, they would take the longer way through the Jordan Valley rather than travel through Samaria. Jerusalem Galilee Nazareth Sea of Galilee SAMARIA Bethlehem JUDEA
Jesus told many stories, or parables, to help people learn the truth. One day a leader of the Jews asked Jesus what he must do to have eternal life.
Jesus said that he was right. Then the leader asked, Who is my neighbor? The Savior asked him what the scriptures said. The leader said that a man should love God and also love his neighbor.
Jesus answered by telling the man a story. One day a Jewish man was walking on the road to the city of Jericho. Thieves robbed and beat him. They left the man on the road, almost dead.
Soon a Jewish priest came by and saw the man. The priest walked by on the other side of the road. He did not help the man.
Another Jewish man who worked in the temple came by. He saw the injured man. But he did not help the man either and walked by on the other side of the road.
Then a Samaritan man came along. The Jews and the Samaritans did not get along. But when the Samaritan saw the man, he felt sorry for him.
The Samaritan took the man to an inn and cared for him until the next day. He took care of the mans wounds and put clothes on him.
When the Samaritan had to leave, he gave money to the innkeeper and told him to take care of the man.
After Jesus told the story, He asked the Jewish leader which of the three men was a neighbor to the injured man.
The leader said that the Samaritan was because he had helped the man. Jesus told the Jewish leader to be like the Samaritan.
What did Jesus say we need to do to inherit eternal life? Lets read L L L L L uuuu kkkk eeee :::: –––– Why do you think these commandments are so important? Lets read M M M M M aaaa tttt tttt hhhh eeee wwww :::: ––––
How can we show our love for Heavenly Father and Jesus? Lets read J J J J J oooo hhhh nnnn :::: –––– & :::: ,,,, Who is your neighbor? Do you think Jesus meant only the people who live close to you?
What question was Jesus answering when he told the parable of the Good Samaritan? Lets read LLLL uuuu kkkk eeee :::: ,,,,
Why do you think the Jewish priest and the Levite did not help the wounded Jewish man? Lets read Luke 10:31–32 Luke 10:31–32 Luke 10:31–32
What did the Samaritan do for the wounded Jewish man? Lets read LLLL uuuu kkkk eeee :::: ––––
Why is it significant that it was a Samaritan who helped the Jewish man?
What characteristics of a good neighbor did the Samaritan have? How does this story help us understand who our neighbor is? How can we become better neighbors?
Who do you think loved the Lord the mostthe priest, the Levite, or the Samaritan? Why?
How can we follow Jesus teachings and show love for other people? How should we treat: s someone who needs our help? someone who is different from us? someone who might have been unkind to us?
Have you had an experience when you gave service to someone in need or when you or your family received help from others?
When you show love for others by helping and serving them, how do you feel? Does it make you feel closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus?
What great blessing will we inherit if we truly love Heavenly Father and our neighbors? Lets read Luke 10:25–28 Luke 10:25–28 Luke 10:25–28
Enr. Act. 1 Each of you will take turns reading the part a&b slides that follow…
(1) a. Visit his or her home. (1) b. Attend Primary and other Church meetings. Enr. Act. 1 Part B: I can show love for Heavenly Father when I- Part A: I can be a good neighbor to a new child in my neighborhood when I-
(2) a. Invite him or her to my home. (2) b. Make my home a place where Heavenly Fathers Spirit can be. Enr. Act. 1 Part A: I can be a good neighbor to a new child in my neighborhood when I- Part B: I can show love for Heavenly Father when I-
(3) a. Learn something about the child. (3) b. Read the scriptures. Enr. Act. 1 Part A: I can be a good neighbor to a new child in my neighborhood when I- Part B: I can show love for Heavenly Father when I-
(4) a. Talk with him or her. (4) b. Pray. Enr. Act. 1 Part A: I can be a good neighbor to a new child in my neighborhood when I- Part B: I can show love for Heavenly Father when I-
(5) a. Do something for the child. (5) b. Obey the commandments. Enr. Act. 1 Part A: I can be a good neighbor to a new child in my neighborhood when I- Part B: I can show love for Heavenly Father when I-
(6) a. Do something for his or her family. (6) b. Serve others. Enr. Act. 1 Part A: I can be a good neighbor to a new child in my neighborhood when I- Part B: I can show love for Heavenly Father when I-
(7) a. Invite the child to join my activities. (7) b. Pray for Heavenly Fathers Spirit to be with me. Enr. Act. 1 Part A: I can be a good neighbor to a new child in my neighborhood when I- Part B: I can show love for Heavenly Father when I-
How do they compare to the two commandments Jesus gives in Matthew 22:37 & 39? Matthew 22:37 & 39Matthew 22:37 & 39 Enr. Act. 2 Lets take turns reading the Ten Commandments from E E E E E xxxx oooo dddd uuuu ssss :::: 3333,,,, 4444,,,, 7777,,,, 8888,,,,
Where should each of the Ten Commandments go? Enr. Act. 2 Love Heavenly Father Love Others
Lets read JJJJ oooo hhhh nnnn :::: ,,,, Enr. Act. 2 Keeping any commandment helps us show our love for Heavenly Father.
Lets memorize M M M M M aaaa tttt tttt hhhh eeee wwww :::: –––– Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Enr. Act. 3
I love our Heavenly Father and Jesus and am grateful for the gospel. I encourage each of you to follow Jesus example of loving others.
Images and clipart are from lds.org, sugardoodle.net, Microsoft Office, and other websites indicating the images were in the public domain or permitted for church and home use. The hymn, lesson and scripture story are from lds.org. Please do not use this presentation for commercial use. Feel free to alter the presentation for use in church or home to suit personal preference. This presentation is intended to supplement, not replace, the lesson manual and scriptures. Teachers should refer to the manual, scriptures and other resources when preparing and conducting the lesson.